- Mid 19th century-early 20th century (Creation)
Level of description
Content and Structure
Scope and content
This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018.
Original: Michelangelo, originally for the tomb of Pope Julius II in 1505, began to carve the Slaves in 1513, as part of a modified project. On the pope's death, the project changed once again, for financial reasons. Michelangelo donated the Slaves to Roberto Strozzi, who brought them to France. Original currently in the collection of the Louvre, Paris, France.