Stained glass (visual works)

Taxonomy

Details / Notes

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Stained glass (visual works)

Equivalent terms

Stained glass (visual works)

Associated terms

Stained glass (visual works)

36 Archival description results for Stained glass (visual works)

36 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

Memorial to Eugene Bourdon

Inscribed: Centre panels, top to bottom: 1. R F/Pro Patria. 3. To the honoured memory of Capitaine Eugene Bourdon, Professor of Architecture in this School, who fell in action on the Somme, July 1st 1916. 4. Amour sacre de la patrie conduis, souhens nos bras vengeurs, Liberte cherie, combats avec le defenseurs.

Bell, Robert Anning

Poster for the murals and stained glass degree show

This poster advertised the work of graduating students from the murals and stained glass department which was exhibited as part of The Glasgow School Of Art Degree Show in 1983. The exhibition ran from the 14th to the 21st of June and was held in the Mackintosh Building on The Glasgow School Of Art Campus. The murals and stained glass department later went on to become the sculpture and environmental art department in 1985.

Not available / given

Scene from Tristan and Isolde

Stained glass panel. Inscribed above: "Glasgow School of Art"; below: "Isolde Mark's wife who gave the love potion to Tristan". It was one of Fra Newbery's considerable achievements to see the need for training students in industrial art and design and persuade the governors to establish a decorative arts department. His annual report of 1893 announces 'This room has been specially fitted up and artist craftsmen have been engaged to give instruction in such subjects as glass staining, pottery, repousse and metalwork, wood carving and book binding, beside Artistic Needlecraft taught by a Lady.' Early teachers of stained glass at the GSA included Norman Macdougall, Harry Roe and William Stewart. Among the students were Jessie Rowat, Emily Hutcheson, Herbert MacNair, Stephen Adam Jr, W.G Morton and Dorothy Carleton Smyth.

Smyth, Dorothy Carleton

Stained glass cartoon for St Mark's Church, Southport

The design depicts the Blessed Virgin Mary on the left side and a young boy (Hartley?) on the right. Design is for the lower section of a window in St Mark's, Southport; dedicated to the memory of Sir William Pickles Hartley of the Primitive Methodist Movement. Inscribed: 'What doth the Lord require of thee but to do justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with thy God?'.

Bell, Robert Anning

Stained glass cartoon for the church of St Clement and St James, Horsley, near Derby

Stained glass cartoon for a two light memorial window. Inscribed: 'Come Holy Ghost'. For the church of St Clement and St James, Horsley, near Derby. This window was one of two, two light windows designed for Guthrie and Wells, the Glasgow firm of decorators who began stained glass production in 1884 and won a reputation for first class craftsmanship and always employing excellent designers (beginning in 1887 with Sir James Guthrie). Bell first designed glass for the firm in 1895 when he won the competition for new windows for the Royal Church at Crathie, and he continued to design for them for twenty-three years. In the 1920s he also designed for the City Glass Company, and examples of his work are still in the Glasgow area.

Bell, Robert Anning

Stained glass cartoon for the church of St Clement and St James, Horsley, near Derby

Stained glass cartoon for a two light memorial window. Inscribed: Our Souls Inspire'. For the church of St Clement and St James, Horsley, near Derby. This window was one of two, two light windows designed for Guthrie and Wells, the Glasgow firm of decorators who began stained glass production in 1884 and won a reputation for first class craftsmanship and always employing excellent designers (beginning in 1887 with Sir James Guthrie). Bell first designed glass for the firm in 1895 when he won the competition for new windows for the Royal Church at Crathie, and he continued to design for them for twenty-three years. In the 1920s he also designed for the City Glass Company, and examples of his work are still in the Glasgow area.

Bell, Robert Anning