Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Thomas Peach Weir Young was born in Glasgow on 6 February 1892, the son of Thomas Shaw Young, iron merchant, and his wife Mary Scott, who he had married at Holmfield, Manitoba, Canada on 7 September 1888. Weir attended The Glasgow School of Art from 1909 to 1914 studying architecture. He was an able student and received severable honourable mentions. Following the war he returned to The Glasgow School of Art from 1919 to 1920 to take an evening course in etching. From 1909 to 1914 he was an apprentice with the architectural practice, Peter MacGregor Chalmers. Immediately after completing his apprenticeship in September 1914, he enlisted in the armed forces. In WW1, he served with the Highland Light Infantry, initially as a cadet with his promotion to 2nd Lieutenant (on probation) confirmed in the Gazette in July 1916, before being seconded to the Royal Flying Core in February 1917 as a Flying Officer. He returned to Chalmers' office as assistant in June 1919 and passed the final exam in 1920. He was still in the same office when he was admitted ARIBA in mid-1921, his proposers being Alexander Nisbet Paterson, William Hunter McNab and John Keppie.
From 1925, he was in partnership with John Jeffrey Waddell as Jeffrey Waddell and Young Architects in Glasgow until the partnership was dissolved in 1939. Much of his work with this practice involved religious buildings, mainly adaptations to churches in Glasgow and the surrounding areas such as Gourock Old Parish Church and Kelvinside Free Church and also elsewhere in Scotland including Castle Douglas Parish Church and St Mary's Parish Church in Banff. Appropriately, Young's practice was also responsible for the St. Andrews Church of Scotland in Ixelles, Belgium which was built in 1925 as a memorial to the Scottish Presbytarian soldiers who died in Belgium in WW1. The church seats 200, continues to be well attended with services conducted in English. Other religious buildings carried out by the practice included Langside Synagogue in Glasgow in 1926. With the design for St Margaret's Church Hall in Knightswood, only the church hall was carried out while the commission for the main church was lost to Lorimer in 1928. Young also served with the RAF in the Second World War. T.P. W. Young is commemorated on The Glasgow School of Art's First World War Roll of Honour. He also appears on the Glasgow Institute of Architects Roll of Honour (Student).
If you have any more information, please get in touch.
Sources: Scotland's People: http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk; discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk; http://search.findmypast.co.uk: http://www.airhistory.org.uk; British Military Lists http://digital.nls.uk; The Gazette http://www.thegazette.co.uk