Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Edward G Wylie, Dip. Arch. was born in 1885, the son of a commercial traveller and brushmaker. From 1900-1905 he apprenticed with architect W F McGibbon, during which time he studied part-time at the Glasgow School of Art (1901) and at the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College. From 1904 Wylie studied full time at the Glasgow School of Architecture, where he met Eugene Bourdon. Wylie went on to teach at the School from 1912 to 1927, taking leave during the First World War (1914-1918) to join the Durham Light Infantry. Wylie's notable designs include Hillhead High School; the Dental Hospital on Renfrew St., and with his partner Alexander Wright, the award-winning Scottish Legal Life Building, Bothwell St. In 1937 he was appointed chief consultant architect to the Scottish Industrial Estates in 1937, and designed many of their buildings. He was also responsible for several First World War memorials. Wylie appears on Glasgow School of Art's First World War Roll of Honour as well as on the Glasgow Institute of Architects Roll of Honour (Associate). He also won the Military Cross.
If you have any more information, please get in touch.