- Jun 1942-May 1979 (Creation)
Level of description
Content and Structure
Scope and content
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Name of creator
All preparations for the building of a Secondary School in the Knightswood area were complete in 1939 but were abandoned owing to the outbreak of war. The present building was based on a revised schedule of accommodation and is a comprehensive school catering for 1350 pupils of both sexes.
The 14 acre site on the north side of Anniesland Rd had a considerable fall from west to east and had been utilized by concentrating the school buildings on the high ground towards the south west, the remainder being developed to provide two football pitches, one hockey pitch and 4 tennis courts, arranged on various levels.
The plan form adopted groups specialised subjects in wings adjoining a 4 storey apine block which ran east and west. This block contained, on the ground floor, cloakrooms, lavatories and the administration suite, and on the upper floors a total of 27 general classrooms. On the north side is a 3 storey wing containing technical subjects, domestic science, commercial and geography departments and a spacious library/reading room. In the housewifery demonstration flat and staff rooms which occupied part of this wing, an attempt was made to create a more domestic scale within the standard framework by raising the floor levels. Another 3 storey wing on the south side accommodated the departments of science and art.
Adjacent to the main playing fields, and connected by a glass link, to this classroom spine block is the physical education unit, housing 3 gymnasia above their appropriate changing and shower rooms. The spine block is terminated on the west by a unit accommodating a dining hall (seating 200) and kitchen on the ground floor and assembly hall on the first floor. This hall is provided with a projection room, dressing rooms and a stage, fully equipped for theatrical performances.
Work commenced in the school in 1954 and it was occupied in April 1958.
SCHOOL EXTENSION: It was intended that the architects develop plans for the whole school in such a manner that construction would start on £250 000 of work in 1972. This part of the school was to be able to operate as a complement to the existing old accommodation after the removal of whatever huts were required (other than dining). The accommodation in Phase 1 was to be at least 90% educational as no staff rooms etc were envisaged. The only subject area which had to appear in Phase 1 was science. It was thought that the reminder of the area would be made up with general subjects space but this depended on the development of the complete plans. It proved difficult to set targets for Phase 1 but a total area of approximately 30 000 sq. feet was expected.
Altertations to Onslow Dr and/or the main school were planned for the Spring/Summer of 1972 to allow demolition and construction to go ahead. These alterations were dependent on the exact nature of the accommodation envisaged in Phase 1.