Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Artist Annie Osborne Campbell was born 27 May 1889, is recorded as having attended The Glasgow School of Art (GSA) from 1910 to 1918. An oil painting which she executed under the tutelage of Allan D. Mainds during the 1913-1914 session was sold at auction by Whytes in Dublin on 24 February, 2014. Notes from the http://www.the-saleroom.com/ entry states: "This painting was formerly in the collection of Lissadell House and the sitter is thought to be a nanny employed by the Gore-Booth family. A pencil sketch by Constance Markievicz, sold through Whyte's [26th November 2007, ex lot 94] bears a striking resemblance to the sitter. In her first year Campbell studied afternoon classes of `Preparatory Antique; Ornament and Preparatory Painting` under Alexander Musgrove with a registered address at 970 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow. Between 1912 and 1914, her address changed to 89 Marlborough Avenue, Broomhill and her focus was 'Drawing and Painting' as a day student. From 1914 to 1918 GSA records note a further change of address, to the Smithston Poorhouse and Asylum, Greenock. She continues as a day student and is awarded a number of bursaries; 1914/1915, Bursary £2, 1915/1916 the Haldane Travelling Scholarship, £50 and 1917/1918 a "Special Bursary". From 1916/1917 she adds 'Life; Lettering and Studio' to her subjects. The final entry in her GSA records date to 1917/1918. These are scored through and marked "not coming". Canmore records that, "This poorhouse which also contained asylum accommodation for the mentally ill, was built to replace an earlier poorhouse in Greenock which had been condemned in the early 1870s. Originally built with 3 wings, the one to the West was demolished in the mid 20th century. The remaining wing to the East was originally the asylum with the wing to the North housing offices. The asylum housed 150 patients, and there were 450 paupers in the poorhouse. Each of the units had separate dining halls in the centre of the complex. All were under the supervision of a governor and resident doctor. To the West was the infirmary and it provided accommodation for 100 patients. Larger poorhouses, such as this one, often had adjoining infirmaries to house the sick. Further to the West, and detached from the infirmary, was a contagious ward which was demolished in the mid 20th century. A number of service buildings for the poorhouse are incorporated into the original plan and are situated in the courtyard and to the South. The cost of the building was £80,000 and this expense was criticised by some contemporaries who referred to it as "The Palace of the Kip Valley". During World War One, a section of the building was used for military casualties. After 1930 it became a Poor Law Hospital. In 1939 the Admiralty took over the premises and in 1941, it became the UK headquarters of the Canadian Navy and known as HMCS Niobe. With the advent of the National Health Service in 1948 the building became known as Ravenscraig Hospital and latterly provided care for the elderly and mentally ill".