Showing 2218 results

Person/Organisation
Person

Burnet, Sir John James

  • P281
  • Person
  • 1857-1938

Born in Glasgow, John James Burnet was the son of John Burnet (1814-1901) , a self-taught architect based in Glasgow, and grandson of Lieutenant George Burnet of the Kirkcudbright and Galloway Militia.

John James trained at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris c1874-77. Afterwards, he joined his father's architectural practice John Burnet and Son, then Burnet Son & Campbell till 1897, when he was made FRIBA and President of the Glasgow Insitute of Architects. He later established a successful office of his own initially in Glasgow (John Burnet & Son) and then a second office in London (John J. Burnet).

The latter was set up in 1905 after Burnet had secured the prestigious contract to design the Edward VII galleries for the British Museum (1903/4-14), for which he was awarded a knighthood. One of Burnet's key assistants and later partners was the architect Thomas Tait (John Burnet, Tait & Lorne from 1930 to 1938). Burnet was also awarded the Royal Gold Medal from RIBA in 1923.

He was also a visitor and examiner to classes at The Glasgow School of Art, performing the following roles between 1882 and 1916:

Examiner for local competitions 1882-1884.

Examiner for local competitions (Architectural Section): 1889-1892, 1897.

Examiner for local competitions (Design) 1891-1893. Examiner for local competitions (Modelling section) 1891, 1892.

Examiner for Haldane bursaries: 1892-1894, 1900. Examiner for local competitions (Antique, life and still life) 1894.

Visitor for Architecture 1893. Visitor and examiner for Architecture 1894 - 1899.

Examiner for Institute of Architects' Prize 1898. Visitor to classes and examiner under local prize scheme (Architecture and modelling) 1901, 1902.

Visitor to classes and examiner under local prize scheme (Design and Decorative Art) 1901.

Examiner for bursaries and studentships (Architecture and Modelling) 1903,1904. Examiner for bursaries and studentships (Architecture) 1904/1905.

Judge for Diplomas, scholarships and bursaries (Modelling) 1909/1910, 1912/1913.

Judge for Diplomas, scholarships and bursaries (Drawing and Painting) 1915/1916.

Burnett, Ralph

  • P515
  • Person
  • fl 1969-1976

Ralph Burnett was a member of staff at The Glasgow School of Art from 1969/70 to 1975/6. His posts were Assistant in Charge: Photography 1969/70 - 1970/71, Lecturer in Charge: Graphic Design (Photography) 1971/72 - 1974/75 and Lecturer in Charge: Design (Photography) 1975/76. He also took a number of photographs of GSA, including the Mackintosh Library and the modern GSA Library.

Burnie, Alexander M M

  • S1269
  • Person

Alexander M. M. Burnie (born 08/04/1901) attended the Glasgow School of Art between 1918 and 1919. He studied evening classes in Drawing and Painting. Alexander worked as a Process Artist. He lived in Bridgeton in the East End of Glasgow.

If you have any further information, please get in touch.

Burns, Robert

  • P604
  • Person
  • fl 1969-

Robert Burns is a Glasgow-based photographer.

Burns, William Alexander

  • P831
  • Person
  • 1921-1972

Born in Glasgow, Burns learned to fly at the Glasgow Flying Club in 1938 and was quickly called up as a pilot once war was declared. Following active service, he was invalided out of the RAF in 1942.

Burns studied at the Glasgow School of Art from 1944-1948 where he was a contemporary of Joan Eardley and Danny Ferguson. He then attended Jordanhill College of Education from 1948 -1949, completing a dissertation entitled "Teaching the Blind,"and also studied at Hospitalfield, Arbroath. He later started teaching at Aberdeen College of Education, going on to become a principal lecturer and the Head of the Art Department.

Flying remained a fascination and he kept his own light aircraft at Dyce airport, using it to explore the east coast landscape which inspired many of his later works. He died when his plane crashed in dense fog off the coast between Newtonhill and Portlethen, just south of Aberdeen.

His paintings can be seen in many public collections, with several held at GMRC.

Burton, Nancy Jane

  • S592
  • Person

Nancy Jane Burton was born in Ardgour, Argyll on the 10th February 1891. She worked as an animal painter, mainly in watercolour and occasionally oil. She studied at the Glasgow School of Art in 1914 and 1916, taking day classes in drawing and painting and evening classes in lithography. Her occupation during this time is listed as an art mistress. Burton studied under Murray Thomson. She received the Lauder Award in 1924. Burton lived in Aberfoyle, Perthshire before moving to a farm near Tyndrum. In the early 1930s while visiting her sister in Kashmir, she visited Afghanistan and painted numerous water colours of the area. She was close friends of 'Glasgow Girls' artists Kate Cameron and Helen Lamb. Burton is regarded as one of Scotland's leading animal painters of the first half of the 20th century. Burton died in Aberfoyle on the 15th August 1972.

