Folder containing 22 contact sheets and 224 negative of photographs taken by George Oliver. Majority are annotated. Includes: Museum of Childhood, Royal Scottish Museum, Henry Moore statues at Inverleith, New Town, Edinburgh University and Greyfriars graveyard.
Folder containing black and white contact sheets and negatives by George Oliver. Includes: Art and Movement exhibition 1965, Luther light feature 'Strategy Get Arts' 1970, Open Air Sculpture at Ledlanet, Henry Moore sculpture in Edinburgh and George Ricky Exhibition Opening 1982.
Wooden framed plaster relief portrait of a bearded man in profile with brown glaze. Bottom left corner has initials "J.R." or "R.J" and indecipherable signature above left shoulder. This item was damaged in the fire in GSA's Mackintosh Building on 23rd May 2014 and was conserved in 2018.
Photographs, essays and notes made and taken by Holmes Gray while at the Glasgow School of Art, including correspondence between the GSA and Gray, 1949-1956
Notes given to designers for technical guidance from Johnson, Matthey & Co. Ltd, 1954
Recollections of Glasgow School of Art by Holmes Gray, 1996
Photographs of pieces designed by Gray post-GSA for Spode, Royal Worcester and others; c1949-1996
Correspondence with Stoke-on-Trent College, 1964-1986
Correspondence re: training as a part-time teacher, 1977-1986
Letter informing Holmes Gray of election as Fellow of the Royal Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufacturers & Commerce [copy], 1987
Letter from Commemorative Collector's Society re: address by Holmes Gray, 1997
This material may contain sensitive information about individuals that is protected by the Data Protection Act. Until this material has been checked for sensitive information, it will not be available for researchers. Once this Data Protection work is complete the collection will be open for access, however any sensitive information will be closed and inaccessible for 75 years from the date of creation.
The collection consists of 305 photographs taken between 1853 and 1896. Sitters included local dignitaries, friends and family including John Brown, Queen Victoria's Ghillie. The collection also includes landscapes and the streets of Glasgow, particularly around the Pollokshields area on the south side of the city. Other subjects include ships, ship yards and stately houses.
This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018.
A carved tribute panel dedicated to Sir James Fleming (Chairman of GSA's Board of Governors). Located on the half landing between the ground and first floors of the Mackintosh Building. Panel unveiled, 17 January 1903.
Plaster and resin cast, possibly taken from an older wood carving showing a nativity scene on the long face and an Annunciation and Joseph on either end. The reverse is hollow with rough resin marks. Shape suggests it is copied from a capital at the top of a pilaster. Formerly located in the Director's office.
This collection includes works by a number of artists, designers and architects associated with Charles Rennie Mackintosh, including his wife Margaret Macdonald Mackintosh, his sister-in-law Frances Macdonald MacNair and his sister-in-law's husband Herbert MacNair. These works include textiles, designs, and four volumes of a Glasgow School of Art student publication called The Magazine, as well as several individual watercolours now separated from the publication. The collection also includes a number of models for proposed architectural schemes by Mackintosh.