Showing 295 results

Archival description
Interior design With digital objects
Print preview View:

Wall hanging designed for The Dug-Out, Willow Tea Rooms, Glasgow

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 23rd May 2014. The canvas relates to smaller watercolours in the Hunterian collection, formerly thought to be textile designs, and to their painted canvas, 'The Little Hills' by Margaret Macdonald. It is likely that they were intended for 'The Dug-Out', though it is not known whether they were ever installed there. Jessie Newbery recalled in 1933, that 'He (Mackintosh) and his wife spent the winter of 1914 painting two large decorations for Miss Cranston'. This would have been in Suffolk, after they had left Glasgow. Although The Dug-Out was not created till 1917-18 it is not unlikely that Miss Cranston was considering the project some years earlier. The canvas was found in the GSA in a single roll in 1981 and was cleaned and mounted on two stretchers.

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Wall hanging designed for The Dug-Out, Willow Tea Rooms, Glasgow

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 23rd May 2014. The canvas relates to smaller watercolours in the Hunterian collection, formerly thought to be textile designs, and to their painted canvas, 'The Little Hills' by Margaret Macdonald. It is likely that they were intended for 'The Dug-Out', though it is not known whether they were ever installed there. Jessie Newbery recalled in 1933, that 'He (Mackintosh) and his wife spent the winter of 1914 painting two large decorations for Miss Cranston'. This would have been in Suffolk, after they had left Glasgow. Although The Dug-Out was not created till 1917-18 it is not unlikely that Miss Cranston was considering the project some years earlier. The canvas was found in the GSA in a single roll in 1981 and was cleaned and mounted on two stretchers.

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Domino table for the Chinese Room, Ingram Street Tea Rooms

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 23rd May 2014. This item was assessed for conservation in 2010 as part of the Mackintosh Conservation and Access Project (2006-2010). Designed for the Blue or Chinese Room at the Ingram Street Tea Rooms, Glasgow. The fretted back and side rails match the Chinese style motifs of the Blue Room (as called in the job books). Much of the woodwork in the Chinese Room was painted bright blue or red, but there is no trace of any finish having been applied to these chairs other than the ebonising which most of them still display. These chairs have always been associated with the Chinese Room and so must be identified with the entry for thirty-six in the job books (Roger Billcliffe). All the chairs rwere eupholstered in blue horsehair in 1985. The Ingram Street Tea Rooms were purchased by Glasgow Corporation in 1951 for £25,000 and were then rented out as various shops and warehouses.

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Chair for Chinese Room, Ingram Street Tea Rooms

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 23rd May 2014. This item was assessed for conservation in 2010 as part of the Mackintosh Conservation and Access Project (2006-2010). Designed for the Blue or Chinese Room at the Ingram Street Tea Rooms, Glasgow. The fretted back and side rails match the Chinese style motifs of the Blue Room (as called in the job books). Much of the woodwork in the Chinese Room was painted bright blue or red, but there is no trace of any finish having been applied to these chairs other than the ebonising which most of them still display. These chairs have always been associated with the Chinese Room and so must be identified with the entry for thirty-six in the job books (Roger Billcliffe). All the chairs rwere eupholstered in blue horsehair in 1985. The Ingram Street Tea Rooms were purchased by Glasgow Corporation in 1951 for £25,000 and were then rented out as various shops and warehouses.

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Windsor chair for the Library, Glasgow School of Art

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 23rd May 2014. Designed for the Library at Glasgow School of Art. This item was assessed for conservation in 2010 as part of the Mackintosh Conservation and Access Project (2006-2010). A more elegant version of the windsor chairs designed for the Dutch Kitchen at Argyle Street (Billcliffe 1906.49). These chairs proved much too delicate for their original purpose; only eight of approximately forty have survived, and all of these have had to be reinforced. They were replaced in the GSA Library c1950 by the much sturdier chairs originally designed for the Ingram Street Tea Rooms, MC/F/67. The Ingram Street Tea Rooms were purchased by Glasgow Corporation in 1951 for £25,000 and were then rented out as various shops and warehouses.

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Chair for Ingram Street Tea Rooms

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 23rd May 2014. This item was assessed for conservation in 2010 as part of the Mackintosh Conservation and Access Project (2006-2010).
Designed for the Oak Room, Ingram Street Tea Rooms, Glasgow. Probably designed to provide the basic seating unit in the Oak Room. An unusual design for Mackintosh in that it is a very strong chair and now used in the Glasgow School of Art library. These were introduced by the School into the library c.1950 as a replacement for the more fragile windsor chairs originally designed for the room. The chamfering along the back-rails of the chair anticipates the similar waggon-chamfering on the library balustrade. The Ingram Street Tea Rooms were purchased by Glasgow Corporation in 1951 for £25,000 and were then rented out as various shops and warehouses.

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Chair for Oak Room, Ingram Street Tea Rooms

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 23rd May 2014. This item was assessed for conservation in 2010 as part of the Mackintosh Conservation and Access Project (2006-2010).
Designed for the Oak Room, Ingram Street Tea Rooms, Glasgow. The wavy top rail and twin back rails echo the bent laths fitted to the Oak Room balcony and also used on the dresser. All chairs repaired and re-rushed 1985. The Ingram Street Tea Rooms were purchased by Glasgow Corporation in 1951 for £25,000 and were then rented out as various shops and warehouses.

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Low-backed armchair for Board Room, Glasgow School of Art

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 23rd May 2014. This item was assessed for conservation in 2010 as part of the Mackintosh Conservation and Access Project (2006-2010).
Designed for the (new) Board Room, Glasgow School of Art. A more elaborate version of the chairs designed for the original Board Room in 1899 (MC/F/18).

