Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Alexander Graham Glen was born on 11 May 1891. He studied architecture at The Glasgow School of Art from 1907 to 1914 under M Bourdon and Alexander McGibbon. From 1907 he served his articles with William Gardner Rowan and from 1911 he was employed as a draughtsman with Alexander McInnes Gardner and latterly Alexander Nisbet Paterson. In 1915 he was called up for active service. Upon demobilisation in April 1919 he joined the practice of Gardner & Crawley. Glen was a member of the Glasgow Institute of Architects and was elected ARIBA in the mid 1920s. In 1926 he married Mary Glen, who later died in childbirth. He retired by 1960, moving to the Isle of Arran with Marguerite Shields Benson, whom he married in 1943. In 1950 Glen became Deacon of the Guild of Skinners and Glovers, and in 1961 Preses (president) of the Grand Antiquity Society. His grandfather Alexander Burns Glen had been a glover and cap maker in Glasgow, and was also involved in the Guild. Glen is commemorated on The Glasgow School of Art's First World War Roll of Honour. He also appears on the Glasgow Institute of Architects Roll of Honour and served as Private in the 6th Battalion Highland Light Infantry (Student).
If you have any more information, please get in touch.