This image is provided under a Creative Commons BY-NC-SA License. You can download this version for private study or non-commercial use. Our terms, conditions and copyright policy (PDF) contains further information about acceptable usage. If you are seeking permission to publish, please contact us ›
- 1909 (Creation)
Level of description
Content and Structure
Scope and content
The cover image features two women and two men.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Originally located within folder (DC 098/1/3).
Name of creator
Haswell Miller was a painter and curator, born in Glasgow, where he studied at The Glasgow School of Art under Maurice Greiffenhagen and Jean Delville, 1906-9, then for a year in Munich. He was married to the artist Josephine Miller. Miller taught at The Glasgow School of Art for 20 years from 1910, apart from during World War I, then was keeper and deputy director of the National Galleries of Scotland, 1930-52. He also held positions with the Royal Fine Arts Commission, National Buildings Record and Scottish Council. He also wrote, especially on military uniforms. He sometimes signed his work H M, and exhibited at RSW, of which he was a member, and RSA, also RA and Royal Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts. Imperial War Museums and Glasgow Museums and Art Galleries hold his work. He lived for many years in Edinburgh but latterly in Gillingham, Dorset. A E Haswell Miller appears on The Glasgow School of Art's First World War Roll of Honour, where he is commemorated as a captain of the Highland Light Infantry. He was decorated with a military cross. If you have any more information, please get in touch.
Name of creator
The Glasgow School of Art Club was formed under Fra. Newbery in 1885/1886 to enable former students access to GSA and allow for informal meetings between staff, former and present students. The Club's activities included exhibitions, "at homes", theatrical productions and the Vacation Prize Scheme, which was developed to encourage sketching and painting in the open during the summer months. The Clubhouse was in Blythswood Square.
A later iteration was established by The Glasgow School of Art, Glasgow, Scotland, in 1969. The Club was affiliated to the Students Union and was therefore open to present students and also current staff. The society's constitution claims that it object was "the provision for for the members thereof of recreational, social and educational facilities." The Club provided a snack bar and licensed bar as well as meeting rooms.
Physical Description and Conditions of Use
Conditions governing access
Glasgow School of Art Archives and Collections are open for research by appointment. For further details, please refer to our Access Policy @ https://gsaarchives.net/policies
Conditions governing reproduction
Application for permission to reproduce should be submitted to The Archives and Collections at The Glasgow School of Art.
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use and condition of material.
For further details, please refer to our Reprographic Service Guide @ https://gsaarchives.net/policies
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Ink printed on paper.
Dimensions: 190 x 275 mm
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Place access points
People and Organisations
- The Glasgow School of Art Club (Subject)
Genre access points
Level of detail
Catalogued by Javier Garcia, Intern, Aug 2023.
Digitised item metadata