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Square table for Hous'hill

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 23rd May 2014. This item was assessed for conservation in 2010 as part of the Mackintosh Conservation and Access Project (2006-2010).
Designed for Miss Cranston's home at Hous'hill, Nitshill, Glasgow. A white table was originally placed at the window of the music room in Hous'hill. It was purchased at the 1933 exhibition and loaned to the GSA by the same family who purchased half the White Bedroom suite. In 1920 (after the death of her husband) Miss Cranston sold the property with its furniture to Mr Gamble, who took much of the furniture with him when he left. In 1927 the house was leased to John Henderson, and in 1934 extensively damaged by fire and purchased by Glasgow Corporation for demolition; all the interior fittings were destroyed. It is not known where the black table was originally used in the house, or even if it indeed came from Hous'hill.

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Round table for Willow Tea Rooms

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 23rd May 2014. This item was assessed for conservation in 2010 as part of the Mackintosh Conservation and Access Project (2006-2010).
Designed for the Billiards Room, Willow Tea Rooms, Glasgow. This table does not appear in contemporary photographs of the Tea Rooms. It is cruder in construction and more robust than the other round table, MC/F/46, and so has affinities with the heavier looking furniture designed for the Billiards Rooms. The square cut-outs on the legs echo the similar arrangements of squares on the panel dividing the fitted seating in the Billiards Room. (Roger Billcliffe).

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Bedside table for Windyhill

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 23rd May 2014. Table designed for Windyhill, Kilmacolm, possibly later than 1901. Identical to a white table (collection: Hunterian Art Gallery) but dark stained. The final account for the furniture supplied to Davidson for Windyhill in 1901 does not mention the two dark stained tables so it is probable that they were made later for the children's bedrooms. (Roger Billcliffe). This item was assessed for conservation in 2010 as part of the Mackintosh Conservation and Access Project (2006-2010).

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Chair for Ingram Street Tea Rooms

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 23rd May 2014. Designed for the Ingram Street Tea Rooms, Glasgow. Identical with MC/F/24 except for the shortened rear uprights and splats. Probably originally designed for the Cloister Room, but cut down in 1912 because of the new low ceilings installed at that time. (Roger Billcliffe). Reupholstered in brown horsehair 1984. The Ingram Street Tea Rooms were purchased by Glasgow Corporation in 1951 for £25,000 and were then rented out as various shops and warehouses. This item was assessed for conservation in 2010 as part of the Mackintosh Conservation and Access Project (2006-2010).

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Chair for Ingram Street Tea Rooms

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 23rd May 2014. Designed for the White Dining Room, Ingram Street Tea Rooms, Glasgow. The basic chair used in the main dining room, and the Cloister Room in 1900. The original seat coverings were probably horsehair. Reupholstered in brown horsehair, 1984. The Ingram Street Tea Rooms were purchased by Glasgow Corporation in 1951 for £25,000 and were then rented out as various shops and warehouses. This item was assessed for conservation in 2010 as part of the Mackintosh Conservation and Access Project (2006-2010).

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Domino table for Argyle Street Tea Rooms

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 23rd May 2014. Designed for Argyle Street Tea Rooms, Glasgow. At least four examples of this table appear in contemporary photographs of the Smoking and Billiards Rooms at Argyle Street. Some appear in photographs of the Ingram Street Tea Rooms taken in the 1940s - possibly Mackintosh specified them for the Cloister Room but it is more likely that they were taken when the Argyle Street Tea Rooms were closed in 1920. The lower shelves held the cups and plates and unused dominoes of the four players.The GSA originally owned a second example of this table, which was donated to the Museum of Modern Art in New York in 1958 by Douglas Percy Bliss, then Director of GSA. The Ingram Street Tea Rooms were purchased by Glasgow Corporation in 1951 for £25,000 and were then rented out as various shops and warehouses. This item was assessed for conservation in 2010 as part of the Mackintosh Conservation and Access Project (2006-2010).

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Card table for Argyle Street Tea Rooms

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 23rd May 2014. Designed for Argyle Street Tea Rooms, Glasgow. A very similar table with a square top was also used in the Argyle Street Tea Rooms, and a white version appears in Annan's photograph of Mackintosh's drawing room in Mains Street. Top repaired and repolished 1985. This item was assessed for conservation in 2010 as part of the Mackintosh Conservation and Access Project (2006-2010).

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Schoolroom bench for Gladsmuir

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 23rd May 2014. This item was assessed for conservation in 2010 as part of the Mackintosh Conservation and Access Project (2006-2010).
Design for Gladsmuir, Kilmacolm. Designed to match the schoolroom tables and bookcase, the thistle motif pierced in the legs being repeated in the leaded glass of the bookcase.

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Dressing Table for Guthrie and Wells

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 23rd May 2014. Designed for Guthrie and Wells, Glasgow. This and others pieces of green stained furniture made by Guthrie and Wells, were collected by William Davidson for his house Gladsmuir and later in Windyhill. Guthrie and Wells, originally founded as a painting and decorating firm by J and W Guthrie, who entered into partnership with Andrew Wells in 1895, played an important role in the history of decor and design in Glasgow. They were the most important of the stained glass studios emerging in Glasgow in the 1890s, supplied furniture, glass, mosaics etc and had a reputation for first class craftsmanship and always employed excellent designers. This item was assessed for conservation in 2010 as part of the Mackintosh Conservation and Access Project (2006-2010).

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Results 1 to 50 of 295