- 13th century to 16th century (Creation)
Level of description
Content and Structure
Scope and content
Group of 31 glazed and gilded pottery fragments from Persia/Egypt/Syria. Includes imagery of ornamental designs, figures, animals, and Arabic/Cufic lettering. May have been collected and given to the school by William Matthew Flinders Petrie in the early 20th century. Likely brought to the Glasgow School of Art to be used as teaching aids.
1) Fragment of a dish or bowl. Cream glaze on the recto with a yellow/gold hand-painted figure on a horse surrounded by patterns. Metallic/mineral shine. Pale green glaze on the outside.
2) Triangular shaped fragment with cream glaze with yellow/gold hand-painted design on recto.
3) Fragment of what might be a cross. Turquoise glaze with red hand-painted designs and gold leaf. Embossed leaf pattern on recto.
4) Fragment of hanging wall plate or dish. Metal hook for wall hanging is still attached. Made of red clay. Cream glaze with earthy brown and dark brown paint on recto. Inscription of what is possibly Arabic word(s) on recto.
5) Circular shaped fragment of hanging wall plate or dish. Made of red clay. Deep green glaze with dark brown hand-painted design. Label on bottom - 'Egypt 13-15th C.
6) Fragment of wall hanging bowl or dish. Yellow/gold glaze on recto with hand-painted light brown swirl pattern.
7) Fragment from what might be a tile. Hand-painted flower and petal shapes in blue, black, yellow, and turquoise paint. '85' and 'SHAH ISF' handwritten on verso. Shah (Persian) is a title given to the emperors/kings and lords of Iran.
8) 4 small glazed and hand-painted fragments.
a) Turquoise glaze on both sides. Blue, black, brown and white hand-painted figure on recto with some gold leaf.
b) Turquoise glaze and hand-painted black band with white Arabic inscription.
c) 1st piece of rim fragment with cream glaze and band of blue, light turquoise, and red/brown paint on recto. Small band of blue paint on verso.
d) 2nd piece of rim fragment with cream glaze and band of blue, light turquoise, and red/brown paint on recto. Band of blue paint on verso.
9) 3 small glazed and hand-painted fragments.
a) Rim fragment with cream, blue, and black paint with hand-painted band on recto. Hand-painted blue and black bands on verso with metallic/mineral shine.
b) Fragment with aqua green glaze over embossed pattern on recto. '24' handwritten on verso.
c) Fragment with blue glaze on recto and cream glaze with brown/gold hand-painted pattern on verso. Handwritten letters on one edge - possibly 'C S RAZ.'
d) Rim fragment with cream glaze and dark blue, red, turquoise, and gold hand-painted pattern on recto. Cream glaze with hand-painted red band and black arabic inscription on verso.
10) 4 glazed and hand-painted fragments.
a) Rim fragment with cream glaze and yellow/gold hand-painted design on recto. Gold hand-painted patterns with figure on verso. Possibly small handwritten letters on an edge.
b) Fragment with cream glaze and light yellow/gold hand-painted patterens and figures riding horses on recto. Cream glaze with brown hand-painted designs on verso.
c) Small fragment with cream glaze and yellow/gold, blue, and red hand-painted designs with gold leaf on recto.
d) Fragment of dish or plate. Cream glaze with dark blue, turquoise, black, red, hand-painted figures and animal on recto with some gold leaf. Cream glaze with turquoise, blue, and red hand-painted figures on verso with some gold leaf. One large crack down the center.
11) 2 glazed and hand-painted fragments.
a) Rim fragment from dish or plate. Cream glaze with yellow/gold hand-painted pattern with crown on recto. Small area of cream glaze and red/brown section of hand-painted band on verso.
b) Rim fragment from dish or plate. Hand-painted black Arabic writing on recto. 'GOMBAZ KAOUE near Persepolis' handwritten on verso. Persepolis is a city in Iran.
12) 2 glazed and hand-painted fragments.
a) Slightly curved fragment with blue glaze and dark green hand-painted design and bands on recto. Blue glaze with dark green hand-painted Arabic writing and a green band on verso.
b) Small fragment with cream glaze and gold hand-painted face on recto. Blue glaze with faint green hand-painted pattern on verso.
c) Slightly curved fragment with pastel blue glaze on recto and verso.
13) 2 glazed and hand-painted fragments.
a) Rim fragment with cream glaze and blue, turquoise, red, and dark brown hand-painted patterns on recto. '15 SAVEH' and '15' handwritten on verso. Saveh is a city in Iran.
b) Rim fragment with green/brown glaze with dark blue hand-painted desgin on recto. Dark blue glaze on verso.
14) 4 small glazed and hand-painted fragments
a) Rim fragment with cream glaze and blue and black hand-painted band on recto. Cream glaze with hand-painted black band with what might be Arabic writing on verso.
b) Small fragment wtih raised blue hand-painted pattern. 'SAVEH 11' handwritten on verso. Saveh is a city in Iran.
c) Small rim fragment with cream glaze, blue and red hand-painted design, and pale blue band on recto. Small area of a blue band on verso.
d) Triangluar shaped mosaic/arrow tile. Blue, red, and white hand-painted pattern on recto.
15) Turquoise glazed fragment from possibly a dish or bowl with a handle. A face is hand-painted in black on the handle. Figures and designs hand-painted in black, brown, beige and red with gold leaf on the inside. Black pattern hand-painted on the outer edge.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Name of creator
Physical Description and Conditions of Use
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Glazed, gilded, and hand-painted ceramics.
Dimensions: 1) 135 x 140 x 20 mm 2) 92 x 127 x 20 mm 3) 76 x 105 x 10 mm 4) 148 x 105 x 15 mm 5) 105 x 105 x 10 mm 6) 110 x 120 x 30 mm 7) 35 x 83 x 64 mm 8.a.) 5 x 43 x 40 mm 8.b.) 6 x 38 x 44 mm 8.c.) 2 x 21 x 21 mm 8.d.) 2 x 29 x 30 mm 9.a.) 1 x 30 x 22 mm 9.b.) 8 x 34 x 50 mm 9.c.) 4 x 43 x 32 mm 9.d.) 2 x 45 x 33 mm 10.a.) 2 x 40 x 49 mm 10.b.) 5 x 70 x 65 mm 10.c.) 4 x 29 x 37 mm 10.d.) 5 x 95 x 50 mm 11.a.) 12 x 59 x 41 mm 11.b.) 15 x 49 x 64 mm 12.a.) 3 x 57 x 66 mm 12.b.) 6 x 38 x 30 mm 12.c.) 4 x 43 x 56 mm 13.a.) 6 x 43 x 41 mm 13.b.) 3 x 47 x 44 mm 14.a.) 3 x 38 x 32 mm 14.b.) 4 x 38 x 31 mm 14.c.) 3 x 38 x 25 mm 14.d.) 6 x 37 x 51 mm 15) 35 x 73 x 76 mm
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
People and Organisations
- The Glasgow School of Art (Subject)