Showing 26235 results

Archival description
Print preview View:

3941 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Lampshade for Library, Glasgow School of Art: Lower Mezzanine- Composite Medium Canister

Originally, and according to Mackintosh’s preparatory sketches, there were thought to be 53 individual lights in the library, each with punched holes in the inner reflectors which allowed light to pass through blue and purple glass. The central array was made up of 12 small canisters attached to the light frame on the ceiling, with eight medium pendants and five large pendants hanging below. There were an additional twelve medium canisters attached to the coffered ceiling both above and below the library balcony, making 24. Originally there were also four additional medium hanging pendants in each of the south and western window bays, though these four lights, and the medium canister in the librarians office, had all been removed before the fire in 2014, meaning there were 48 in the library. The library was destroyed by the fire, though many metal fragments from the lights were salvaged, allowing twenty eight to be reconstructed from the original metal pieces, eleven to be made from a mix of original and new pieces (composites) and fifteen new lamps created. All the restoration work and shades was undertaken by Rodney French of Lonsdale & Dutch of Edinburgh.

Lonsdale & Dutch

Records of The Glasgow School of Art, Glasgow, Scotland

  • GSAA
  • Collection
  • 15th century to early 21st century

Includes:

  • Records of the Academic Council, 1973-2000
  • Audiovisual material, c1950s-2000s
  • Records of the Board of Studies, 1932-1950
  • Records of the Continuing Education Department, c1988-2000
  • Records of the Assistant Director and Company Secretary, c1986-2008
  • Records of the Deputy Director, c1946-1993
  • Records of the School of Design, c1979-2001
  • Records of the Development and External Relations Office, c1997-2004
  • Records of the Director, 1846-
  • Records of GSA Enterprises, c1991-2000

[b]Ephemera collection, 1890-[/b]

The School's collection of ephemera includes flyers, programmes and tickets for events at the School, such as plays, fashion shows, charities week events, exhibitions and performances.

  • Records of the Estates Department, c1964-2007
  • Records of the Exhibitions Officer, c1990-1994
  • Records of the School of Fine Art, c1978-1999
  • Records of the Finance Officer, 1870-2000
  • Records of First Year Studies, c1988-2000
  • Records of the Board of Governors, 1847-2007

Key records include:

  • Annual reports, 1847-2000 - The School's annual reports provide information on governors, staff and prizewinning students, and sometimes but not always, a headmaster's or director's report and annual accounts.
  • Building Committee papers, 1883-1949 - Minutes, correspondence, estimates, specifications and financial records relating to the erection of the Mackintosh Building, as well as the School's extension scheme.
  • Records of House for an Art Lover
  • Records of Liberal Studies/Historical and Critical Studies, c1992
  • Records of Information Services, c1900-2004
  • Records of the Mackintosh School of Architecture, c1957-2002

[b]Newspaper cuttings, 1864-[/b]

The School's press cuttings include articles relating to staff and students.

[b]Photographs, c1880s-[/b]

The School's photograph collection provides an excellent record of events at The Glasgow School of Art, its students and their work.

  • Records of the Personnel Office, c1987-2006
  • Records of the Planning Department, 1962-1964
  • Records of the Registrar, c1881-2000

Key records include:

  • tudent records, 1881-1997 - The School's student registers can provide student's names, dates of birth, dates of admission, educational background, addresses, occupations, courses taken and marks and awards gained.

[b]Prospectuses, 1893-1995[/b]

  • The School's prospectuses provide information about staff and governors
  • the organisation and administration of the School
  • ummaries of the School's curriculum
  • individual courses and tutors
  • fees
  • cholarships and bursaries.
  • Records of the School Council, 1969-1982
  • Records of the Secretary and Treasurer, 1853-1996
  • Records of the Senior Management Group
  • Records of the School of Simulation and Visualisation
  • Records of the Staff Council, 1909-1949
  • Records of the Student Support Service

The Glasgow School of Art

Art, Design and Architecture collection

  • NMC
  • Collection
  • 13th century to early 21st century

Artworks, design pieces and architectural designs related to Glasgow School of Art staff and students.

Items include

  • oil paintings
  • ilk screen prints
  • lithograph prints
  • prints
  • photographs
  • sketches
  • sketch books
  • drawings
  • watercolours
  • collage
  • metalwork, sculpture and ceramics.

Almost all works are by former students and staff or figures related to the history of The Glasgow School of Art. The earliest pieces date from the 16th century and later examples have been purchased from recent Degree Shows. The work is in a variety of media and includes drawings, paintings, prints, sketchbooks, furniture and sculpture. Artists represented include many key figures and the most influential and successful students.

There are also several works from former tutors including Neil Dallas Brown, David Donaldson and Fred Selby, alongside contemporary works by students, donated or purchased at degree show. Key works include those by: Maurice Greiffenhagen, Francis Newbery, John Quinton Pringle, Benno Schotz, Ian Fleming and James D Robertson. Suites of note include large collections of Joan Eardley sketches and paintings, Joan Palmer prints, and architectural drawings by Eugene Bourdon.

Not available / given

Ephemera collection

Includes catalogues, programmes, flyers and tickets for Glasgow School of Art exhibitions, pageants, lectures and theatrical events as well as posters from Activities Week events and student fashion shows, dating from 1890 to the present. Ephemera also includes a collection of postcards from c1900 to the present, as well as material relating to: Glasgow School of Art's involvement with the international exhibition scene; records of the Woman's Work Exhibition, London, 1900; records of the Glasgow School of Art participation in the Glasgow International Exhibition, 1901; the Exhibition of Modern Furniture, Budapest, 1902; the Brussels Exhibition, 1910; and papers documenting the organisation of the Scottish Pavilion at the Exhibition of Decorative Arts, Turin, 1902. Some of the material is in French and Italian.

