How to download this image:
Click/tap the above image to see a larger version. When this appears in your browser, you can download it with a
right-click on a PC or MAC, or
long-tap on a touch-screen device, then select
Please click here if you would like to request a larger, high-resolution version ›
This image is provided under a Creative Commons BY-NC-SA License. You can download this version for private study or non-commercial use. For further information about acceptable usage, please review the 'Copyright and Terms & Conditions' document in the Policies & Guides area. If you are seeking permission to publish, please contact us ›
- 1896-1967 (Creation)
Level of description
1 Linear Foot
Content and Structure
Scope and content
- Diary written while travelling on Keppie Scholarship, 1913-1914
- Collection of 250 postcards of European cities, paintings, sculptures collected on tour, 1913-1914
- 12 ink sketches of Childe Ronald's Pilgrimage by TWYM (aka A.S. Boyd), n.d.
- Exhibition catalogues
The collection also includes original illustrations drawn by A S Boyd (aka TWYM) and Stephen Reid, both noted Scottish illustrators.
Additional uncatalogued material includes
- x 6 photographs
- x1 GSA practical notes on materials for painting
- x1 diploma for May Jackson
- x1 diploma scroll for William Reid Hunter
Please note that this material is not yet fully catalogued and therefore some items may not be accessible to researchers.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
This material has been appraised in line with Glasgow School of Art Archives and Collections standard procedures.
System of arrangement
The arrangement reflects that in which it was deposited.
Name of creator
William Reid Hunter was born in Alloa on the 24th of February 1896 to Nellie Lennox Hunter (née Reid) and George Hunter, a grocer. He studied drawing and painting at The Glasgow School of Art for a year in 1914 before enlisting with the Royal Army Medical Corps. He returned to the School in 1918, where he continued to study drawing and painting until 1924 while working as a teacher. He is listed on the School's World War One Roll of Honour.
Name of creator
Physical Description and Conditions of Use
Conditions governing access
Glasgow School of Art Archives and Collections are open for research by appointment. For further details, please refer to our Access Policy @ https://gsaarchives.net/policies
Conditions governing reproduction
Application for permission to reproduce should be submitted to The Archives and Collections at The Glasgow School of Art.
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use and condition of material.
For further details, please refer to our Reprographic Service Guide @ https://gsaarchives.net/policies
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
There are no physical characteristics that affect the use of this material.
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
No known copies
Place access points
People and Organisations
- The Glasgow School of Art (Subject)
- Hunter, William R (Subject)
Genre access points
Level of detail
- Fonds level description compiled by Adele Ashley-Smith, Archivist, 2000-2001.
- Updated by David Powell, Hub Project Archivist, 6 September 2001.
- Updated by David Powell, Hub Project Archivist, 14 May 2002.
- Fonds level description imported from the Archives Hub 24 August 2006.
- Archives Hub description updated by Carrie Skinner, Logjam Project Officer, September 2011
- Catalogue imported into Archon software and edited by Michelle Kaye, Archon Project Officer, May 2014.
- Catalogue exported from Archon and imported into AtoM during system migration, 2018-2019.
Finding Aid Authors: The Glasgow School of Art Archives and Collections.
© Copyright 2014 GSA Archives. All rights reserved.
Digitised item metadata