- 1940 (Creation)
Level of description
Content and Structure
Scope and content
This collection contains:
- Original and typescript of Christine Shaw's diary, Jan 1940-Dec 1940
- Photographs taken in the grounds of Glasgow School of Art featuring fellow students Carlo Rossi, Joe O'Donnell, Christine Cramond, Charlie McNamee and Nita Begg [c1940]
- Presscutting featuring fellow students Leonard Clegg, Christine Cramond and Tony Brook preparing a decorative paper figure for the GSA Christmas Ball, 1940
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
This material has been appraised in line with Glasgow School of Art Archives and Collections standard procedures.
System of arrangement
The material is arranged chronologically.
Name of creator
Christine Emily Shaw (nee Cramond) was born 9 June 1921 in Partick, Glasgow, Scotland. She attended Hyndland Secondary School before moving to Milngavie in the early 1930s, where she attended Bearsden Academy. There, her art teacher was William Armour, known to the students as 'Paddy'.
Christine started at the Glasgow School of Art in 1939 and kept a diary from January-December 1940. In it she interspersed records of her day to day activities in the School with descriptions of, and opinions on, fellow students and staff including Carlo Rossi, Joan Eardley, Margot Sandeman, T Willison, Leonard Clegg, Hugh Adam Crawford, W O Hutchinson, Henry Y Alison, Campbell Mackie, Harriet Henson, John Miller, Benno Schotz, Bill Crosbie and others. Visits to Mary and William Armour 's house are well documented as are social activities in Milngavie, East Dunbartonshire, Scotland, and the experience of living in Glasgow during the first year of the Second World War.
Unknown. Immediate source of acquisition was as a gift from Christine Shaw, October 1997.
Physical Description and Conditions of Use
Conditions governing access
Glasgow School of Art Archives and Collections are open for research by appointment. For further details, please refer to our Access Policy @ https://gsaarchives.net/policies
Conditions governing reproduction
Application for permission to reproduce should be submitted to The Archives and Collections at The Glasgow School of Art.
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use and condition of material.
For further details, please refer to our Reprographic Service Guide @ https://gsaarchives.net/policies
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
There are no physical characteristics that affect the use of this material.
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
No known copies.
Place access points
People and Organisations
- The Glasgow School of Art (Subject)
- Crawford, Hugh Adam (Subject)
- Mackie, Thomas Callendar Campbell (Subject)
- Sandeman, Margot (Subject)
- Schotz, Benno (Subject)
- Alison, Henry Young (Subject)
- Armour, William (Subject)
- Hutchison, Sir William Oliphant (Subject)
- Eardley, Joan Kathleen Harding (Subject)
Genre access points
Level of detail
- Updated by David Powell, Hub Project Archivist, 11 June 2002
- Fonds level descriptions imported from the Archives Hub 24 August 2006.
- Archives Hub description updated by Carrie Skinner, Logjam Project Officer, September 2011
- Catalogue imported into Archon software and edited by Michelle Kaye, Archon Project Officer, May 2014.
- Catalogue exported from Archon and imported into AtoM during system migration, 2018-2019.
Finding Aid Authors: The Glasgow School of Art Archives and Collections.
© Copyright 2014 GSA Archives. All rights reserved.