The Glasgow School of Art

Records of the Director of the Glasgow School of Art

Correspondence and Working Papers of the Directors of the Glasgow School of Art from 1846 to the present day. Material from DIR/14 onwards is currently uncatalogued and therefore not accessible for researchers. Papers are arranged by Director into the sub-series below, and each sub-series is catalogued in further detail: DIR/1: Henry MacManus, Headmaster from 1844-1848 DIR/2: Charles Heath Wilson, Headmaster from 1849-1863 DIR/3: Robert Greenlees, Headmaster from 1863-1881 DIR/4: Thomas C Simmonds, Headmaster from 1881-1885 DIR/5: Francis H Newbery, Director from 1885-1918 DIR/6: John Henderson, Director from 1918-1924 DIR/7: John D Revel, Director from 1925-1932 DIR/8: James Gray, Interim Director from 1932-1933 DIR/9: William Oliphant Hutchison, Director from 1933-1943 DIR/10: Allan Walton, Director from 1943-1945 DIR/11: Henry Y Allison, Interim Director from 1945-1946 DIR/12: Douglas Percy Bliss, Director from 1946-1964 DIR/13: Harry Jefferson Barnes, Director from 1964-1980

Greenlees, Robert

Furniture and Interiors

Includes:

  • chairs
  • tables
  • benches
  • ettles
  • periodical and writing desks
  • mokers' cabinets
  • beds
  • mirrors
  • washstands
  • bookcases
  • cabinets
  • linen presses
  • dressers
  • fenders
  • hat, coat and umbrella stands
  • a baptismal font, letter racks
  • light-fittings
  • clocks.

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Mackintosh Art, Design and Architecture Collection

  • MC
  • Collection
  • c1891-2018

Items in The Glasgow School of Art's Mackintosh collection include: furniture, watercolours, drawings, architectural drawings, design drawings, sketchbooks, metalwork and photographs.

The majority of Mackintosh's three-dimensional work was created with the help of a small number of patrons within a short period of intense activity between 1896 and 1910. Francis Newbery was headmaster of The Glasgow School of Art at the time and was supportive of Mackintosh's ultimately successful bid to design a new art school building, in 1896 - his most prestigious undertaking. For Miss Kate Cranston he designed a series of Glasgow tearoom interiors and for the businessmen William Davidson and Walter Blackie, he was commissioned to design large private houses, 'Windyhill' in Kilmacolm and 'The Hill House' in Helensburgh. In Europe, the originality of Mackintosh's style was quickly appreciated and in 1900 he was invited to participate at the 8th Vienna Secession.

In 1902 Mackintosh was invited to participate at the International Exhibition of Modern Decorative Art in Turin and later at exhibitions in Moscow and Berlin. Despite this success Mackintosh's work met with considerable indifference at home. Few private clients were sufficiently sympathetic to want his 'total design' of house and interior and he was incapable of compromise.

By 1914 Mackintosh had despaired of ever receiving true recognition in Glasgow and together with his wife Margaret Macdonald he moved, temporarily, to Walberswick on the Suffolk Coastline (in England), where he painted many fine flower studies in watercolour. In 1915 the Mackintoshes settled in London and for the next few years Mackintosh attempted to resume practice as an architect and designer. The designs he produced at this time for textiles, for the 'Dug-out' Tea Room in Glasgow and the dramatic interiors for 78 Derngate in Northampton, England show him working in a bold new style of decoration, using primary colours and geometric motifs.

In 1923 the Mackintoshes left London for the South of France, finally living in Port Vendres where Mackintosh gave up all thoughts of architecture and design and devoted himself entirely to painting landscapes. He died in London, of cancer, on 10 December 1928.

The majority of Mackintosh's design work, (including furniture and metalwork), architectural drawings, textile designs and watercolours are in the possession of three public collections - The Glasgow School of Art, Glasgow Museums, and the Hunterian Art Gallery at the University of Glasgow - although significant (individual) pieces can be found in museums across the UK and Europe, North America and Japan. However, some of Mackintosh's most important, symbolist watercolours from the early to mid-1890s are to be found in the collection of The Glasgow School of Art.

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Lampshade for Library, Glasgow School of Art: Upper Mezzanine- Reconstructed Medium Canister

Originally, and according to Mackintosh’s preparatory sketches, there were thought to be 53 individual lights in the library, each with punched holes in the inner reflectors which allowed light to pass through blue and purple glass. The central array was made up of 12 small canisters attached to the light frame on the ceiling, with eight medium pendants and five large pendants hanging below. There were an additional twelve medium canisters attached to the coffered ceiling both above and below the library balcony, making 24. Originally there were also four additional medium hanging pendants in each of the south and western window bays, though these four lights, and the medium canister in the librarians office, had all been removed before the fire in 2014, meaning there were 48 in the library. The library was destroyed by the fire, though many metal fragments from the lights were salvaged, allowing twenty eight to be reconstructed from the original metal pieces, eleven to be made from a mix of original and new pieces (composites) and fifteen new lamps created. All the restoration work and shades was undertaken by Rodney French of Lonsdale & Dutch of Edinburgh.

