Print preview Close

Showing 1429 results

Archival description
Fine arts With digital objects
Print preview View:

Records of the Scottish Society of Art Workers

  • DC 001
  • Collection
  • 1898-1901

This collections contains:

  • A notebook containing the constitution and rules of the society signed by its members
  • Printed version of the constitution and rules, c1898
  • Minute book, 1898-1900
  • Letter from John Keppie to Fra. Newbery re: the Glasgow School of Art receiving a copy of the constitution and rules, 1901

Keppie, John

Fairies

Mackintosh's style here is the closest he came to that of Margaret and Frances Macdonald, but his figures are always more substantial and the subject matter less whimsical than theirs.

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

The Village, Worth Matravers

In July Mackintosh and Margaret Macdonald spent a holiday in Dorset re-visiting many of the place he had visited in 1895. 'In 'The Village' and 'The Downs' Mackintosh makes his first conscious moves towards his mature style of the Port Vendres period. He is obviously concerned with the pattern of the landscape, picking out features like the stepped hillside, the stone walls, paths and roofs of village houses. These ordinary motifs are given an eerie emphasis by being painted in an equally detailed manner whether they are in the foreground of the the distance... it was probably at this time... that he decided to concentrate more and more on painting. By 1923 he had decided to forsake architecture and design and devote the rest of his life to producing watercolours.' (Roger Billcliffe).

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Wall hanging designed for The Dug-Out, Willow Tea Rooms, Glasgow

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 23rd May 2014. The canvas relates to smaller watercolours in the Hunterian collection, formerly thought to be textile designs, and to their painted canvas, 'The Little Hills' by Margaret Macdonald. It is likely that they were intended for 'The Dug-Out', though it is not known whether they were ever installed there. Jessie Newbery recalled in 1933, that 'He (Mackintosh) and his wife spent the winter of 1914 painting two large decorations for Miss Cranston'. This would have been in Suffolk, after they had left Glasgow. Although The Dug-Out was not created till 1917-18 it is not unlikely that Miss Cranston was considering the project some years earlier. The canvas was found in the GSA in a single roll in 1981 and was cleaned and mounted on two stretchers.

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Stained glass cartoon for the church of St Clement and St James, Horsley, near Derby

Stained glass cartoon for a two light memorial window. Inscribed: Our Souls Inspire'. For the church of St Clement and St James, Horsley, near Derby. This window was one of two, two light windows designed for Guthrie and Wells, the Glasgow firm of decorators who began stained glass production in 1884 and won a reputation for first class craftsmanship and always employing excellent designers (beginning in 1887 with Sir James Guthrie). Bell first designed glass for the firm in 1895 when he won the competition for new windows for the Royal Church at Crathie, and he continued to design for them for twenty-three years. In the 1920s he also designed for the City Glass Company, and examples of his work are still in the Glasgow area.

Bell, Robert Anning

Shroud II

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 23rd May 2014. Shrouded figure in foreground, striped background.

Brown, Neil Dallas

Results 1 to 50 of 1429