If you have any more information, please get in touch.

Sources: the Dictionary of Scottish Art and Architecture by Peter J M McEwan; Scotland's People: http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.

Buskene, Joseph

  • S1270
  • Person

Joseph Buskene attended the Glasgow School of Art between 1917 and 1918. He studied Drawing and Painting in Evening Classes. Joseph was one of a number of Belgian Refugees who came over to Glasgow during the First World War after the German invasion. The GSA gave free tuition to these refugees. While Joseph was staying in Glasgow, he lived in St George's Cross. It is not known how long he was in the UK for.

If you have any further information, please get in touch.

Buttere, F H R

  • S186
  • Person

F H R Buttere was a student at the Glasgow School of Art c1914. He is listed in the School's World War One Roll of Honour.

If you have any more information, please get in touch.

Byng, Clara M

  • S1271
  • Person

Clara M Byng (born 07/03/1897) attended the Glasgow School of Art between 1918 and 1919. She studied Day Classes in Drawing and Painting. Clara was an Art Mistress. Her address is listed as Almond Street in Derby.

If you have any further information, please get in touch.

Byrne, John

  • P38
  • Person
  • 1940-

Scottish artist. Attended The Glasgow School of Art 1958-1963.

Prizes won in 1963 –Chalmers Bursary (RSA Painting Competition), £30

Newbery Medal (GSA medal awarded to best student)

W.O. Hutchison (GSA medal awarded to best D&P student), £3-10/-

Bellahouston Scholarship (GSA travelling scholarship), £500

John Byrne has gone on to become a successful television and theatre writer, painter and illustrator. In the 1960s and 1970s he produced a number of naive, dream-like paintings influenced by Douanier Rousseau which he signed 'Patrick'. These works reveal great technical mastery and have become symbols of the pop music of the era, especially his portrait of the Beatles painted for The Illustrated Beatles Lyrics. He also painted a portrait of comedian Billy Connolly and produced several influential records sleeves.

A master of many styles, Byrne is also a capable still life and portrait painter in a more traditional manner.

Byrne, Mary

  • S1272
  • Person

Mary Byrne (born 18/10/1898) studied at the Glasgow School of Art between 1916 and 1920. Mary studied Evening Classes in Drawing and Painting throughout her time at the GSA. When she began studying at the School, she was registered as a Clerkess, but from 1919, her occupation was listed as Milliner. In 1918, she achieved a Glasgow School Board bursary of £1, 1 shilling. She was also listed as taking her lessons in the Fashion Room. Mary lived in the East End of Glasgow.

If you have any further information, please get in touch.

Byrne, Thomas

  • S187
  • Person

Thomas Byrne was a student at the Glasgow School of Art c1914. He is listed in the School's World War One Roll of Honour.

If you have any more information, please get in touch.

Cadenhead, Andrew

  • S652
  • Person

Andrew Cadenhead enrolled as an evening student in the Drawing and Painting class for the 1918-1919 sesssion only. He lived at 34 Edmund Street in Dennistoun.

If you have any more information please get in touch.

Cadenhead, James

  • P146
  • Person
  • 1858-1927

Cadenhead was a Scottish landscape and portrait painter. He was born in Aberdeen, the only son of the procurator-fiscal, and received his early training in art in that city, showing an aptitude for black and white drawing, etching and portraiture. He was encouraged in his art endeavours by Dr. John Forbes White (art collector and photographer, and brother-in-law of surgeon and photographer, Thomas Keith) who aroused his interest in the old masters, and artists of the French Barbizon and modern Dutch schools. He went on to the Royal Scottish Academy schools in Edinburgh, then, in 1882, to Paris to study at the atelier of Carolus-Duran. There he was also strongly influenced by the work of Jean Charles Cazin (1840-1901).
Cadenhead returned to Aberdeen in 1884, moving to Edinburgh in 1891. In 1893, he was elected a member of the Royal Scottish Society of Painters in Watercolour, and in 1902 was made an Associate of the Royal Scottish Academy. He became Chairman of the Society of Scottish Artists, and was one of the original committee of the Scottish Modern Arts Association. He exhibited regularly at the Royal Scottish Academy and Royal Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts, and was elected a Scottish Royal Academician in 1921. Amongst his portraits is one of his mother entitled "Lady with Japanese Screen and Goldfish" (1886, City Art Gallery, Edinburgh). Cadenhead died in Edinburgh in 1927.

