Showing 183 results

Archival description
Interior design With digital objects
Print preview View:

Poster for the furniture, interior and product design degree show

This poster advertised the work of graduating furniture, interior and product design students as part of the 1984 degree show at The Glasgow School Of Art. The exhibition ran from the 15th to the 21st of June and was held in the Newbery Lounge in the Newbery Tower on The Glasgow School Of Art campus. The poster is illustrated with a drawing of the Newbery Lounge from the vantage point of the Mackintosh Building.

Not available / given

Poster for the furniture, interior and product design degree show

This poster advertised the furniture, interior and product design degree show in 1983. The exhibition showcased the work of graduating students from each of these courses and was held in the Newbery Lounge in the Newbery Tower at The Glasgow School Of Art. The image used on the poster shows the exhibitors sitting on the steps of the Mackintosh Building.

Not available / given

Large armchair for the Dug-Out, Willow Tea Rooms

Designed for the Dug-Out, Willow Tea Rooms. Very similar to MC/F87, but in a larger scale with flat instead of turned arms. Re-upholstered in blue horsehair 1985. This item was assessed for conversation in 2010 as part of the Mackintosh Conservation and Access project (2006-2010), and then again in 2018 following the fire in the Mackintosh Building in June 2018.

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Design for a Memorial Fireplace, The Dug-Out, Willow Tea Rooms, Glasgow

Inscribed: This room was opened by Miss Cranston in the year 1917 during the Great European War between the Allied Nations and the Central Powers.The Dug-Out, which Miss Cranston created in the basement of the Willow Tea Rooms was Mackintosh's last work in Glasgow (designed while he was living in London) and develops his new style seen in 78 Derngate. A dramatic interior was created with black ceilings and dark walls highlighted by strong colours in the decorations. The centrepiece was the Memorial Fireplace, decorated with inlaid glass and paintings of the flags of the opposing nations; above the commemorative plaque was a panel of stencilled decoration in chequers, diamonds and triangles, all in the bright colours used in the Derngate frieze. Two interior elevations indicate Mackintosh's schemes for decoration and furniture, some of which survives.

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Design for the Dug-Out, Willow Tea Rooms, Glasgow

Design for the staircase and vestibule, West Elevation, The Dug-Out, Willow Tea Rooms, Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow. Miss Cranston and her husband Major Cochrane commissioned Mackintosh to redesign the interiors of their home Hous'hill at Nitshill. Mackintosh designed several suites of furniture in 1904 and more pieces in 1909. Stripes are the dominant motif in the decorations, in the panels over the settle and between the doors where they are carried over the ceiling as in the guest bedroom at 78 Derngate. The lampshades are also similar to those used in this bedroom. (Roger Billcliffe). The lattice work recalls the hall at Derngate, but here it is used as an open screen rather than with solid or glazed panels. The only furniture that has been traced is the chair at the writing desk and the small table.

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Design for The Dug-Out, Willow Tea Rooms, Glasgow

Design for the Restroom, North Elevation, Willow Tea Rooms, Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow. Stripes are the dominant motif in the decorations, in the panels over the settle and between the doors where they are carried over the ceiling as in the guest bedroom at 78 Derngate. The lampshades are also similar to those used in this bedroom. (Roger Billcliffe). The lattice work recalls the hall at Derngate, but here it is used as an open screen rather than with solid or glazed panels. The only furniture that has been traced is the chair at the writing desk and the small table.

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Chair for Chinese Room, Ingram Street Tea Rooms

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 23rd May 2014. This item was assessed for conservation in 2010 as part of the Mackintosh Conservation and Access Project (2006-2010). Designed for the Blue or Chinese Room at the Ingram Street Tea Rooms, Glasgow. The fretted back and side rails match the Chinese style motifs of the Blue Room (as called in the job books). Much of the woodwork in the Chinese Room was painted bright blue or red, but there is no trace of any finish having been applied to these chairs other than the ebonising which most of them still display. These chairs have always been associated with the Chinese Room and so must be identified with the entry for thirty-six in the job books (Roger Billcliffe). All the chairs rwere eupholstered in blue horsehair in 1985. The Ingram Street Tea Rooms were purchased by Glasgow Corporation in 1951 for £25,000 and were then rented out as various shops and warehouses.

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Domino table for the Chinese Room, Ingram Street Tea Rooms

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 23rd May 2014. This item was assessed for conservation in 2010 as part of the Mackintosh Conservation and Access Project (2006-2010). Designed for the Blue or Chinese Room at the Ingram Street Tea Rooms, Glasgow. The fretted back and side rails match the Chinese style motifs of the Blue Room (as called in the job books). Much of the woodwork in the Chinese Room was painted bright blue or red, but there is no trace of any finish having been applied to these chairs other than the ebonising which most of them still display. These chairs have always been associated with the Chinese Room and so must be identified with the entry for thirty-six in the job books (Roger Billcliffe). All the chairs rwere eupholstered in blue horsehair in 1985. The Ingram Street Tea Rooms were purchased by Glasgow Corporation in 1951 for £25,000 and were then rented out as various shops and warehouses.

