Papers of Henry MacManus, Headmaster of Glasgow School of Art, 1844-1848
- 1846 (Creation)
Level of description
Content and Structure
Scope and content
All that remains of MacManus' correspondence is two letters written to him by Charles Heath Wilson in 1846 while the latter was an Inspector at Somerset House, London.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
This material has been appraised in line with Glasgow School of Art Archives and Collections standard procedures.
System of arrangement
The letters are in chronological order.
Name of creator
Henry MacManus, 1810-1878, art teacher and artist, was born in County Monaghan, Ireland. He worked in London from 1837-1844 and was a Head Teacher at Somerset House, London before being appointed Headmaster at the new Glasgow School of Design in 1844. The School was based at 16 Ingram Street and had accommodation for 500 pupils. MacManus started off on a high note, winning the confidence of the governors, who recommended him for a salary increase the next year. However he resigned in 1848 due to problems with the committee of management and returned to Dublin to become Headmaster of the Dublin School of Art, a position he held with great success until 1862. His departure from Glasgow became something of a cause celebre in the local press and art magazines, as Charles Heath Wilson, the man responsible for the report cited as the reason for MacManus leaving, became the subsequent Headmaster. MacManus, a painter, exhibited at the Royal Hibernian Academy, eventually being made the Honorary Professor of Painting there. He also exhibited at the Royal Academy, 1839-1841, British Institute and the OWS. He painted historical scenes and scenes of Irish life. He also worked as a book illustrator.
Name of creator
Charles Heath Wilson, art teacher and author, eldest son of Andrew Wilson, the landscape-painter, was born in London in September 1809. He studied art under his father, and in 1826 accompanied him to Italy. After seven years, he returned to Edinburgh, where he practised as an architect, and was for some time teacher of ornament and design in the School of Art.While in Edinburgh he wrote and published, in collaboration with William Dyce, a pamphlet (addressed to Lord Meadowbank) upon "The Best Means of ameliorating the Arts and Manufactures of Scotland," which attracted much attention. Shortly afterwards Dyce was made director and secretary of the recently established schools of art at Somerset House, but resigned in 1843, and Wilson, who had meanwhile been director of the Edinburgh school, was appointed his successor. His position there was not much more comfortable than Dyce's had been, and in 1848 he also resigned.In 1840 he had visited the continent to make a report to government on fresco-painting, and while in Glasgow he was occupied for nearly ten years under the Board of Trade in superintending the filling of the windows of Glasgow Cathedral with Munich pictures in coloured glass. He selected the subjects and wrote a description of the work (prefaced by some account of the process), which went through many editions. In January 1849 he became the second Headmaster of the new Glasgow School of Design. The School underwent many changes during Wilson's period of tenure, with the introduction of life classes, aand a mechanical and architectural drawing class. Wilson taught a class on practical geometry, and superintended the advanced class. The courses of study were modified to retain established designers and pattern drawers in the School. In 1853, with the creation of the Science and Art Department, the Glasgow School of Design became the Glasgow School of Art. In 1864 the Board of Trade masterships were suppressed and Wilson was pensioned, but continued his involvement with the School of Art for some years longer. He stayed in Glasgow, doing architectural work, and is listed as an Honorary Director of the School, and one of the Haldane Academy Trustees. He also gave evidence to several Commons Select Commitees, and prepared a report for the Commission on the Design of the National Gallery. In 1869 he and his family finally left Scotland and settled at Florence, where he became the life and centre of a large literary and artistic circle. He was much interested in Italian art, on which he wrote occasionally, particularly Michael Angelo. He had, for these and other services, the cross of the "Corona d'Italia" conferred upon him by Victor Emmanuel.He died at Florence on 3 July 1882.
Physical Description and Conditions of Use
Conditions governing access
Directors' papers which are over 30 years old are available for public consultation. Permission from the Director is needed for access to those less than 30 years old.
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Place access points
People and Organisations
Genre access points
GB 1694 GSAA/DIR/1
Rules and/or conventions used
ISAD(G): General International Standard Archival Description - Second edition