Showing 25 results

Archival description
Glasgow, Scotland Interior design
Print preview View:

2 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Papers of John Walter Lindsay, architect and student of the Glasgow School of Art

  • DC 032
  • Collection
  • 1943-2006

This collection contains:

  • Notebooks, a sketchbook, scrapbooks, and student work from John Walter Lindsay's time at The Glasgow School of Art, 1943-1950
  • Recollections of staff & students and his time at The Glasgow School of Art, 1990s
  • crapbook giving an account of his travels following the award of the Haldane Travel Scholarship, 1950
  • Miscellaneous magazine cuttings concerning architecture, c1950s-1990s
  • Folder arranged by Lindsay containing material relating to Charles Rennie Mackintosh, 1968-1999
  • Folder arranged by Lindsay containing correspondence, 1968-2006
  • Photographs of Keppie Henderson Architects building models, c1950s-1990s
  • Folder arranged by Lindsay containing material relating to his architectural career, c1940s-1990s

This material may contain sensitive information about individuals that is protected by the Data Protection Act. Until this material has been checked for sensitive information, it will not be available for researchers. Once this Data Protection work is complete the collection will be open for access, however any sensitive information will be closed and inaccessible for 75 years from the date of creation.

Lindsay, John Walter

Examples of Mackintosh Fabric

  • DC 020
  • Collection
  • c1900-1986
  • Trimming of mauve linen, pre-1914
  • Original cover of Charles Rennie Mackintosh Willow Tea Rooms settle
  • 4 samples of horse hair fabric
  • ample of purple fabric used to re-upholster Charles Rennie Mackintosh yellow settle
  • Letter from GSA Curator regarding 2 of the fabric samples, dated January 1986

City Chambers, Cathedral, Templeton's etc.

Folder containing 41 black and white photographs of various sizes taken by George Oliver. Some are annotated. Includes: washing lines at Templeton's Carpet Factory, interior of the City Chambers, interior of the Mackintosh Library showing book trolley in a Mackintosh style, Glasgow Cathedral and high rise flats.

Oliver, George

Stoddard-Templeton Carpet and Textile Collection

  • DC 077
  • Collection
  • c1840s-1960s

A collection of carpets and textiles manufactured by James Templeton & Co Ltd, A F Stoddard & Co Ltd or subsidiary companies (which in 1998 together became known as Stoddard International plc), dating from c1840s-1960s. Designs include pictorial scenes, art deco designs, and floral, chintz or medallion-centred designs. The collection also includes a mid-19th century Paisley shawl.

Stoddard International plc

Student material by Donald Melvin, student at The Glasgow School of Art, Scotland

  • DC 074
  • Collection
  • 1960-1968

A collection of sketches, designs, photographs and lithographs by Donald Melvin completed during his time as a student at Glasgow School of Art in the 1960s.
Includes work carried out as part of courses such as, for example, Interior Design, the History of Furniture, the 2nd Year General Course, the Pre-Diploma /Foundation Course and Woodcarving.

Also includes sketches carried out during GSA summer schools abroad in Florence and in Norway, and materials relating to extra-curricular activities such as photographs of productions staged by GSA Dramatic Club and Christmas ball posters.

Melvin, Donald V

Trimming of mauve linen

A fabric trimming from a cushion cover, embroidered before the First World War. The cover has pink roses and green foliage embroidered on authentic 'Mackintosh' mauve linen fabric.It is possible that both design and fabric were purchased from Brown and Beveridge, Bath Street, Glasgow.

Not available / given

Coat of Arms for the stairwell at Glasgow School of Art

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018. The bell is all that remains.

The symbols which form the Glasgow coat of arms all refer to miracles performed by St. Mungo, the patron saint of the city who is normally represented with these emblems on the coat of arms. They first appeared on the seals of bishops of Glasgow, the fish on the seal of William Wishart in 1270, the bird on the seal of Robert Wishart in 1271. They were used together for the first time on the seal of the Chapter of Glasgow in 1488. The salmon with the ring in its mouth refers to the story of the local Queen who gave her ring to a knight she was in love with, the jealous King stole the ring from the knight while he was asleep and then demanded it back from the Queen, having thrown it into the Clyde. In desperation she prayed to St. Mungo who told his followers to cast their fishing nets in the river and bring him the first fish that they caught, a salmon with the Queen's ring in its mouth. The tree represents the green hazel twig which Mungo restored to life after his companions had killed it. The bell represents the service bell used in Mungo's church and still in Glasgow until c1700. Mackintosh's tree is highly abstract in its Art Nouveau 'whiplash' spirals untypical of his work. The bird is a modern replacement of the stolen original.

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie