Tagged with Archives and Collections, artists, BACS, business archives, Business Archives Council of Scotland, Edinburgh College of Art, Glasgow School of Art, GSA, GSA Archivist, inspiration, Meet the Archivists, Susannah Waters
The Business Archives Council of Scotland is holding its 2nd Meet the Archivists workshop on Friday 20th September at the Edinburgh College of Art.
This year the focus is on creative and design use of business archives. So this event is aimed at college of art students, architectural and design students but all students are welcome to attend.
The aim of this event is to bring together archivists, academics and this year artists to discuss and explore with students how business archive collections can be used for their research. Glasgow School of Art’s Archivist Susannah Waters will be discussing Arts organisations’ archives in Glasgow with a focus on Glasgow School of Art and the Centre for Contemporary Arts.
The programme will feature talks from archivists and artists on the projects inspired by or that have made use of archive collections:
- Cabinets, drawers and dark places – the artist’s perfect resource – Bartholomew Archive, National Library of Scotland
- The Illustrated Archive – The John Gray Centre
- The Sir Basil Spence Archive – Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland
- Stoddard-Templeton Archive: inspiring new works – University of Glasgow
- Heriot-Watt Textile Archive – Heriot-Watt University
- Arts organisations’ archives in Glasgow: Glasgow School of Art and the Centre for Contemporary Arts – Glasgow School of Art
- Drawing, Painting, Designing and Creating the Story: Research and Inspiration in the Art College Archive – Edinburgh College of Art
There will also be an discussion panel in the afternoon and over lunchtime an opportunity to meet and chat with archivists about their collections, plus practical demonstrations of how to find business archive collections online. A series of animation shorts inspired by the Edinburgh College of Art Archive will be screened over lunch.
A full detailed programme is available on the Scottish Council of Archives website http://www.scottisharchives.org.uk/discover/awareness/workingarchive/events/meetarchivists
To register for this free event, please visit the following link: http://meetthearchivists.eventbrite.co.uk/