Cairns, Brian

  • P459
  • Person
  • fl c1980s-

Brian Cairns is the principal of Brian Cairns Studio and lectures on the undergraduate illustration and masters courses. Brian has over 25 years experience as a design practitioner for global clients including Ridley Scott Associates, United Airlines, IDEO, Hyatt, The New York Times, BBC, Channel 4, Hewlett Packard (HP), HermanMiller, The George Lucas Foundation, and Nike. Brian’s work is featured in many international awards annuals and publications on communication design including Handwritten, 100 Illustrators, and Typographic Sketchbooks. Awards include a ‘Gold’ medal from the Society of Illustrators of New York. Brian writes for design journals, including 3×3, DART, and Varoom. In 2010 he was foreman of the illustration jury for the Design & Art Direction Annual and recently presented at the ICON8 Conference in Portland, July 2014. He is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and has represented GSA on the Adobe program Partners by Design for 6 years (2004-2010).

Cairns, George

  • P561
  • Person
  • 1949-

George Cairns graduated from The Glasgow School of Art with a Doctoral Degree in 1992.

Cairns, Jessie Mary

  • S653
  • Person

Jessie Mary Cairns was born in Crieff, Perthshire to F. William Cairns and Mary McNaughton. The family lived in Ashwood in Crieff when she first registered at the School, but would appear to have moved to Dalcruin in Comrie by the end of her course. While studying in Glasgow, Jessie stayed in Dennistoun. From annotated photographs within the collection we can tell that Jessie was also known to some as "Bunty". She died in Crieff in 1985.

Sources: Family tree and family photographs are available on ancestry.com.

Cairns, May

  • P413
  • Person
  • fl c1910s

A Mary Cairns attended The Glasgow School of Art between 1914-1919.

Calderwood, Alice

  • S654
  • Person

Alice Calderwood was born on 12 May 1900. She attended The Glasgow School of Art as an evening student from 1918-1919 studying Drawing and Painting. At the time she enrolled at the School, her address was 130 North Street in Charing Cross and her occupation was listed as Clerkess. The 1901 Census has an entry for an Alice Calderwood born about 1900, the eldest of three daughters born to James Calderwood and Elizabeth M Calderwood. James Calderwood, a hairdresser, was born about 1864 in Old Cumnock in Ayrshire.

If you have any more information please get in touch.

Calderwood, John

  • P362
  • Person
  • fl c1990s

John Calderwood was a technician within the ceramics department at The Glasgow School of Art in the 1990s.

Callender, Peter

  • S188
  • Person

Peter Callender was born on the 4th of June 1899, the youngest of 7 children (siblings John, Adam, Thomas M, Annie N, Lizzie and William T) of Annie (nee Neil) and John, an iron farrier. Callender attended The Glasgow School of Art from 1917 to 1918 when he was working as a tool setter, but was unable to attend as he was called up to serve in the army, but returned as an evening student of drawing and painting from 1923-1924, while working as an architect. During the First World War, Callender was a Captain in the Training Reserve Battalion. After the war, in 1932, he married Isabella Montgomery. He died on the 27th March 1958 in Middlesex. Callender is commemorated on The Glasgow School of Art's First World War Roll of Honour.

If you have any more information, please get in touch.

Sources: Scotland's People: http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and Ancestry http://www.ancestry.com

Callista, Sister

  • S655
  • Person

Sister Callista, born Mary Catherine McGeehan on 6 March 1877, is first recorded under her birth name at the Glasgow School of Art in 1888 when she was just 9 years of age. Part of a large and artistically gifted family, she travelled to the School with her two elder sisters, Jessie Mary and Annie Louise (Aniza) from Rawyards, Airdrie, where their father, Patrick, was a businessman and deeply involved in the town's community and church life. All three women went on to become respected artists and another younger sister, Elizabeth, followed in their footsteps enrolling at the School in 1902. Although her elder sisters are listed in the register again in 1989, Mary's name does not appear.

