- 1943-2006 (Creation)
Level of description
2 Cubic Feet
Content and Structure
Scope and content
This collection contains:
- Notebooks, a sketchbook, scrapbooks, and student work from John Walter Lindsay's time at The Glasgow School of Art, 1943-1950
- Recollections of staff & students and his time at The Glasgow School of Art, 1990s
- crapbook giving an account of his travels following the award of the Haldane Travel Scholarship, 1950
- Miscellaneous magazine cuttings concerning architecture, c1950s-1990s
- Folder arranged by Lindsay containing material relating to Charles Rennie Mackintosh, 1968-1999
- Folder arranged by Lindsay containing correspondence, 1968-2006
- Photographs of Keppie Henderson Architects building models, c1950s-1990s
- Folder arranged by Lindsay containing material relating to his architectural career, c1940s-1990s
This material may contain sensitive information about individuals that is protected by the Data Protection Act. Until this material has been checked for sensitive information, it will not be available for researchers. Once this Data Protection work is complete the collection will be open for access, however any sensitive information will be closed and inaccessible for 75 years from the date of creation.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
This material has been appraised in line with Glasgow School of Art Archives and Collections standard procedures.
System of arrangement
The material has been arranged and described by Mr. Lindsay and is retained in the order in which he deposited it. New materials acquired in 2008, with Mr. Lindsay's original arrangement retained where possible.
Name of creator
John Walter Lindsay was born in 1926. He attended Biggar High School which is where his art career began when the art teacher, Mr. Russell, convinced John's father that he should study art. After gaining his higher certificate John enrolled at the Normal College in New City Road for evening studies in painting, decorating and sign writing. In addition, he enrolled as a day pupil at the Glasgow School of Art in the General Couse. In 1945 his studies were interrupted when he was called up for military service. He resumed his studies in 1947 and left the school in 1949 with a Diploma of Art in Interior Design. He travelled round Europe following the award of the Haldane Travel Scholarship in 1950. He went on to work as an architect for Keppie Henderson Architects, Glasgow.
Unknown. Immediate source of acquisition was a deposit by Mr J W Lindsay in 1998 to 2001.
Physical Description and Conditions of Use
Conditions governing access
Glasgow School of Art Archives and Collections are open for research by appointment. For further details, please refer to our Access Policy @ https://gsaarchives.net/policies
Conditions governing reproduction
Application for permission to reproduce should be submitted to The Archives and Collections at The Glasgow School of Art.
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use and condition of material.
For further details, please refer to our Reprographic Service Guide @ https://gsaarchives.net/policies
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
There are no physical characteristics that affect the use of this material.
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
No known copies.
Place access points
Genre access points
Level of detail
- Fonds level description compiled by David Powell, Hub Project Archivist, 18 October 2001.
- Updated by David Powell, Hub Project Archivist, 14 May 2002.
- Fonds level description imported from the Archives Hub 24 August 2006.
- Updated by Kimberly Sommerville, student placement, 5 November 2008
- Updated by Stacey Kerfoot, Archive Volunteer, 22 June 2010
- Archives Hub description updated by Carrie Skinner, Logjam Project Officer, September 2011
- Catalogue imported into Archon software and edited by Michelle Kaye, Archon Project Officer, May 2014.
- Catalogue exported from Archon and imported into AtoM during system migration, 2018-2019.
Finding Aid Authors: The Glasgow School of Art Archives and Collections.
© Copyright 2014 GSA Archives. All rights reserved.