Lonsdale & Dutch

Lampshade for Library, Glasgow School of Art: Upper Mezzanine- Reconstructed Medium Canister

Originally, and according to Mackintosh’s preparatory sketches, there were thought to be 53 individual lights in the library, each with punched holes in the inner reflectors which allowed light to pass through blue and purple glass. The central array was made up of 12 small canisters attached to the light frame on the ceiling, with eight medium pendants and five large pendants hanging below. There were an additional twelve medium canisters attached to the coffered ceiling both above and below the library balcony, making 24. Originally there were also four additional medium hanging pendants in each of the south and western window bays, though these four lights, and the medium canister in the librarians office, had all been removed before the fire in 2014, meaning there were 48 in the library. The library was destroyed by the fire, though many metal fragments from the lights were salvaged, allowing twenty eight to be reconstructed from the original metal pieces, eleven to be made from a mix of original and new pieces (composites) and fifteen new lamps created. All the restoration work and shades was undertaken by Rodney French of Lonsdale & Dutch of Edinburgh.

Lonsdale & Dutch

Lampshade for Library, Glasgow School of Art: Lower Mezzanine- Composite Medium Canister

Originally, and according to Mackintosh’s preparatory sketches, there were thought to be 53 individual lights in the library, each with punched holes in the inner reflectors which allowed light to pass through blue and purple glass. The central array was made up of 12 small canisters attached to the light frame on the ceiling, with eight medium pendants and five large pendants hanging below. There were an additional twelve medium canisters attached to the coffered ceiling both above and below the library balcony, making 24. Originally there were also four additional medium hanging pendants in each of the south and western window bays, though these four lights, and the medium canister in the librarians office, had all been removed before the fire in 2014, meaning there were 48 in the library. The library was destroyed by the fire, though many metal fragments from the lights were salvaged, allowing twenty eight to be reconstructed from the original metal pieces, eleven to be made from a mix of original and new pieces (composites) and fifteen new lamps created. All the restoration work and shades was undertaken by Rodney French of Lonsdale & Dutch of Edinburgh.

Lonsdale & Dutch

Lampshade for Library, Glasgow School of Art: Central Cluster- Reconstructed Medium Pendant

Originally, and according to Mackintosh’s preparatory sketches, there were thought to be 53 individual lights in the library, each with punched holes in the inner reflectors which allowed light to pass through blue and purple glass. The central array was made up of 12 small canisters attached to the light frame on the ceiling, with eight medium pendants and five large pendants hanging below. There were an additional twelve medium canisters attached to the coffered ceiling both above and below the library balcony, making 24. Originally there were also four additional medium hanging pendants in each of the south and western window bays, though these four lights, and the medium canister in the librarians office, had all been removed before the fire in 2014, meaning there were 48 in the library. The library was destroyed by the fire, though many metal fragments from the lights were salvaged, allowing twenty eight to be reconstructed from the original metal pieces, eleven to be made from a mix of original and new pieces (composites) and fifteen new lamps created. All the restoration work and shades was undertaken by Rodney French of Lonsdale & Dutch of Edinburgh.

Lonsdale & Dutch

Lampshade for Library, Glasgow School of Art: Central Cluster- Composite Large Pendant

Originally, and according to Mackintosh’s preparatory sketches, there were thought to be 53 individual lights in the library, each with punched holes in the inner reflectors which allowed light to pass through blue and purple glass. The central array was made up of 12 small canisters attached to the light frame on the ceiling, with eight medium pendants and five large pendants hanging below. There were an additional twelve medium canisters attached to the coffered ceiling both above and below the library balcony, making 24. Originally there were also four additional medium hanging pendants in each of the south and western window bays, though these four lights, and the medium canister in the librarians office, had all been removed before the fire in 2014, meaning there were 48 in the library. The library was destroyed by the fire, though many metal fragments from the lights were salvaged, allowing twenty eight to be reconstructed from the original metal pieces, eleven to be made from a mix of original and new pieces (composites) and fifteen new lamps created. All the restoration work and shades was undertaken by Rodney French of Lonsdale & Dutch of Edinburgh.

Lonsdale & Dutch

Lampshade for Library, Glasgow School of Art: Central Cluster- New Small Canister

Originally, and according to Mackintosh’s preparatory sketches, there were thought to be 53 individual lights in the library, each with punched holes in the inner reflectors which allowed light to pass through blue and purple glass. The central array was made up of 12 small canisters attached to the light frame on the ceiling, with eight medium pendants and five large pendants hanging below. There were an additional twelve medium canisters attached to the coffered ceiling both above and below the library balcony, making 24. Originally there were also four additional medium hanging pendants in each of the south and western window bays, though these four lights, and the medium canister in the librarians office, had all been removed before the fire in 2014, meaning there were 48 in the library. The library was destroyed by the fire, though many metal fragments from the lights were salvaged, allowing twenty eight to be reconstructed from the original metal pieces, eleven to be made from a mix of original and new pieces (composites) and fifteen new lamps created. All the restoration work and shades was undertaken by Rodney French of Lonsdale & Dutch of Edinburgh.

Lonsdale & Dutch

Lampshade for Library, Glasgow School of Art: Central Cluster- New Small Canister

Originally, and according to Mackintosh’s preparatory sketches, there were thought to be 53 individual lights in the library, each with punched holes in the inner reflectors which allowed light to pass through blue and purple glass. The central array was made up of 12 small canisters attached to the light frame on the ceiling, with eight medium pendants and five large pendants hanging below. There were an additional twelve medium canisters attached to the coffered ceiling both above and below the library balcony, making 24. Originally there were also four additional medium hanging pendants in each of the south and western window bays, though these four lights, and the medium canister in the librarians office, had all been removed before the fire in 2014, meaning there were 48 in the library. The library was destroyed by the fire, though many metal fragments from the lights were salvaged, allowing twenty eight to be reconstructed from the original metal pieces, eleven to be made from a mix of original and new pieces (composites) and fifteen new lamps created. All the restoration work and shades was undertaken by Rodney French of Lonsdale & Dutch of Edinburgh.

