- c1915 (Creation)
Level of description
Content and Structure
Scope and content
- 3 x decorated leather bags
- 1 x embossed leather sample
- 1 decorated leather folder
- 1 x copy of Le Cuir Compositions Décoratives by Jehan Raymond
- 6 x oil paintings
- 2 x embroidered pieces relating to Educational Needlecraft scheme: 1 mat with running stitch border and 1 drawstring bag with running stitch border
- 1 x embroidered pin cushion
- 1 x embroidered cloth bag with wooden clasp
- 1 x square Glasgow Style embroidery (possibly the front of a cushion cover)
- 1 x sachet decorated with embroidered flowers
- 1 x embroidered square mat
Please note that this material is not yet fully catalogued and therefore some items may not be accessible to researchers.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Name of creator
Rose Valentine was born on the 28th of October 1879. She attended Girvan Burgh School and then Ayr Academy where Mr R. Smeaton Douglas was art master. Her school work was mentioned in the Ayrshire Post on the 24th June 1910 when she was part of an exhibition of work by the art department. Valentine attended The Glasgow School of Art for the session 1911 - 1912 when her student number was 461. Her address at this time was care of Mrs Clemens, 28 Bute Terrace, Glasgow. She was an afternoon student and studied design. Her teacher was Ann Macbeth and, judging by artwork left to her family members, it is likely that she studied Bookbinding and Decoration, where the students were taught to tool and decorate leather items such as caskets and portfolios.
If you have any more information please get in touch.
Additional information provided by a private researcher.
Physical Description and Conditions of Use
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Application for permission to reproduce should be submitted to The Archives and Collections at The Glasgow School of Art.
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use and condition of material.
For further details, please refer to our Reprographic Service Guide @ https://gsaarchives.com/policies