Item PC/049C - Plaster cast of Virgin and Child roundel

Key Information

Reference code

PC/049C

Title

Plaster cast of Virgin and Child roundel

Date(s)

  • Mid 19th century to 20th century (Creation)

Level of description

Item

Extent

1 item

Content and Structure

Scope and content

Original: Andrea della Robbia (1435-1525), c1470. Glazed terracotta in a carved and gilt wood frame. Virgin and Child with two cherub heads. Circular relief originally in blue and white enameled terracotta. The Virgin holds the Child standing on her right. She is represented half-length turned slightly to the left, supporting the Child in a standing posture beside her. He holds the end of her veil in his right hand. The eyes are painted in brown and black. Original currently in the collection of The National Museum of Bargello, Florence, Italy. Annotated "D Brucciani & Co" and "324".

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

General Information

Name of creator

(Early 19th-mid 20th century)

Administrative history

Domenicho (Domenico) Brucciani (1815-1880) was born in Lucca, Italy and migrated to England in the first half of the nineteenth century. He established a business which produced casts of sculptural works from international collections. By 1837 he owned a showroom near Covent Garden and was selling works to the British Museum and the South Kensington Museum (now the Victoria and Albert Museum). By 1857 D. Brucciani & Co. were working for the British Museum, making moulds and casts of their classical sculptures, bronzes and other pieces, to be sold commercially. The company was successful during Brucciani's lifetime as it capitalised on the nineteenth century fashion to have plaster casts of sculptural works in the home. Following his death his business was purchased by another Italian, Joseph Caproni (1846 - 1900), who retained the name D. Brucciani & Co., and the business continued to manufacture casts, with customers including the Fitzwilliam Museum and the Museum of Classical Archaeology. However, as demand for plaster casts declined in the twentieth century, the business failed. Consequently, it was purchased by the V&A and operated as the Department for the Sale of Casts until 1951 when it was forced to closed due to financial losses.

Archival history

This item is currently on display in The Glasgow School of Art's Stow Building. For access information please email archives@gsa.ac.uk.

Custodial history

Physical Description and Conditions of Use

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical Description

Finding aids

Related Material

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related materials

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Keywords/Tags

Place access points

People and Organisations

Genre access points

Administrative Information

Description identifier

GB 1694 PC/049C

Institution identifier

GB 1694

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAD(G): General International Standard Archival Description - Second edition

Status

Level of detail

Processing information

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organisations

Related genres

Related places