In 1904 she entered the Order of Sisters of Notre Dame, taking her final vows in 1914; that same year she registered at the School again, now as Sister Callista, with her address recorded as Notre Dame Training College, Dowanhill. Sister Callista does not appear on the roll for the following year, but re-registered in 1916, 1917 and 1918 joining the metalwork course for each of the four years. For at least two years, she was taught by a Mr Davidson, presumably Peter Wylie Davidson, Assistant Master of Decorative Art and Metalwork, member of staff from 1897 - 1934/5. Obviously a talented student, she won the Mrs D Macleod prize in 1915 awarded for enamel and silversmithing. Notre Dame Training College opened in 1895, the first (female) Catholic Teacher Training College in Scotland and Dowanhill Higher Grade Practising School two years later. The rapid expansion of the school meant that a new chapel and further buildings were soon required. In addition to her teaching duties (she eventually became the Principal art teacher at the Training College in Dowanhill), Sister Callista was responsible for a rose window and four side windows painted for the chapel. When the Training College moved to Bearsden in 1969 (later becoming St Andrew's College of Education) the glass was removed from Dowanhill and placed in storage at Bearsden. Following amalgamation with the University of Glasgow to form the new Faculty of Education, the building was closed in 2002. Four of the windows, Christ the King, Our Lady Queen of the World, St Joseph the Worker and St Peter were then installed in St Peter's Church in Partick, Glasgow.

In addition to producing stained glass, Sister Callista also produced illustrations for a book describing the life of St Julie Billiart, the foundress of the teaching order of Notre Dame de Namur. Perhaps one of her most prestigious commissions was for a large Assumption window for the chapel of the Notre Dame Mother House in Namur, Belgium. Sister Callista died at Notre Dame convent in Glasgow in 1960. Another nun, Sister Campion (see separate entry) studied alongside Sister Callista, following exactly the same course. Notre Dame School continues to teach girls of secondary school age in the West End of Glasgow. It is the only single sex comprehensive school in Scotland. Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre_Dame_High_School,_Glasgow Buildings at Risk Register/Historic Environment Scotland http://www.buildingsatrisk.org.uk/details/915850 Elma MacDonald, Editor of Monklanads Heritage Society magazine http://saintaugustines.org.uk/2012/06/03/a-family-of-artists/

Cameron, Anne

  • S772
  • Person

Anne Cameron studied Textiles at GSA from 1976 and designed garments for the 1978 fashion show.

Cameron, Clare

  • S773
  • Person

Clare Cameron studied P/Dip Textiles at GSA in 1977. She organised and was involved with the music for the 1978 fashion show, and also designed and modelled garments in it. She was awarded a scholarship for postgraduate study in session 1976-77.

As at 2002, she was a freelance textile designer.

Sources: GSA Annual Report 1976-77 GOV/1/10; GSA Flow Magazine Issue 1 http://www.gsa.ac.uk/media/455286/flow1.pdf

Cameron, Donald J

  • S657
  • Person

Donald John Cameron was born on 10 May 1894, the son of Hugh Cameron, seaman, and his wife Euphemia MacCormick. He was articled to Brand & Lithgow of Glasgow on 5 September 1910, and studied at The Glasgow School of Architecture under Eugène Bourdon from 1911 to 1916. His training was interrupted by the First World War but he later assisted in the offices of Thomas Lennox Watson and of Thomas Baird, and in the Architectural Department of the shipbuilding company A Stephen & Son, where he worked on interior design. He commenced practice on his own account in Glasgow in 1922, and two years later was taken into partnership by his former employer S B Lithgow at 183 West George Street. He obtained automatic admittance as LRIBA in June 1925, at which date he was living at 149 Watt Street, Glasgow. By 1934 Cameron had closed his city office and was practising from home at 2 Saxon Road, Glasgow. He was still at the same address in 1955 when he was elected FRIBA. Cameron died on 11 July 1972 at the Sacred Heart Hospital in Daliburgh. He was survived by his wife Constance Macdonald and his son who lived in Essex.

Sources: Dictionary of Scottish Architecture.

Cameron, Dugald

  • P367
  • Person
  • 1939-

Dugald Cameron OBE was Director of The Glasgow School of Art from 1991-1999.

Dugald was born in Glasgow in 1939 and spent his early life near Clydebank. He was educated at the High School of Glasgow. After a number of false starts on leaving school, including a very short time as an apprentice in Rolls-Royce, he entered the Junior non-diploma class at The Glasgow School of Art in January 1957 at the inspired suggestion of Harry Jefferson Barnes, then Registrar and Deputy Director, and thereafter completed the Diploma Course and a Post-Diploma specialising in Industrial Design. He had the great good fortune to be taught drawing by W Drummond Bone, from Ayr, and design by James Goodchild and Joe McCrum. Winning the Trades House of Glasgow travelling scholarship in 1961, he visited Scandinavia which was then the focus of international design.