Lonsdale & Dutch

Lampshade for Library, Glasgow School of Art: Lower Mezzanine- New Medium Canister

Originally, and according to Mackintosh’s preparatory sketches, there were thought to be 53 individual lights in the library, each with punched holes in the inner reflectors which allowed light to pass through blue and purple glass. The central array was made up of 12 small canisters attached to the light frame on the ceiling, with eight medium pendants and five large pendants hanging below. There were an additional twelve medium canisters attached to the coffered ceiling both above and below the library balcony, making 24. Originally there were also four additional medium hanging pendants in each of the south and western window bays, though these four lights, and the medium canister in the librarians office, had all been removed before the fire in 2014, meaning there were 48 in the library. The library was destroyed by the fire, though many metal fragments from the lights were salvaged, allowing twenty eight to be reconstructed from the original metal pieces, eleven to be made from a mix of original and new pieces (composites) and fifteen new lamps created. All the restoration work and shades was undertaken by Rodney French of Lonsdale & Dutch of Edinburgh.

Lonsdale & Dutch

Lampshade for Library, Glasgow School of Art: Window Bay- New Medium Pendant

Originally, and according to Mackintosh’s preparatory sketches, there were thought to be 53 individual lights in the library, each with punched holes in the inner reflectors which allowed light to pass through blue and purple glass. The central array was made up of 12 small canisters attached to the light frame on the ceiling, with eight medium pendants and five large pendants hanging below. There were an additional twelve medium canisters attached to the coffered ceiling both above and below the library balcony, making 24. Originally there were also four additional medium hanging pendants in each of the south and western window bays, though these four lights, and the medium canister in the librarians office, had all been removed before the fire in 2014, meaning there were 48 in the library. The library was destroyed by the fire, though many metal fragments from the lights were salvaged, allowing twenty eight to be reconstructed from the original metal pieces, eleven to be made from a mix of original and new pieces (composites) and fifteen new lamps created. All the restoration work and shades was undertaken by Rodney French of Lonsdale & Dutch of Edinburgh.

Lonsdale & Dutch

Lampshade for Library, Glasgow School of Art: Lower Mezzanine- Composite Medium Canister

Originally, and according to Mackintosh’s preparatory sketches, there were thought to be 53 individual lights in the library, each with punched holes in the inner reflectors which allowed light to pass through blue and purple glass. The central array was made up of 12 small canisters attached to the light frame on the ceiling, with eight medium pendants and five large pendants hanging below. There were an additional twelve medium canisters attached to the coffered ceiling both above and below the library balcony, making 24. Originally there were also four additional medium hanging pendants in each of the south and western window bays, though these four lights, and the medium canister in the librarians office, had all been removed before the fire in 2014, meaning there were 48 in the library. The library was destroyed by the fire, though many metal fragments from the lights were salvaged, allowing twenty eight to be reconstructed from the original metal pieces, eleven to be made from a mix of original and new pieces (composites) and fifteen new lamps created. All the restoration work and shades was undertaken by Rodney French of Lonsdale & Dutch of Edinburgh.

Lonsdale & Dutch

Lampshade for Library, Glasgow School of Art: Central Cluster- Reconstructed Large Pendant

Originally, and according to Mackintosh’s preparatory sketches, there were thought to be 53 individual lights in the library, each with punched holes in the inner reflectors which allowed light to pass through blue and purple glass. The central array was made up of 12 small canisters attached to the light frame on the ceiling, with eight medium pendants and five large pendants hanging below. There were an additional twelve medium canisters attached to the coffered ceiling both above and below the library balcony, making 24. Originally there were also four additional medium hanging pendants in each of the south and western window bays, though these four lights, and the medium canister in the librarians office, had all been removed before the fire in 2014, meaning there were 48 in the library. The library was destroyed by the fire, though many metal fragments from the lights were salvaged, allowing twenty eight to be reconstructed from the original metal pieces, eleven to be made from a mix of original and new pieces (composites) and fifteen new lamps created. All the restoration work and shades was undertaken by Rodney French of Lonsdale & Dutch of Edinburgh.

Lonsdale & Dutch

Lampshade for Library, Glasgow School of Art: Lower Mezzanine- New Medium Canister

Originally, and according to Mackintosh’s preparatory sketches, there were thought to be 53 individual lights in the library, each with punched holes in the inner reflectors which allowed light to pass through blue and purple glass. The central array was made up of 12 small canisters attached to the light frame on the ceiling, with eight medium pendants and five large pendants hanging below. There were an additional twelve medium canisters attached to the coffered ceiling both above and below the library balcony, making 24. Originally there were also four additional medium hanging pendants in each of the south and western window bays, though these four lights, and the medium canister in the librarians office, had all been removed before the fire in 2014, meaning there were 48 in the library. The library was destroyed by the fire, though many metal fragments from the lights were salvaged, allowing twenty eight to be reconstructed from the original metal pieces, eleven to be made from a mix of original and new pieces (composites) and fifteen new lamps created. All the restoration work and shades was undertaken by Rodney French of Lonsdale & Dutch of Edinburgh.

