Showing 294 results

Archival description
Interior design With digital objects
Print preview View:

Dressing Table for Guthrie and Wells

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 23rd May 2014. Designed for Guthrie and Wells, Glasgow. This and others pieces of green stained furniture made by Guthrie and Wells, were collected by William Davidson for his house Gladsmuir and later in Windyhill. Guthrie and Wells, originally founded as a painting and decorating firm by J and W Guthrie, who entered into partnership with Andrew Wells in 1895, played an important role in the history of decor and design in Glasgow. They were the most important of the stained glass studios emerging in Glasgow in the 1890s, supplied furniture, glass, mosaics etc and had a reputation for first class craftsmanship and always employed excellent designers. This item was assessed for conservation in 2010 as part of the Mackintosh Conservation and Access Project (2006-2010).

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Papers of Jane Richards and Fiona Jean Paton, students of The Glasgow School of Art

  • DC 083
  • Collection
  • c1908-1980s

This collection relates to Jane Richards and her granddaughter Fiona Jean Paton who both studied at The Glasgow School of Art.

It includes:

  • An artist’s palette owned by Jane Richards, c1910
  • a small box of watercolour paints owned by Jane Richards, early 20th century
  • a portrait drawn by Jane Richards, c1908-1910
  • a photograph of Jane Richards, c1914-1918
  • a photograph of Jane Richards' husband in uniform, c1914-18
  • two watercolour landscapes by Jane Richards, 1907 and 1911
  • even prints produced by The Dux Engraving Co Ltd, early 20th century
  • two portraits drawn by Robert Eadie, c1909
  • three sketchbooks for product design furniture by Fiona Jean Paton, early 1980s
  • eight photographs and eleven slides relating to product design furniture, early 1980s.

Please note that this material is not yet fully catalogued and therefore some items may not be accessible to researchers.

One item was damaged in the fire in GSA's Mackintosh Building on 23rd May 2014 and was conserved in 2018-19.

Richards, Jane

Washstand for Guthrie and Wells

Designed for Guthrie and Wells, Glasgow. This and others pieces of green stained furniture made by Guthrie and Wells, were collected by William Davidson for his house Gladsmuir and later in Windyhill. Guthrie and Wells, originally founded as a painting and decorating firm by J and W Guthrie, who entered into partnership with Andrew Wells in 1895, played an important role in the history of decor and design in Glasgow. They were the most important of the stained glass studios emerging in Glasgow in the 1890s, supplied furniture, glass, mosaics etc and had a reputation for first class craftsmanship and always employed excellent designers. This item was assessed for conservation in 2010 as part of the Mackintosh Conservation and Access Project (2006-2010).

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Linen Cupboard for John Henderson

Designed for John Henderson.'One of the earliest surviving pieces with repousse panels, here designed by Mackintosh. Although probably made by cabinet makers such as Guthrie & Wells, it has none of the more traditional mouldings that appear on the commercial bedroom units, probably because Mackintosh was designing directly for a client. The pendant leaf motif at the base was slowly transformed in later pieces, into a characteristic dip in the lower stretcher or apron based upon a favorite Mackintosh motif, the swooping bird.' (Roger Billcliffe). This item was assessed for conversation in 2010 as part of the Mackintosh Conservation and Access project (2006-2010), and then again in 2018 following the fire in the Mackintosh Building in June 2018.

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Results 1 to 50 of 294