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Windsor chair for the Library, Glasgow School of Art

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 23rd May 2014. Designed for the Library at Glasgow School of Art. This item was assessed for conservation in 2010 as part of the Mackintosh Conservation and Access Project (2006-2010). A more elegant version of the windsor chairs designed for the Dutch Kitchen at Argyle Street (Billcliffe 1906.49). These chairs proved much too delicate for their original purpose; only eight of approximately forty have survived, and all of these have had to be reinforced. They were replaced in the GSA Library c1950 by the much sturdier chairs originally designed for the Ingram Street Tea Rooms, MC/F/67. The Ingram Street Tea Rooms were purchased by Glasgow Corporation in 1951 for £25,000 and were then rented out as various shops and warehouses.

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Wall hanging designed for The Dug-Out, Willow Tea Rooms, Glasgow

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 23rd May 2014. The canvas relates to smaller watercolours in the Hunterian collection, formerly thought to be textile designs, and to their painted canvas, 'The Little Hills' by Margaret Macdonald. It is likely that they were intended for 'The Dug-Out', though it is not known whether they were ever installed there. Jessie Newbery recalled in 1933, that 'He (Mackintosh) and his wife spent the winter of 1914 painting two large decorations for Miss Cranston'. This would have been in Suffolk, after they had left Glasgow. Although The Dug-Out was not created till 1917-18 it is not unlikely that Miss Cranston was considering the project some years earlier. The canvas was found in the GSA in a single roll in 1981 and was cleaned and mounted on two stretchers.

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Trimming of mauve linen

A fabric trimming from a cushion cover, embroidered before the First World War. The cover has pink roses and green foliage embroidered on authentic 'Mackintosh' mauve linen fabric.It is possible that both design and fabric were purchased from Brown and Beveridge, Bath Street, Glasgow.

Not available / given

Wall hanging designed for The Dug-Out, Willow Tea Rooms, Glasgow

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 23rd May 2014. The canvas relates to smaller watercolours in the Hunterian collection, formerly thought to be textile designs, and to their painted canvas, 'The Little Hills' by Margaret Macdonald. It is likely that they were intended for 'The Dug-Out', though it is not known whether they were ever installed there. Jessie Newbery recalled in 1933, that 'He (Mackintosh) and his wife spent the winter of 1914 painting two large decorations for Miss Cranston'. This would have been in Suffolk, after they had left Glasgow. Although The Dug-Out was not created till 1917-18 it is not unlikely that Miss Cranston was considering the project some years earlier. The canvas was found in the GSA in a single roll in 1981 and was cleaned and mounted on two stretchers.

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Fragments of lampshade(s) for Library, Glasgow School of Art (Version 7)

The library was destroyed by fire on 23 May 2014, though many metal and glass fragments from the lights were subsequently salvaged. Originally, and according to Mackintosh’s preparatory sketches, there were thought to be 53 individual lights in the library, each with punched holes in the inner reflectors which allowed light to pass through blue and purple glass. The central array was made up of 12 small canisters attached to the light frame on the ceiling, with eight medium pendants and five large pendants hanging below. There were an additional twelve medium canisters attached to the coffered ceiling both above and below the library balcony, making 24. Originally there were also four additional medium hanging pendants in each of the south and western window bays, though these four lights, and the medium canister in the librarians office, had all been removed before the fire in 2014, meaning there were 48 in the library. This small selection of salvaged lights fragments has been retained as evidence of the fire tragedy. These fragments are also surplus to the needs of Rodney French of Lonsdale and Dutch, Edinburgh who has been tasked with reconstructing the entire set of library lights, whilst reusing as much of the surviving fragments as possible.

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Barrel chair for Ingram Street Tea Rooms

Designed for the Ingram Street Tea Rooms, Glasgow. 'One of the sturdiest and most successful small chairs designed by Mackintosh. The chair was used in the Chinese Room in the late 1940s but there is no record of it being specifically designed for it.' (Roger Billcliffe). The two chairs in the Museum of Modern Art collection (NY) originally belonged to GSA and were donated in 1958 by then director, Douglas Percy Bliss. This item was assessed for conversation in 2010 as part of the Mackintosh Conservation and Access project (2006-2010), and then again in 2018 following the fire in the Mackintosh Building in June 2018.

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Fragments of lampshade(s) for Library, Glasgow School of Art (Version 4)

The library was destroyed by fire on 23 May 2014, though many metal and glass fragments from the lights were subsequently salvaged. Originally, and according to Mackintosh’s preparatory sketches, there were thought to be 53 individual lights in the library, each with punched holes in the inner reflectors which allowed light to pass through blue and purple glass. The central array was made up of 12 small canisters attached to the light frame on the ceiling, with eight medium pendants and five large pendants hanging below. There were an additional twelve medium canisters attached to the coffered ceiling both above and below the library balcony, making 24. Originally there were also four additional medium hanging pendants in each of the south and western window bays, though these four lights, and the medium canister in the librarians office, had all been removed before the fire in 2014, meaning there were 48 in the library. This small selection of salvaged lights fragments has been retained as evidence of the fire tragedy. These fragments are also surplus to the needs of Rodney French of Lonsdale and Dutch, Edinburgh who has been tasked with reconstructing the entire set of library lights, whilst reusing as much of the surviving fragments as possible.

