Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Donald John Cameron was born on 10 May 1894, the son of Hugh Cameron, seaman, and his wife Euphemia MacCormick. He was articled to Brand & Lithgow of Glasgow on 5 September 1910, and studied at The Glasgow School of Architecture under Eugène Bourdon from 1911 to 1916. His training was interrupted by the First World War but he later assisted in the offices of Thomas Lennox Watson and of Thomas Baird, and in the Architectural Department of the shipbuilding company A Stephen & Son, where he worked on interior design. He commenced practice on his own account in Glasgow in 1922, and two years later was taken into partnership by his former employer S B Lithgow at 183 West George Street. He obtained automatic admittance as LRIBA in June 1925, at which date he was living at 149 Watt Street, Glasgow. By 1934 Cameron had closed his city office and was practising from home at 2 Saxon Road, Glasgow. He was still at the same address in 1955 when he was elected FRIBA. Cameron died on 11 July 1972 at the Sacred Heart Hospital in Daliburgh. He was survived by his wife Constance Macdonald and his son who lived in Essex.
Sources: Dictionary of Scottish Architecture.