- Mid 19th century-early 20th century (Creation)
Level of description
Content and Structure
Scope and content
Original: Attributed to Gregorio di Allegretto, 1476. Marble. Church of Santa Giustina, Padua, Italy. On the front of the sarcophagus the body of the saint is carved in relief, lying on a bier and covered with a cloth. At the ends are reliefs of angels swinging censers. Annotated "182A Brucciani & Co, London".
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Name of creator
Domenicho (Domenico) Brucciani (1815-1880) was born in Lucca, Italy and migrated to England in the first half of the nineteenth century. He established a business which produced casts of sculptural works from international collections. By 1837 he owned a showroom near Covent Garden and was selling works to the British Museum and the South Kensington Museum (now the Victoria and Albert Museum). By 1857 D. Brucciani & Co. were working for the British Museum, making moulds and casts of their classical sculptures, bronzes and other pieces, to be sold commercially. The company was successful during Brucciani's lifetime as it capitalised on the nineteenth century fashion to have plaster casts of sculptural works in the home. Following his death his business was purchased by another Italian, Joseph Caproni (1846 - 1900), who retained the name D. Brucciani & Co., and the business continued to manufacture casts, with customers including the Fitzwilliam Museum and the Museum of Classical Archaeology. However, as demand for plaster casts declined in the twentieth century, the business failed. Consequently, it was purchased by the V&A and operated as the Department for the Sale of Casts until 1951 when it was forced to closed due to financial losses.
This item is currently on display in The Glasgow School of Art's Stow Building. For access information please email email@example.com.
Listed in 1964/5 inventory as located on the main staircase of the Mackintosh Building (GSAA/GOV/7/5).
Physical Description and Conditions of Use
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Dimensions: 650 x 1900 x 20 mm