How to download this image:
Click/tap the above image to see a larger version. When this appears in your browser, you can download it with a
right-click on a PC or MAC, or
long-tap on a touch-screen device, then select
This image is provided under a Creative Commons BY-NC-SA License. You can download this version for private study or non-commercial use. Our terms, conditions and copyright policy (PDF) contains further information about acceptable usage. If you are seeking permission to publish, please contact us ›
Glasgow Maternity Hospital
Level of description
Content and Structure
Scope and content
Perspective of building.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
Name of creator
Robert Alexander Bryden was born at the corner of Renfield Street and West George Street in Glasgow on 7 July 1841, the son of Robert Bryden of Royal Bank Place, Glasgow and Margaret Ramage of Kirkurd, Peeblesshire, and was educated at Arthur's Academy Dunoon and Kirkcaldy Grammar School. Apprenticed to Clarke & Bell, he was allowed to insert his name in The Glasgow Directory as 'at Clarke and Bell's' by 1864. In 1865 he made an influential marriage to Elizabeth Robertson, daughter of Alexander Robertson, a Glasgow ironfounder who had retired to Dunoon, consolidating the connections Bryden already had there. In the same year he became a major in the 1st Lanarkshire volunteers. He was elected FRIBA on 20 May 1878, his proposers being John Baird, John Honeyman and William Forrest Salmon.
In the Directory of 1875-76 he appears as 'of Clarke and Bell', implying a very senior position within the firm if not an actual partnership; and from 1876 Bryden seems to have run a simultaneous practice within the same office at 37 West Nile Street, a situation which persisted until 1891 when he was again described as 'of Clarke and Bell' and is known to have been in a formal partnership with the firm, having moved with them from West Nile Street to 212 St Vincent Street in 1880-1.
Bryden's practice remained a near-separate one with its own glazed door within the Clarke and Bell office, and even when in partnership, his work was usually publicised in his own name rather than that of the firm. He had particularly good connections in the philanthropic field and was a director of the Scottish National Sabbath School Union. In 1901 he was described as having travelled extensively on the continent - 'more especially in Germany, the Austrian Tyrol and Italy' - although his architecture tended to be either Gothic or a rather coarse Netherlandish free Renaissance.
The Clarke & Bell and R A Bryden partnership was dissolved in 1902. The reasons for the break-up are uncertain but may relate to the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College. Bryden was its architect and had prepared a design for a new college in 1892. He did not, however, retain the commission and in early 1901 a limited competition was held in which the invitation was to George Bell II who submitted a design by his principal assistant James Hoey Craigie. This design was placed second by the professional staff. The final catalyst seems to have been Bryden's son Andrew Francis Stewart Bryden. Born 21 October 1876, Andrew was articled to his father's firm from 1893 to 1898 and remained as assistant but left in 1901 to gain wider experience. When he proposed to return in 1902 there would appear to have been some disagreement: although the younger Bryden had real ability his health was somewhat unstable. The elder Bryden separated his practice from Bell's and set up on his own with his son as chief assistant, moving out of the Clarke & Bell office at 212 St Vincent Street to one of their own at 147 Bath Street.
Robert Alexander Bryden died on 14 April 1906 at 11 Lynedoch Crescent, Glasgow, and was buried at Dunoon Cemetery. He left the then very substantial estate of £23,560 4s 5d. Andrew Francis Stewart Bryden continued the practice, taking into partnership Andrew Robertson.
Name of creator
Andrew Robertson was born in 1868, and was articled to Thomas Dykes of Glasgow from 1882 to 1887, remaining for an additional year as junior draughtsman. He was then assistant to John Graham Peat and Duncan from 1888 until the following year, when he became assistant to Clarke & Bell & R A Bryden, progressing to the position of chief draughtsman in 1890. He travelled in Germany and Holland in 1891 and having passed the RIBA qualifying exam in 1893, was elected ARIBA on 5 June 1893, his proposers being Bryden, William Forrest Salmon and Thomas Lennox Watson. He left Clarke & Bell & R A Bryden in 1896 to commence practice on his own account, and around the turn of the century formed a brief partnership with Thomas Dykes. He returned to work with Robert Alexander Bryden after the latter had split from Clarke & Bell, some time between 1902 and 1906. In 1906 Robert Alexander Bryden died. On inheriting the practice his son Andrew Francis Stewart Bryden took Robertson into partnership. Robertson continued the practice under the same name after the younger Bryden's death in 1917. He was admitted FRIBA on 5 March 1923, his proposers being David Salmond, James Lochhead and William Brown Whitie. Joseph Boyd joined the partnership c. 1930, and continued the practice as Bryden Robertson & Boyd after Robertson's death in November 1932.
Physical Description and Conditions of Use
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language and script notes
Lithograph on paper . Inscribed: Norton and Gregory Ltd Litho, Westminster SW (b.l.)
Dimensions: 465 x 676 mm
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
GB 1694 NMC/0382
Rules and/or conventions used
ISAD(G): General International Standard Archival Description - Second edition
Digitised item (Master) rights area
Digitised item (Reference) rights area
Digitised item (Thumbnail) rights area