- 1950-1977 (Creation)
Level of description
1 Linear Foot
Content and Structure
Scope and content
- Catalogues of the Marimekko Textile Company range, c1970s
- Photographs of fabric samples, not dated
- Fabric samples, 1952-1979
- Copies of 'Mobilia'.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
This material has been appraised in line with Glasgow School of Art Archives and Collections standard procedures.
System of arrangement
Name of creator
The Marimekko Corporation is a Finnish textiles and clothing company that was established in 1951 as the Marimekko Textile Company. Its operations are based on the original Marimekko brand and the Marimekko concept, which is derived from the brand and represents the company's lifestyle thinking. There are three product lines: clothing, interior decoration and accessories.
Marimekko was founded by Armi and Viljo Ratia. The company's business concept emerged from a strong desire to create something new, unique, long-lasting and beautiful for post-war Finland.
The 1960s saw a rapid growth in the business operations of the company and its rise to international prominence. Following a restructuring programme in the late 1960s, the company transferred its operations to its own works site in Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland in 1973. The company was taken over by the Amer Group in 1991.
Physical Description and Conditions of Use
Conditions governing access
Glasgow School of Art Archives and Collections are open for research by appointment. For further details, please refer to our Access Policy @ https://gsaarchives.net/policies
Conditions governing reproduction
Application for permission to reproduce should be submitted to The Archives and Collections at The Glasgow School of Art.
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use and condition of material.
For further details, please refer to our Reprographic Service Guide @ https://gsaarchives.net/policies
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Place access points
People and Organisations
Genre access points
Level of detail
- Description created as part of the Glasgow Sub-Hub for Archives project for submission to the Archives Hub using XMetaL XML editor with the EAD DTD, mapped to the elements of ISAD(G)2
- Revised by David Powell, Hub Project Archivist, 14 May 2002
- 08 June 2005 Catalogue record converted to EAD2002, May 2005.
- Revised by Susannah Waters, Archivist, The Glasgow School of Art, May 2011.
- Archives Hub description updated by Carrie Skinner, Logjam Project Officer, September 2011.
- Catalogue imported into Archon software and edited by Michelle Kaye, Archon Project Officer, April 2014.
- Catalogue exported from Archon and imported into AtoM during system migration, 2018-2019.
Finding Aid Authors: The Glasgow School of Art Archives and Collections.
© Copyright 2014 GSA Archives. All rights reserved.