Lonsdale & Dutch

Lampshade for Library, Glasgow School of Art: Upper Mezzanine- Reconstructed Medium Canister

Originally, and according to Mackintosh’s preparatory sketches, there were thought to be 53 individual lights in the library, each with punched holes in the inner reflectors which allowed light to pass through blue and purple glass. The central array was made up of 12 small canisters attached to the light frame on the ceiling, with eight medium pendants and five large pendants hanging below. There were an additional twelve medium canisters attached to the coffered ceiling both above and below the library balcony, making 24. Originally there were also four additional medium hanging pendants in each of the south and western window bays, though these four lights, and the medium canister in the librarians office, had all been removed before the fire in 2014, meaning there were 48 in the library. The library was destroyed by the fire, though many metal fragments from the lights were salvaged, allowing twenty eight to be reconstructed from the original metal pieces, eleven to be made from a mix of original and new pieces (composites) and fifteen new lamps created. All the restoration work and shades was undertaken by Rodney French of Lonsdale & Dutch of Edinburgh.

Lonsdale & Dutch

Lampshade for Library, Glasgow School of Art: Upper Mezzanine- Reconstructed Medium Canister

Originally, and according to Mackintosh’s preparatory sketches, there were thought to be 53 individual lights in the library, each with punched holes in the inner reflectors which allowed light to pass through blue and purple glass. The central array was made up of 12 small canisters attached to the light frame on the ceiling, with eight medium pendants and five large pendants hanging below. There were an additional twelve medium canisters attached to the coffered ceiling both above and below the library balcony, making 24. Originally there were also four additional medium hanging pendants in each of the south and western window bays, though these four lights, and the medium canister in the librarians office, had all been removed before the fire in 2014, meaning there were 48 in the library. The library was destroyed by the fire, though many metal fragments from the lights were salvaged, allowing twenty eight to be reconstructed from the original metal pieces, eleven to be made from a mix of original and new pieces (composites) and fifteen new lamps created. All the restoration work and shades was undertaken by Rodney French of Lonsdale & Dutch of Edinburgh.

Lonsdale & Dutch

Lampshade for Library, Glasgow School of Art: Lower Mezzanine- Reconstructed Medium Canister

Originally, and according to Mackintosh’s preparatory sketches, there were thought to be 53 individual lights in the library, each with punched holes in the inner reflectors which allowed light to pass through blue and purple glass. The central array was made up of 12 small canisters attached to the light frame on the ceiling, with eight medium pendants and five large pendants hanging below. There were an additional twelve medium canisters attached to the coffered ceiling both above and below the library balcony, making 24. Originally there were also four additional medium hanging pendants in each of the south and western window bays, though these four lights, and the medium canister in the librarians office, had all been removed before the fire in 2014, meaning there were 48 in the library. The library was destroyed by the fire, though many metal fragments from the lights were salvaged, allowing twenty eight to be reconstructed from the original metal pieces, eleven to be made from a mix of original and new pieces (composites) and fifteen new lamps created. All the restoration work and shades was undertaken by Rodney French of Lonsdale & Dutch of Edinburgh.

Lonsdale & Dutch

Lampshade for Library, Glasgow School of Art: Central Cluster- Reconstructed Medium Pendant

Originally, and according to Mackintosh’s preparatory sketches, there were thought to be 53 individual lights in the library, each with punched holes in the inner reflectors which allowed light to pass through blue and purple glass. The central array was made up of 12 small canisters attached to the light frame on the ceiling, with eight medium pendants and five large pendants hanging below. There were an additional twelve medium canisters attached to the coffered ceiling both above and below the library balcony, making 24. Originally there were also four additional medium hanging pendants in each of the south and western window bays, though these four lights, and the medium canister in the librarians office, had all been removed before the fire in 2014, meaning there were 48 in the library. The library was destroyed by the fire, though many metal fragments from the lights were salvaged, allowing twenty eight to be reconstructed from the original metal pieces, eleven to be made from a mix of original and new pieces (composites) and fifteen new lamps created. All the restoration work and shades was undertaken by Rodney French of Lonsdale & Dutch of Edinburgh.

Lonsdale & Dutch

Lampshade for Library, Glasgow School of Art: Central Cluster- Reconstructed Large Pendant

Originally, and according to Mackintosh’s preparatory sketches, there were thought to be 53 individual lights in the library, each with punched holes in the inner reflectors which allowed light to pass through blue and purple glass. The central array was made up of 12 small canisters attached to the light frame on the ceiling, with eight medium pendants and five large pendants hanging below. There were an additional twelve medium canisters attached to the coffered ceiling both above and below the library balcony, making 24. Originally there were also four additional medium hanging pendants in each of the south and western window bays, though these four lights, and the medium canister in the librarians office, had all been removed before the fire in 2014, meaning there were 48 in the library. The library was destroyed by the fire, though many metal fragments from the lights were salvaged, allowing twenty eight to be reconstructed from the original metal pieces, eleven to be made from a mix of original and new pieces (composites) and fifteen new lamps created. All the restoration work and shades was undertaken by Rodney French of Lonsdale & Dutch of Edinburgh.

Lonsdale & Dutch

Lampshade for Library, Glasgow School of Art: Central Cluster- New Small Canister

Originally, and according to Mackintosh’s preparatory sketches, there were thought to be 53 individual lights in the library, each with punched holes in the inner reflectors which allowed light to pass through blue and purple glass. The central array was made up of 12 small canisters attached to the light frame on the ceiling, with eight medium pendants and five large pendants hanging below. There were an additional twelve medium canisters attached to the coffered ceiling both above and below the library balcony, making 24. Originally there were also four additional medium hanging pendants in each of the south and western window bays, though these four lights, and the medium canister in the librarians office, had all been removed before the fire in 2014, meaning there were 48 in the library. The library was destroyed by the fire, though many metal fragments from the lights were salvaged, allowing twenty eight to be reconstructed from the original metal pieces, eleven to be made from a mix of original and new pieces (composites) and fifteen new lamps created. All the restoration work and shades was undertaken by Rodney French of Lonsdale & Dutch of Edinburgh.

