Primary contact167 Renfrew Street
GB G3 6RQ
The Glasgow School of Art Archives were established in 1994 to select and preserve the School's historically significant records and make them available to researchers. In 2001 the Archives joined with the School's Museum Collections to offer a combined research service for visitors.
The Archives and Museum Collections are continually being expanded, as the School's non-current records are identified for permanent preservation and through the deposit of material from related individuals and organisations.
The Glasgow School of Art is one of the last remaining independent art schools in Britain. It was originally established as a government School of Design and opened in January 1845. With funding from the Haldane Trust the School was able to initiate teaching in the fine arts and was incorporated as the Glasgow School of Art in 1892.
For over 150 years the School has occupied a central role in the education of artists, designers and architects, through teaching and research. For the last century the School has been based in and around a world famous building designed specifically for the School by Charles Rennie Mackintosh.
The School's Archives reflect its institutional history and its position as a specialist repository for archive collections relating to art, design, architecture, and art education. They are a wonderful resource for charting developments in these fields and for studying many of the important and influential figures involved in them. The collections are also useful for anyone interested in local, social, institutional or family history and they are also regularly used by creative practitioners.
The archives include student records, prospectuses, annual reports, Directors correspondence files, Governors minutes and other administrative papers. They also include photographic material, ephemera, and student sketchbooks and preparatory work.