Shortly after completing his post-diploma he became a part time teacher at GSA in December 1962, then Senior Lecturer in charge of Industrial Design in 1970, Head of Design in 1982 and Director of the School in 1991, retiring in October 1999. He had been appointed to a Chair in the Technische Hogeschool, Delft in 1970 but did not take it up.
During much of that time he practised as a freelance industrial designer working for over forty UK and American companies and, in 1977 with Alan Carlaw, established Squadron Prints, a small enterprise producing commercial lithographs of aircraft, ships and a few other subjects in profile.

On retiral he became a Visiting Professor at the University of Strathclyde in the Department of Design, Manufacturing and Engineering Management and a Visiting Professor to the Department of Aerospace Engineering at The University of Glasgow.

Throughout his life he has been sustained by his enthusiasms for railways, aviation and drawing. He has written and compiled a number of books on aspects of Glasgow’s aviation and railway history, and given many talks on Scotland’s aviation and railway history.

Cameron, Duncan F

  • S190
  • Person

Duncan Ferguson Cameron was born in Bridgeton, Glasgow in 12th March 1894, one of 3 children of Susan Cameron (née Shaw) and Hugh Cameron, a coal salesman. Cameron attended The Glasgow School of Art from 1910 to 1914 as a part-time student of drawing and painting. During the First World War, Cameron served in the Q.O.R. Glasgow Yeomanry regiment. After the war, he worked as a pattern maker. He died in 1969. Cameron is commemorated on The Glasgow School of Art's First World War Roll of Honour.

If you have any more information, please get in touch.

Sources: the Dictionary of Scottish Art and Architecture by Peter J M McEwan; the Dictionary of Scottish Architects: http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk; Scotland's People: http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.

Cameron, Henry

  • S695
  • Person

Henry Cameron was born on 27 March 1889 and first attended evening classes in Drawing and Painting at The Glasgow School of Art in 1903/4 while living at 9 Temple Gardens in Anniesland. His occupation is listed as coachpainter and this is mentioned again in his enrollment on the same course for the following session, 1904/5. After a gap of several years, he registered again in 1915/6 and 1917/8. For both sessions, his address is given as 83 Elderslie Street and his occupation changes to heraldry painter, then reverts to coachpainter for his final year of study.

Post Office street directories suggest he must have moved to Elderslie Street some time after 1912. He does not appear to have been born in Scotland.<p/>For many years, the College Prospectus included a breakdown of students by occupation, and in 1915-16, of the 524 ordinary students registered at the School, 10 were listed as 'housepainters, china painters etc.' This was well down on the previous year, when there were twenty from this background, and may reflect the numbers of young men signing up.

Cameron, Jean

  • S774
  • Person

Jean Cameron designed and built the set for the 1984 fashion show.

Cameron, Jeanie S

  • S692
  • Person

Jeanie S Cameron was born on the 17 of July 1897 and studied at the Glasgow School of Art as a day student in the Drawing and Painting class. Her term time address is given as c/o Todd, 2 Teviot Terrace, Kelvinside and her home address Greenhill, Fort William. This may be the same Jeanie Cameron who in 1901 census is listed as staying at the home of her 78 year old grandmother Jessie at New Pier Terrace in the parish of Kilmallie in Argyll. Listed at the same address were six other adult Camerons and four children.

Cameron, John

  • S189
  • Person

John Cameron was a student at the Glasgow School of Art c1914. He is listed in the School's World War One Roll of Honour.

If you have any more information, please get in touch.

Cameron, Margaret

  • S656
  • Person

Margaret Cameron was born on 12 February 1894, the eldest of six children. Her father James Cameron was a Measurer and Valuator and a partner in the business R. G. Stirling and Cameron. In 1902 he is listed as a member of the Council of the Glasgow Institute of Measurers, and was practicing from 102 Bath Street in Glasgow. His home address is given as 10 Carrington Street, Kelvin, the address from which Margaret first registered at The Glasgow School of Art as an afternnon student in the Drawing and Painting Department in 1909. Mr Jackson and Mr Nicholas were her teachers that year. For the 1910/11 session she returned as a day student, again to study Drawing and Painting, including a class in Antique and Preparatory darwing taught by Mr Allan D Mainds. In 1911/12 she took Drawing and Painting again, this time under the tutelage of Prof Artot and Mr Huck, however when she returned for the 1912/13 session she enrolled in the Design class and taking this course again in 1913/14 and 1914/15 when she won a Travel Bursary of £5.

