- 1840s-1850s (Creation)
Level of description
Content and Structure
Scope and content
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Name of creator
Physical Description and Conditions of Use
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Application for permission to reproduce should be submitted to The Archives and Collections at The Glasgow School of Art.
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use and condition of material.
For further details, please refer to our Reprographic Service Guide @ https://gsaarchives.com/policies
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Collection Historical Note
These designs would have been transferred to woodblocks for the printing of shawls. The designs would have been devised by freelance designers or in-house by a shawl manufacturer for sale to manufacturers.
Designs were brought together as a teaching aid by T C Campbell Mackie, a lecturer at The Glasgow School of Art from 1921-1950 and Head of the Design & Crafts Department from 1932-1945.
People and Organisations
- The Glasgow School of Art (Subject)
Genre access points
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
- Description adapted from Scottish Textile Heritage Online website by Susannah Waters, Archivist, Glasgow School of Art, May 2011.
- Archives Hub description updated by Carrie Skinner, Logjam Project Officer, September 2011.
- Item level descriptions added by Michelle Kaye, Archives and Collections Assistant, January 2013.
- Archives Hub description updated by Michelle Kaye, Archives and Collections Assistant, January 2013.
- Catalogue imported into Archon software and edited by Michelle Kaye, Archon Project Officer, May 2014.
- Catalogue exported from Archon and imported into AtoM during system migration, 2018-2019.