Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Alexander Wingate was born in Hillhead, Glasgow on September 1st 1875, one of five children of Mary Ann Wingate (née Taylor) and Walter Wingate, a calico printer. Wingate attended The Glasgow School of Art from 1892 to 1896 as a full-time student of architecture. Wingate obtained a place in the office of John Burnet & Son, from which he moved to London in 1899 as assistant to Arthur Beresford Pite, enabling him to take classes at the Architectural Association and Heatherley's Life School. In 1901 he was awarded a medal in the Advanced Class of Design at the Architectural Association. He remained with Pite until 1903, returning to continue practice in Glasgow in 1905. Wingate was appointed Glasgow Institute of Architects representative to the Architectural Department of the Royal Technical College in 1913. He formed a partnership with James Campbell Reid in the following year. Reid & Wingate's most important building was the McKechnie warehouse on Bell Street, Glasgow. During the First World War, Wingate served in 9th Glasgow Highland battalion, in the Highland Light Infantry regiment, in which he received the title of 2nd Lieutenant. He died in action in France in October 13th 1915. He was awarded the British War Medal and Victory Medal for his service. Wingate is commemorated on The Glasgow School of Art's First World War Roll of Honour as well as on the Glasgow Institute of Architects Roll of Honour (Associate).
If you have any more information, please get in touch.
Sources: the Dictionary of Scottish Art and Architecture by Peter J M McEwan; the Dictionary of Scottish Architects: http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk; Scotland's People: http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.