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Fragments of lampshade(s) for Library, Glasgow School of Art (Version 5)

The library was destroyed by fire on 23 May 2014, though many metal and glass fragments from the lights were subsequently salvaged. Originally, and according to Mackintosh’s preparatory sketches, there were thought to be 53 individual lights in the library, each with punched holes in the inner reflectors which allowed light to pass through blue and purple glass. The central array was made up of 12 small canisters attached to the light frame on the ceiling, with eight medium pendants and five large pendants hanging below. There were an additional twelve medium canisters attached to the coffered ceiling both above and below the library balcony, making 24. Originally there were also four additional medium hanging pendants in each of the south and western window bays, though these four lights, and the medium canister in the librarians office, had all been removed before the fire in 2014, meaning there were 48 in the library. This small selection of salvaged lights fragments has been retained as evidence of the fire tragedy. These fragments are also surplus to the needs of Rodney French of Lonsdale and Dutch, Edinburgh who has been tasked with reconstructing the entire set of library lights, whilst reusing as much of the surviving fragments as possible.

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Chair for Oak Room, Ingram Street Tea Rooms

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 23rd May 2014. This item was assessed for conservation in 2010 as part of the Mackintosh Conservation and Access Project (2006-2010).
Designed for the Oak Room, Ingram Street Tea Rooms, Glasgow. The wavy top rail and twin back rails echo the bent laths fitted to the Oak Room balcony and also used on the dresser. All chairs repaired and re-rushed 1985. The Ingram Street Tea Rooms were purchased by Glasgow Corporation in 1951 for £25,000 and were then rented out as various shops and warehouses.

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Fragments of lampshade(s) for Library, Glasgow School of Art (Version 2)

The library was destroyed by fire on 23 May 2014, though many metal and glass fragments from the lights were subsequently salvaged. Originally, and according to Mackintosh’s preparatory sketches, there were thought to be 53 individual lights in the library, each with punched holes in the inner reflectors which allowed light to pass through blue and purple glass. The central array was made up of 12 small canisters attached to the light frame on the ceiling, with eight medium pendants and five large pendants hanging below. There were an additional twelve medium canisters attached to the coffered ceiling both above and below the library balcony, making 24. Originally there were also four additional medium hanging pendants in each of the south and western window bays, though these four lights, and the medium canister in the librarians office, had all been removed before the fire in 2014, meaning there were 48 in the library. This small selection of salvaged lights fragments has been retained as evidence of the fire tragedy. These fragments are also surplus to the needs of Rodney French of Lonsdale and Dutch, Edinburgh who has been tasked with reconstructing the entire set of library lights, whilst reusing as much of the surviving fragments as possible.

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Fragments of lampshade(s) for Library, Glasgow School of Art (Version 6)

The library was destroyed by fire on 23 May 2014, though many metal and glass fragments from the lights were subsequently salvaged. Originally, and according to Mackintosh’s preparatory sketches, there were thought to be 53 individual lights in the library, each with punched holes in the inner reflectors which allowed light to pass through blue and purple glass. The central array was made up of 12 small canisters attached to the light frame on the ceiling, with eight medium pendants and five large pendants hanging below. There were an additional twelve medium canisters attached to the coffered ceiling both above and below the library balcony, making 24. Originally there were also four additional medium hanging pendants in each of the south and western window bays, though these four lights, and the medium canister in the librarians office, had all been removed before the fire in 2014, meaning there were 48 in the library. This small selection of salvaged lights fragments has been retained as evidence of the fire tragedy. These fragments are also surplus to the needs of Rodney French of Lonsdale and Dutch, Edinburgh who has been tasked with reconstructing the entire set of library lights, whilst reusing as much of the surviving fragments as possible.

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Chair for Ingram Street Tea Rooms

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 23rd May 2014. This item was assessed for conservation in 2010 as part of the Mackintosh Conservation and Access Project (2006-2010).
Designed for the Oak Room, Ingram Street Tea Rooms, Glasgow. Probably designed to provide the basic seating unit in the Oak Room. An unusual design for Mackintosh in that it is a very strong chair and now used in the Glasgow School of Art library. These were introduced by the School into the library c.1950 as a replacement for the more fragile windsor chairs originally designed for the room. The chamfering along the back-rails of the chair anticipates the similar waggon-chamfering on the library balustrade. The Ingram Street Tea Rooms were purchased by Glasgow Corporation in 1951 for £25,000 and were then rented out as various shops and warehouses.

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Results 1 to 50 of 183