Heart of the Rose
- 1901 (Creation)
Level of description
Content and Structure
Scope and content
Designed for the 'Rose Boudoir', International Exhibition of Modern Decorative Art, Turin, 1902.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Name of creator
Margaret Macdonald was one of the most gifted and successful women artists in Scotland at the turn of the century. Her output was wide-ranging and included watercolours, graphics, metalwork and textiles. Arguably her greatest achievements were in gesso, a plaster-based medium, which she used to make decorative panels for furniture and interiors. Macdonald was born in England and came to Glasgow with her family around 1890. She enrolled as a day student at Glasgow School of Art where she met Mackintosh and Herbert McNair. She left the School in the mid 1890s and set up an independent studio in the city with her sister, Frances. Margaret Macdonald The sisters worked together until Frances’s marriage and departure for Liverpool in 1899. Mackintosh and Macdonald married in 1900. Collaboration was key to Margaret Macdonald’s creativity. The partnership with her sister in the 1890s produced metalwork, graphics, and a series of book illustrations. Her collaboration with Mackintosh comprised primarily the production of panels for interiors and furniture, notably for the tea rooms and The Hill House. The precise nature of their partnership is difficult to define, because little documentation survives. However it is certain that Macdonald played an important role in the development of the decorative, symbolic interiors of the early 1900s, including the House for an Art Lover portfolio, the Rose Boudoir, Turin and the Willow Tea Rooms. Ill health and the strain of Mackintosh’s declining career contributed to a decline in her own output and no work after 1921 is known. Macdonald died in London in 1933, five years after her husband.
Exhibited: Turin; 1902. New York, Museum of Modern Art (+ tour); 1960. London, Royal Academy; 1971. Glasgow and Helensburgh; 1976. Glasgow, Fine Arts Society; 1979. Glasgow, Hunterian Art Gallery; 1983. Glasgow, Glasgow School of Art; 1988. Glasgow, Glasgow School of Art; 1990. Exhibited in New York in 1960 under the title "Motherhood". This item is currently on display in The Glasgow School of Art's Reid Building. For access information please email email@example.com.
Donated by the Wylie Hill Trust, via Mrs P Burrell (Perth) and Mrs W D Lang (Paisley) in 1952
Physical Description and Conditions of Use
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Painted gesso. Reframed, back into original (period) frame, May 1996. Previous (double) frame had been made c1985.
Dimensions: 968 x 940 mm
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Place access points
People and Organisations
- Mackintosh, Margaret Macdonald (Subject)
Genre access points
GB 1694 MC/A/2
Rules and/or conventions used
ISAD(G): General International Standard Archival Description - Second edition