She registered again in 1915-1916 for an afternoon session, class unspecified. From 1916-1918 she took an evening class in architecture studying under Alexander McGibbon, Professor at the Glasgow School of Architecture. <p/>sources: Ancestry.com; Scottish PO Directories 1828-1912.

Campbell, Agnes A

  • P833
  • Person
  • fl 1897-1900

Agnes Campbell first enrolled at the Glasgow School of Art in 1897; the Register notes her profession as a teacher and her address as 74 Hyndland Street. The same address was given the following year, though for the 1899-1900 session, she lived at 35 Thornwood Drive.

Campbell, Annie Osborne

  • S734
  • Person

Artist Annie Osborne Campbell was born 27 May 1889, is recorded as having attended The Glasgow School of Art (GSA) from 1910 to 1918. An oil painting which she executed under the tutelage of Allan D. Mainds during the 1913-1914 session was sold at auction by Whytes in Dublin on 24 February, 2014. Notes from the http://www.the-saleroom.com/ entry states: "This painting was formerly in the collection of Lissadell House and the sitter is thought to be a nanny employed by the Gore-Booth family. A pencil sketch by Constance Markievicz, sold through Whyte's [26th November 2007, ex lot 94] bears a striking resemblance to the sitter. In her first year Campbell studied afternoon classes of 'Preparatory Antique; Ornament and Preparatory Painting' under Alexander Musgrove with a registered address at 970 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow. Between 1912 and 1914, her address changed to 89 Marlborough Avenue, Broomhill and her focus was 'Drawing and Painting' as a day student. From 1914 to 1918 GSA records note a further change of address, to the Smithston Poorhouse and Asylum, Greenock. She continues as a day student and is awarded a number of bursaries; 1914/1915, Bursary £2, 1915/1916 the Haldane Travelling Scholarship, £50 and 1917/1918 a "Special Bursary". From 1916/1917 she adds 'Life; Lettering and Studio' to her subjects. The final entry in her GSA records date to 1917/1918. These are scored through and marked "not coming". Canmore records that, "This poorhouse which also contained asylum accommodation for the mentally ill, was built to replace an earlier poorhouse in Greenock which had been condemned in the early 1870s. Originally built with 3 wings, the one to the West was demolished in the mid 20th century. The remaining wing to the East was originally the asylum with the wing to the North housing offices. The asylum housed 150 patients, and there were 450 paupers in the poorhouse. Each of the units had separate dining halls in the centre of the complex. All were under the supervision of a governor and resident doctor. To the West was the infirmary and it provided accommodation for 100 patients. Larger poorhouses, such as this one, often had adjoining infirmaries to house the sick. Further to the West, and detached from the infirmary, was a contagious ward which was demolished in the mid 20th century. A number of service buildings for the poorhouse are incorporated into the original plan and are situated in the courtyard and to the South. The cost of the building was £80,000 and this expense was criticised by some contemporaries who referred to it as "The Palace of the Kip Valley". During World War One, a section of the building was used for military casualties. After 1930 it became a Poor Law Hospital. In 1939 the Admiralty took over the premises and in 1941, it became the UK headquarters of the Canadian Navy and known as HMCS Niobe. With the advent of the National Health Service in 1948 the building became known as Ravenscraig Hospital and latterly provided care for the elderly and mentally ill".

Sources:

Campbell, Catriona

  • S738
  • Person

Born on the 5th of November 1898, it seems likely that this is Catriona McK Campbell, daughter of John Campbell, a solicitor in Oban, and Jane Campbell (nee Forbes) of Hillhead, Glasgow. The 1901 census lists the family as living at 'Tighaneus' in Oban, with another daughter, Agnes, two years older than Catriona. Completing the household was a twenty year old servant, Annie Nicolson, who came from Barra. Catriona first enrolled as a day student studying Drawing and Painting in 1916. In that year, 585 students enrolled at the Art School, twenty eight of whom came from Argyll. Her term time address was listed as 777 New City Road, where she stayed for the following three sessions, leaving the School in 1920. She was obviously a successful student, winning the Messrs Roberson and Sons first prize for painting in 1917. In the same year, the register records receipt of a Carnegie bursary and a 'Highland Soc' award, presumably the annual day school bursary awarded by the Glasgow Highland Society, and a figure of £40 is clearly legible in this column. Her 1917 enrolment also records that at New City Road, she was staying 'care of' Mrs D Stewart, and that her home address was Argyll Mansions in Oban. It appears the family had moved to this address from Tighaneus. Argyll Mansions, described as one of Scotland's finest tenements, was built between 1905 and 1907 and designed by William Leiper. Probably best known today for his designs for the Templeton Carpet Factory on Glasgow Green, Leiper's domestic designs were popular with the affluent professional families and he deigned many grand villas in and around Helensburgh and Kilmacolm. In 1921 a student called Ian Campbell, also with a home address of Argyll Mansions, Oban, enrolled to study architecture (student no. 835) He too stayed 'care of' a Mrs D Stewart, though living at 461 Maryhill Road. Born on the 22nd of October 1902, he was born after the date of the 1901 census, but it seems very likely that this was Catriona's younger brother.

