- c1956 (Creation)
Level of description
Content and Structure
Scope and content
The collection consists of 27 dolls all dressed in period costume. They are composed of various mixed media including fabrics, metal, glass, plastics, feathers and furs.
This collection was damaged in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 23rd May 2014 and is awaiting conservation.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
This material has been appraised in line with Glasgow School of Art Archives and Collections standard procedures.
System of arrangement
The dolls are arranged chronologically by group. The arrangement within each group starts with the most important or most easily identifiable member of each group, followed in age order. Dolls that are without a coherent group are listed at the end of the scheme.
Name of creator
Anne Scott (fl 1956-2002) was a graduate of Edinburgh College of Art, and was well known at the time for her dolls.
Created by Anne Scott and used within the Department of Embroidered and Woven Textiles.
Date of deposit with the Glasgow School of Art Archives: unknown.
Physical Description and Conditions of Use
Conditions governing access
Glasgow School of Art Archives and Collections are open for research by appointment. For further details, please refer to our Access Policy @ https://gsaarchives.net/policies
Conditions governing reproduction
Application for permission to reproduce should be submitted to The Archives and Collections at The Glasgow School of Art.
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use and condition of material.
For further details, please refer to our Reprographic Service Guide @ https://gsaarchives.net/policies
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
No known copies.
Collection Historical Note
In 1956, when he was deputy director of the Glasgow School of Art , Glasgow, Scotland, Sir Harry Barnes commissioned Anne Scott to produce a collection of dolls. The dolls are intended to symbolise various figures from Scottish and British History, and were on long-term display within the School. They were then used as as a teaching aid in Glasgow School of Art's Embroidered and Woven Textile Department. Each doll would have originally been part of a smaller group of three or four figures. Unfortunately over time some of the dolls have become lost or irreparably damaged, leaving some groups incomplete, and some dolls that do not seem to fit coherently into any group.
Anne Scott was a graduate of Edinburgh College of Art, and was well known at the time for her dolls. The dolls underwent some conservation from Anne Scott in 2000 where repairs were made and each doll received a new stand.
Place access points
People and Organisations
Genre access points
Level of detail
- Fonds level description compiled by David Powell, Hub Project Archivist, 7 November 2001
- Updated by David Powell, Hub Project Archivist, 14 May 2002
- Fond level description imported from the Archives Hub 25 August 2006
- Updated by Kimberly Sommerville, GSA volunteer, 1st May 2009
- Archives Hub description updated by Carrie Skinner, Logjam Project Officer, September 2011
- Catalogue imported into Archon software and edited by Michelle Kaye, Archon Project Officer, April 2014
- Catalogue exported from Archon and imported into AtoM during system migration, 2018-2019.
Finding Aid Authors: The Glasgow School of Art Archives and Collections.
© Copyright 2014 GSA Archives. All rights reserved.