Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
James McIntyre Stevenson was born in Slamannan, Stirlingshire on the 30th of December 1887 to Isabella Stevenson (née McIntyre) and John Stevenson, a teacher. He studied architecture at The Glasgow School of Art from 1904 to 1909. He emigrated to Calgary, Canada in 1911, where he worked as a draughtsman before forming a partnership with Leo Dowler. In 1915 he enlisted with the Canadian Oversees Expeditionary Forces. He served in France until June 1916, when he was wounded in the battle of Ypres. He returned to Calgary in 1919 where he was appointed as Resident Architect for the federal Department of Public Works, Alberta. In 1928 he formed a partnership with George Fordyce until his death in 1944. Stevenson then went into partnership with his son in a firm that was to become one of the largest architectural offices in Western Canada. He retired in 1956, succeeded by his son. He died in Calgary on the 4th May 1956. James M Stevenson is listed on The Glasgow School of Art's World War One Roll of Honour.
If you have any more information, please get in touch.
Sources: Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada 1800 - 1950: http://www.dictionaryofarchtectsincanada.org.