Campbell, Charles Howard

  • S736
  • Person

A student at The Glasgow School of Art for many years, Charles first appears on the Register for the 1910/11 session living at 24 McAslin Street and working as a boxcutter. The following year he enrols again (now living at 49 Edmund Street, Dennistoun), this time his occupation is given as ticket writer and he continues to re-enroll annually until 1922. He switches from evening classes in life drawing and drawing and painting to Saturday afternoon classes in 1917. By 1914, he is recorded as working as a warehouseman and by 1920 he is a storeman. It is interesting that his address stayed constant throughout his time at the School as his early years and family background suggest a more peripatetic existence. Though born in Ayr, by the time of the 1891 census he was staying with his uncle, William M Alston, at 50 Cecil Street in Govan. Also in the household were three of William Alston's siblings, a niece, Mary A Campbell (then aged 9), Charles Howard Campbell and three female servants. The census records that the Alstons were all born in Australia and Charles sister, Mary was born in China. By 1901, the date of the next census, Charles is living at 68 West King Street in Helensburgh. Mary Alston Campbell, Charles' sister is recorded as Head of household and another sister Margaret, two years younger than Charles, also now appears on the list. In this census, Mary's place of birth is no longer China, but is given as Formosa, Japan (the territory had changed hands by this date) and Margaret, the youngest of the three Campbell children was born in "Perroy Chira" but noted as a British subject, suggesting that this is a misprint, and that 'Chira' should be China. An aunt, Margaret Scott Alston, then aged 58, was also in the household, recorded as 'living on own means' and one female servant. It's an intriguing history and suggests that the Campbell parents were overseas - as diplomats or missionaries perhaps - and sent the children to Scotland to be cared for by relatives.

Campbell, Corrie

  • S743
  • Person

Mrs Corrie Campbell was born on the 28th December 1879. She enrolled as a student on the Drawing and Painting course for three years from 1918, each year giving her home address as 220 West Regent Street, Glasgow. She studied as an evening student during her first year, then switched to the afternoon sessions. The entry for the 1919 - 1920 session suggests that she chose to study three afternoons a week, and was taught by Miss Allan who specialised in watercolour. There were very few married women on the School register at this time. Older than the majority of students, it seems likely she was persuing a personal interest in art rather than looking to train for a career, though she did exhibit a picture of Kirkwall Cathedral at the Royal Glasgow institute of Fine Arts in 1921. There is no mention of an occupation in any of her entries.

If you have any further information please get in touch.

Campbell, Daniel Livingstone

  • S191
  • Person

Daniel Livingstone Campbell was born in the Gorbals in Glasgow on the 16th of September 1894. He was one of six children of Marion Campbell, a French polisher, widow of John Campbell, an upholsterer. Daniel attended The Glasgow School of Art from 1912 to 1914 and from 1918 to 1919 as a part-time student in Drawing and Painting. He joined the Territorial Army in 1911. In his Attestation certificate, signed the 3rd of April 1911, he was described as an apprentice engraver, with 5 and a half years of his apprenticeship completed at D Cunninghame, 48 Buchanan Street, Glasgow. During the First World War, Daniel served in the 9th battalion in The Highland Light Infantry. He spent 302 days in France, suffering a gunshot wound to his left hand in 1915. He was discharged in 1916 at the end of his contract. After the war, he worked as an engineer. Daniel Campbell is commemorated on the Glasgow School of Art's First World War Roll of Honour.

If you have any more information, please get in touch.

Sources: Scotland's People: http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk; Ancestry: http://www.ancestry.co.uk.

Campbell, Duncan

  • S1081
  • Person

Campbell, Duncan, born 1887. Enrolled for one year only as an evening student of Drawing and Painting in 1918 (reg. no. 577) His occupation was recorded as engineer and his home address, 271 Kilbowie Road, Clydebank. This address was shared by another student, Margaret Mary Campbell who also studied Drawing and Painting as an evening student. It seems likely they were siblings and it may be that Duncan took the course to chaperone his younger sister.

