- 1901-1952 (Creation)
Level of description
Content and Structure
Scope and content
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Name of creator
Article 55 was the name of the Regulations for the Training and Certification of Teachers instituted by the Scotch Education Department aimed at providing teachers with training in drawing. Originally introduced in 1900 as Article 91(d) of the Scotch Code of Regulations for Day Classes they were renamed in 1906 as Article 55. By completing Article 55 courses teachers could gain a qualification enabling them to teach drawing in schools. In 1901 Francis Newbery, Glasgow School of Art's Director at the time, introduced Article 91(d) classes; in-service courses for teachers were instituted at the School by arrangement with Lanark County Council's Technical Education Committee.
In 1905 Newbery introduced the Public School Teacher's Drawing Diploma which could be awarded to those students completing three years of training. Work was extended over a period of three sessions and was divided into three courses; first, second and third. At the end of each course provisional certificates were issued and when the third course was completed the full diploma was awarded. After completion of their diplomas students had the chance to continue with more advanced instruction, post diploma study, whereby it was possible to earn endorsements upon their diplomas.
In 1906 the Glasgow Provincial Committee for the Training and Certification of Teachers was established by the Scotch Education Department and Glasgow School of Art became a centre for teacher training. It was also at this time that the classes were renamed Article 55. Classes were now run under the auspices of the new Provincial Committee and it was they who took over responsibility for the first and second year courses leaving the School of Art to concentrate on the more advanced classes.
In 1906 when the School awarded its first diplomas to full time students the Drawing diploma was renamed the "Public School Teacher's Certificate in Drawing". Article 91(d) and Article 55 Classes were held on Saturdays between October and March. From 1908 classes were also held on Thursday evenings. Classes were open to all teachers in primary, intermediate and secondary schools. 1906-1907 saw the introduction of a two year post certificate course in art needlework and in later years similar two year post certificate courses were introduced including repousse metalwork, silversmithing, and enamels; woodcarving; pottery; leatherwork; painted work or applied design; bookbinding. Between 1906 and 1911 Christmas vacation courses for those wishing to obtain certificates and post certificates were run. The School also ran summer courses from 1908 with students attending from all over Scotland.
In 1922-1923 there was a change in the structure of courses; the two year post certificate courses were collectively named "craft courses" and could be taken as certificate courses also. In addition, in order to receive a certificate for any of the craft courses, a course in design was required to be completed first.