Lonsdale & Dutch

Lampshade for Library, Glasgow School of Art: Central Cluster- New Small Canister

Originally, and according to Mackintosh’s preparatory sketches, there were thought to be 53 individual lights in the library, each with punched holes in the inner reflectors which allowed light to pass through blue and purple glass. The central array was made up of 12 small canisters attached to the light frame on the ceiling, with eight medium pendants and five large pendants hanging below. There were an additional twelve medium canisters attached to the coffered ceiling both above and below the library balcony, making 24. Originally there were also four additional medium hanging pendants in each of the south and western window bays, though these four lights, and the medium canister in the librarians office, had all been removed before the fire in 2014, meaning there were 48 in the library. The library was destroyed by the fire, though many metal fragments from the lights were salvaged, allowing twenty eight to be reconstructed from the original metal pieces, eleven to be made from a mix of original and new pieces (composites) and fifteen new lamps created. All the restoration work and shades was undertaken by Rodney French of Lonsdale & Dutch of Edinburgh.

Lonsdale & Dutch

Lampshade for Library, Glasgow School of Art: Upper Mezzanine- New Medium Canister

Originally, and according to Mackintosh’s preparatory sketches, there were thought to be 53 individual lights in the library, each with punched holes in the inner reflectors which allowed light to pass through blue and purple glass. The central array was made up of 12 small canisters attached to the light frame on the ceiling, with eight medium pendants and five large pendants hanging below. There were an additional twelve medium canisters attached to the coffered ceiling both above and below the library balcony, making 24. Originally there were also four additional medium hanging pendants in each of the south and western window bays, though these four lights, and the medium canister in the librarians office, had all been removed before the fire in 2014, meaning there were 48 in the library. The library was destroyed by the fire, though many metal fragments from the lights were salvaged, allowing twenty eight to be reconstructed from the original metal pieces, eleven to be made from a mix of original and new pieces (composites) and fifteen new lamps created. All the restoration work and shades was undertaken by Rodney French of Lonsdale & Dutch of Edinburgh.

Lonsdale & Dutch

Lampshade for Library, Glasgow School of Art: Central Cluster- New Small Canister

Originally, and according to Mackintosh’s preparatory sketches, there were thought to be 53 individual lights in the library, each with punched holes in the inner reflectors which allowed light to pass through blue and purple glass. The central array was made up of 12 small canisters attached to the light frame on the ceiling, with eight medium pendants and five large pendants hanging below. There were an additional twelve medium canisters attached to the coffered ceiling both above and below the library balcony, making 24. Originally there were also four additional medium hanging pendants in each of the south and western window bays, though these four lights, and the medium canister in the librarians office, had all been removed before the fire in 2014, meaning there were 48 in the library. The library was destroyed by the fire, though many metal fragments from the lights were salvaged, allowing twenty eight to be reconstructed from the original metal pieces, eleven to be made from a mix of original and new pieces (composites) and fifteen new lamps created. All the restoration work and shades was undertaken by Rodney French of Lonsdale & Dutch of Edinburgh.

Lonsdale & Dutch

Lampshade for Library, Glasgow School of Art: Central Cluster- New Small Canister

Originally, and according to Mackintosh’s preparatory sketches, there were thought to be 53 individual lights in the library, each with punched holes in the inner reflectors which allowed light to pass through blue and purple glass. The central array was made up of 12 small canisters attached to the light frame on the ceiling, with eight medium pendants and five large pendants hanging below. There were an additional twelve medium canisters attached to the coffered ceiling both above and below the library balcony, making 24. Originally there were also four additional medium hanging pendants in each of the south and western window bays, though these four lights, and the medium canister in the librarians office, had all been removed before the fire in 2014, meaning there were 48 in the library. The library was destroyed by the fire, though many metal fragments from the lights were salvaged, allowing twenty eight to be reconstructed from the original metal pieces, eleven to be made from a mix of original and new pieces (composites) and fifteen new lamps created. All the restoration work and shades was undertaken by Rodney French of Lonsdale & Dutch of Edinburgh.

Lonsdale & Dutch

Lampshade for Library, Glasgow School of Art: Window Bay- New Medium Pendant

Originally, and according to Mackintosh’s preparatory sketches, there were thought to be 53 individual lights in the library, each with punched holes in the inner reflectors which allowed light to pass through blue and purple glass. The central array was made up of 12 small canisters attached to the light frame on the ceiling, with eight medium pendants and five large pendants hanging below. There were an additional twelve medium canisters attached to the coffered ceiling both above and below the library balcony, making 24. Originally there were also four additional medium hanging pendants in each of the south and western window bays, though these four lights, and the medium canister in the librarians office, had all been removed before the fire in 2014, meaning there were 48 in the library. The library was destroyed by the fire, though many metal fragments from the lights were salvaged, allowing twenty eight to be reconstructed from the original metal pieces, eleven to be made from a mix of original and new pieces (composites) and fifteen new lamps created. All the restoration work and shades was undertaken by Rodney French of Lonsdale & Dutch of Edinburgh.