Campbell, Edith M

  • S735
  • Person

The Glasgow School of Art Alphabetical and General Student Registers for the year 1914/15 list two students under the name of Campbell thought to be from the same family. Lucy Campbell was born on the 28th of May 1894 with a registration number of 457 and Edith was born on the 1[sup]st[/sup] of September 1895 with a registration number 398. Both students are listed at the same address – 3 Hamilton Drive, Glasgow. Edith enrolled as a day student in drawing and painting and Lucy registered for an afternoon class, but her field of study was not recorded. A second address for Lucy is also included in the register at Tighnuilt, Lochgoilhead, Argylshire. The following school year, 1915/16, Edith M Campbell, born 1[sup]st[/sup] of October 1895 with a registration number of 410 enrolled as a day student on the Drawing and Painting course. She gives the same Argyll address as her home address and records 3 Kirklee Road as her term time residence. Despite the slightly different birth dates, it seems likely that the two Ediths are one and the same and that Lucy and Edith were sisters. The 1901 census includes the family of William K Campbell, a mechanical engineer, and his wife Catherine J Campbell living in Oakshaw Head House in Paisley. The Campbells had two daughters, Lucy born in 1894 and Edith born in 1895. Mr Campbell's young brother in law also stayed with the family. It was obviously a prosperous home and in addition to the family, the census records a live in cook and domestic servant.

Campbell, Elaine

  • S776
  • Person

Elaine Campbell studied Printed Textiles at GSA, graduating in 1988. She modelled in the 1986 fashion show.

As at July 2017, Elaine is a Lead Designer at The Walt Disney Company, including product development.

Source: LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com

Campbell, Euphemia

  • S740
  • Person

Euphemia Lily Campbell was born on the 8th October 1893. She first enrolled at the School of Art as an evening student studying design - fashion plate drawing – in 1916. Her home address was recorded as 143 Firpark Street in Dennistoun and her occupation given as dressmaker. She may be the daughter of Robert (born c1844) and Margaret Campbell of 9 Drumother Mansions, Shettleton. Robert was a tinsmith, and at the time of the 1901 census, the father of five children. His son was also a tinsmith in 1901 and his two oldest daughters were employed as confectionary workers. Euphemia enrolled on the same course again in 1917-18, when she was described as an art student. The following year, 1918-19, was her last at the School and she studied Drawing and Painting. By this date she was working as an embroidery designer. For her first year at the School, her course was led by Norah Neilson Gray. The following year Fashion Plate Drawing was taught by Dorothy Carleton Smith, who went on to be selected as the first female principal of the School, but sadly died before she could take up the appointment. The Fashion Plate Drawing Diploma course at this time included the study of the human figure in nature and in art, the study of drapery and material, the making of drawings for the illustration of catalogues, advertisements etc and the designing of dresses as models for dressmakers and tailors.

Campbell, J

  • S192
  • Person

J Campbell was a student at the Glasgow School of Art c1914. He is listed in the School's World War One Roll of Honour.

If you have any more information, please get in touch.

Campbell, J R

  • P708
  • Person
  • fl 1996 -

J.R. Campbell completed a Bachelor of Science in Environmental Design in 1994 and a Master of Fine Arts in Textile Arts and Costume Design from the University of California in 1996. He then taught, textiles, computer-aided fashion design and colour theory in San Francisco before being appointed assistant professor in the Department of Textiles and Clothing at Iowa State University in 1998. He was tenured and promoted to Associate Professor there in 2004. In July 2005, he moved to Scotland to become Research Fellow at the Centre for Advanced Textiles at the Glasgow School of Art, where he directed research for the Centre, located in the School of Design. While in Glasgow, Campbell completed a Postgraduate Certificate (PGCert.) course in Supervising Postgraduate Research Degrees for Professionals in Art, Design and Communication from the Centre for Learning and Teaching in Art and Design at University of the Arts London, which was granted in November 2006. He has been a visiting scholar and conducted workshops at the Beijing Institute of Fashion Technology in China and the Auckland University of Technology's Textile Design Laboratory in New Zealand.Campbell started his position as Professor and Director of The Fashion School at Kent State University Ohio in July 2009.

Campbell, Jessie McGregor

  • S1082
  • Person

Campbell, Jessie McGregor, born 24/11/1899 studied as a 'Junior Student' in the 1915-1916 session, taking Drawing and Painting on Saturday mornings. Her home address was 90 Westmoreland Street.

If you have any more information, please get in touch.

Results 301 to 350 of 2218