Lonsdale & Dutch

Lampshade for Library, Glasgow School of Art: Upper Mezzanine- New Medium Canister

Originally, and according to Mackintosh’s preparatory sketches, there were thought to be 53 individual lights in the library, each with punched holes in the inner reflectors which allowed light to pass through blue and purple glass. The central array was made up of 12 small canisters attached to the light frame on the ceiling, with eight medium pendants and five large pendants hanging below. There were an additional twelve medium canisters attached to the coffered ceiling both above and below the library balcony, making 24. Originally there were also four additional medium hanging pendants in each of the south and western window bays, though these four lights, and the medium canister in the librarians office, had all been removed before the fire in 2014, meaning there were 48 in the library. The library was destroyed by the fire, though many metal fragments from the lights were salvaged, allowing twenty eight to be reconstructed from the original metal pieces, eleven to be made from a mix of original and new pieces (composites) and fifteen new lamps created. All the restoration work and shades was undertaken by Rodney French of Lonsdale & Dutch of Edinburgh.

Lonsdale & Dutch

Lampshade for Library, Glasgow School of Art: Central Cluster- New Small Canister

Originally, and according to Mackintosh’s preparatory sketches, there were thought to be 53 individual lights in the library, each with punched holes in the inner reflectors which allowed light to pass through blue and purple glass. The central array was made up of 12 small canisters attached to the light frame on the ceiling, with eight medium pendants and five large pendants hanging below. There were an additional twelve medium canisters attached to the coffered ceiling both above and below the library balcony, making 24. Originally there were also four additional medium hanging pendants in each of the south and western window bays, though these four lights, and the medium canister in the librarians office, had all been removed before the fire in 2014, meaning there were 48 in the library. The library was destroyed by the fire, though many metal fragments from the lights were salvaged, allowing twenty eight to be reconstructed from the original metal pieces, eleven to be made from a mix of original and new pieces (composites) and fifteen new lamps created. All the restoration work and shades was undertaken by Rodney French of Lonsdale & Dutch of Edinburgh.

Lonsdale & Dutch

Lampshade for Library, Glasgow School of Art: Upper Mezzanine- Reconstructed Medium Canister

Originally, and according to Mackintosh’s preparatory sketches, there were thought to be 53 individual lights in the library, each with punched holes in the inner reflectors which allowed light to pass through blue and purple glass. The central array was made up of 12 small canisters attached to the light frame on the ceiling, with eight medium pendants and five large pendants hanging below. There were an additional twelve medium canisters attached to the coffered ceiling both above and below the library balcony, making 24. Originally there were also four additional medium hanging pendants in each of the south and western window bays, though these four lights, and the medium canister in the librarians office, had all been removed before the fire in 2014, meaning there were 48 in the library. The library was destroyed by the fire, though many metal fragments from the lights were salvaged, allowing twenty eight to be reconstructed from the original metal pieces, eleven to be made from a mix of original and new pieces (composites) and fifteen new lamps created. All the restoration work and shades was undertaken by Rodney French of Lonsdale & Dutch of Edinburgh.

Lonsdale & Dutch

Lampshade for Library, Glasgow School of Art: Upper Mezzanine- Reconstructed Medium Canister

Originally, and according to Mackintosh’s preparatory sketches, there were thought to be 53 individual lights in the library, each with punched holes in the inner reflectors which allowed light to pass through blue and purple glass. The central array was made up of 12 small canisters attached to the light frame on the ceiling, with eight medium pendants and five large pendants hanging below. There were an additional twelve medium canisters attached to the coffered ceiling both above and below the library balcony, making 24. Originally there were also four additional medium hanging pendants in each of the south and western window bays, though these four lights, and the medium canister in the librarians office, had all been removed before the fire in 2014, meaning there were 48 in the library. The library was destroyed by the fire, though many metal fragments from the lights were salvaged, allowing twenty eight to be reconstructed from the original metal pieces, eleven to be made from a mix of original and new pieces (composites) and fifteen new lamps created. All the restoration work and shades was undertaken by Rodney French of Lonsdale & Dutch of Edinburgh.

Lonsdale & Dutch

Lampshade for Library, Glasgow School of Art: Upper Mezzanine- Reconstructed Medium Canister

Originally, and according to Mackintosh’s preparatory sketches, there were thought to be 53 individual lights in the library, each with punched holes in the inner reflectors which allowed light to pass through blue and purple glass. The central array was made up of 12 small canisters attached to the light frame on the ceiling, with eight medium pendants and five large pendants hanging below. There were an additional twelve medium canisters attached to the coffered ceiling both above and below the library balcony, making 24. Originally there were also four additional medium hanging pendants in each of the south and western window bays, though these four lights, and the medium canister in the librarians office, had all been removed before the fire in 2014, meaning there were 48 in the library. The library was destroyed by the fire, though many metal fragments from the lights were salvaged, allowing twenty eight to be reconstructed from the original metal pieces, eleven to be made from a mix of original and new pieces (composites) and fifteen new lamps created. All the restoration work and shades was undertaken by Rodney French of Lonsdale & Dutch of Edinburgh.

Lonsdale & Dutch

Lampshade for Library, Glasgow School of Art: Lower Mezzanine- Composite Medium Canister

Originally, and according to Mackintosh’s preparatory sketches, there were thought to be 53 individual lights in the library, each with punched holes in the inner reflectors which allowed light to pass through blue and purple glass. The central array was made up of 12 small canisters attached to the light frame on the ceiling, with eight medium pendants and five large pendants hanging below. There were an additional twelve medium canisters attached to the coffered ceiling both above and below the library balcony, making 24. Originally there were also four additional medium hanging pendants in each of the south and western window bays, though these four lights, and the medium canister in the librarians office, had all been removed before the fire in 2014, meaning there were 48 in the library. The library was destroyed by the fire, though many metal fragments from the lights were salvaged, allowing twenty eight to be reconstructed from the original metal pieces, eleven to be made from a mix of original and new pieces (composites) and fifteen new lamps created. All the restoration work and shades was undertaken by Rodney French of Lonsdale & Dutch of Edinburgh.

Lonsdale & Dutch

Lampshade for Library, Glasgow School of Art: Central Cluster- Reconstructed Small Canister

Originally, and according to Mackintosh’s preparatory sketches, there were thought to be 53 individual lights in the library, each with punched holes in the inner reflectors which allowed light to pass through blue and purple glass. The central array was made up of 12 small canisters attached to the light frame on the ceiling, with eight medium pendants and five large pendants hanging below. There were an additional twelve medium canisters attached to the coffered ceiling both above and below the library balcony, making 24. Originally there were also four additional medium hanging pendants in each of the south and western window bays, though these four lights, and the medium canister in the librarians office, had all been removed before the fire in 2014, meaning there were 48 in the library. The library was destroyed by the fire, though many metal fragments from the lights were salvaged, allowing twenty eight to be reconstructed from the original metal pieces, eleven to be made from a mix of original and new pieces (composites) and fifteen new lamps created. All the restoration work and shades was undertaken by Rodney French of Lonsdale & Dutch of Edinburgh.

Lonsdale & Dutch

Records of the Glasgow School of Art Students' Representative Council, Glasgow, Scotland

  • DC 009
  • Collection
  • c1941-2017

Includes:

  • Administrative paperwork, minute book
  • tudent activities (handbooks, Activities Week schedules, posters)
  • Newsletters, SRC guidelines and flyers
  • Publications
  • Banners

Please note that this material is not yet fully catalogued and therefore some items may not be accessible to researchers.

Glasgow School of Art Students' Representative Council

Records of the Exhibitions Department

This material is currently uncatalogued and therefore not accessible for researchers. It includes exhibition catalogues; proposals; department correspondence; press and marketing material (including posters); and documentary digital images (stored on discs). Committee papers held within this department include - Exhibitions Advisory Group/Exhibitions Committee.

The Glasgow School of Art

Glasgow School of Art memoranda

Conrad McKenna’s memoranda from The Glasgow School of Art, correspondence and materials reflecting his experience as both a student and teacher at The Glasgow School of Art. Includes a combination of typed and hand written materials, photocopies, clippings and printed ephemera. Includes correspondence in English with: The Glasgow School of Art Archives and Collections, The Glasgow School of Art, The Staff Association (The Glasgow School of Art), The British Council, The Royal Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts, Glasgow Museums & Art Galleries, Dante Alighieri Society (Glasgow), W. H. Emmett (Scotland) Limited. Correspondence generally relates to The Glasgow School of Art, regarding: Conrad McKenna’s time as a student and employee of GSA as a tutor in The Glasgow School of Art Evening School, the General Course (Department of Design) and First Year Course. Also include references for Conrad McKenna by Edward G. Powell, Douglas Percy Bliss and H. Jefferson Barnes; correspondence regarding Conrad McKenna’s print designs for Stobhill General Hospital, Glasgow; correspondence regarding Conrad McKenna’s Travelling Scholarship; Conrad McKenna’s confirmation of Post Diploma study, with a hand written recommendation from Douglas Percy Bliss; and Conrad McKenna’s donation to The Glasgow School of Art Archives and Collections and includes a transcript of an interview conducted by Susannah Waters, Archivist at The Glasgow School of Art Archives and Collections, 3 May 2014.

McKenna, Conrad

Textiles and papers of Fraser Taylor, GSA student and designer with The Cloth

  • DC 089
  • Collection
  • c1978-2015

The collection consists of printed textiles, garments and papers relating to Fraser Taylor's time as an undergraduate student at GSA (1978-1981), a postgraduate student at RCA (1983), and items relating to other professional activities. It also includes examples of textiles and associated ephemera for design collective The Cloth (1983-1987).

Taylor, Fraser

'Battle of Britishness' stop motion animated film

Stop motion animated film

Artist's statement: 'To quote Akala who narrates the film, coming to terms with Britain's imperial past "has come to be a part of any understanding of the contradictions of contemporary UK politics". Empire is greatly linked to our history of immigration. The film draws the link between Brexit, Empire and the question of Britishness through the story of immigrants who have come to Britain from past to present. Every scene is a stop motion painting.'

Rowan, Sophie

'Hostile cups: Deter'

'Deter': 1 of a set of 5 ceramic pots, wheel thrown with hand-built adjustments.

Artist statement: "Hostile architecture is a phenomenon with rase rise significantly throughout urban design this century. A widely recognised example of this type of design is the 'uncomfortable bench'. Interventions of this kind are now familiar, and can even be a cause of comfort to privileged audiences, but it is important to consider their sociological effects. We have replaced human interaction, nuance and empathy with hard, physical and non-negotiable solutions. Identifying five core aspects of hostile urban design - limit, control, obstruct, impede and deter - I have developed a series of ceramic cups which each embody one of these qualities."

Source: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Pe53s2N6laNXHxxQ-RrjA5cjvuFNeUPC/view

Gray, Arvinda

Digital drawing: 'Impression of an altered landscape in the western edge of the green belt in Antwerp, Belgium'

Digital drawing: 'Impression of an altered landscape in the western edge of the green belt in Antwerp, Belgium'.

Photo montage of aerial imagery with digital drawing. Made in May 2019 as part of design thesis for diploma in Architecture.

Artist statement: The thesis investigates the relationship between modernity and us, interpreted through readings and alterations of the landscape inside and surrounding the city of Antwerp, Belgium.

Zaccaria, Marco

Results 1 to 50 of 26235