15th June 2018

Taxonomy

Details / Notes

There was a fire in The Glasgow School of Art's Mackintosh Building on 15th June 2018.

Code

S1506

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Hierarchical terms

15th June 2018

Equivalent terms

15th June 2018

Associated terms

15th June 2018

40 Archival description results for 15th June 2018

40 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

Carved tablet to Sir James Fleming

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018.

A carved tribute panel dedicated to Sir James Fleming (Chairman of GSA's Board of Governors). Located on the half landing between the ground and first floors of the Mackintosh Building. Panel unveiled, 17 January 1903.

Frampton, Sir George James

Coat of Arms for the stairwell at Glasgow School of Art

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018. The bell is all that remains.

The symbols which form the Glasgow coat of arms all refer to miracles performed by St. Mungo, the patron saint of the city who is normally represented with these emblems on the coat of arms. They first appeared on the seals of bishops of Glasgow, the fish on the seal of William Wishart in 1270, the bird on the seal of Robert Wishart in 1271. They were used together for the first time on the seal of the Chapter of Glasgow in 1488. The salmon with the ring in its mouth refers to the story of the local Queen who gave her ring to a knight she was in love with, the jealous King stole the ring from the knight while he was asleep and then demanded it back from the Queen, having thrown it into the Clyde. In desperation she prayed to St. Mungo who told his followers to cast their fishing nets in the river and bring him the first fish that they caught, a salmon with the Queen's ring in its mouth. The tree represents the green hazel twig which Mungo restored to life after his companions had killed it. The bell represents the service bell used in Mungo's church and still in Glasgow until c1700. Mackintosh's tree is highly abstract in its Art Nouveau 'whiplash' spirals untypical of his work. The bird is a modern replacement of the stolen original.

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie

Coat of Arms for the stairwell at Glasgow School of Art (Version 1)

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018. The bell is all that remains.

The symbols which form the Glasgow coat of arms all refer to miracles performed by St. Mungo, the patron saint of the city who is normally represented with these emblems on the coat of arms. They first appeared on the seals of bishops of Glasgow, the fish on the seal of William Wishart in 1270, the bird on the seal of Robert Wishart in 1271. They were used together for the first time on the seal of the Chapter of Glasgow in 1488. The salmon with the ring in its mouth refers to the story of the local Queen who gave her ring to a knight she was in love with, the jealous King stole the ring from the knight while he was asleep and then demanded it back from the Queen, having thrown it into the Clyde. In desperation she prayed to St. Mungo who told his followers to cast their fishing nets in the river and bring him the first fish that they caught, a salmon with the Queen's ring in its mouth. The tree represents the green hazel twig which Mungo restored to life after his companions had killed it. The bell represents the service bell used in Mungo's church and still in Glasgow until c1700. Mackintosh's tree is highly abstract in its Art Nouveau 'whiplash' spirals untypical of his work. The bird is a modern replacement of the stolen original.

Coat of Arms for the stairwell at Glasgow School of Art (Version 2)

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018. The bell is all that remains.

The symbols which form the Glasgow coat of arms all refer to miracles performed by St. Mungo, the patron saint of the city who is normally represented with these emblems on the coat of arms. They first appeared on the seals of bishops of Glasgow, the fish on the seal of William Wishart in 1270, the bird on the seal of Robert Wishart in 1271. They were used together for the first time on the seal of the Chapter of Glasgow in 1488. The salmon with the ring in its mouth refers to the story of the local Queen who gave her ring to a knight she was in love with, the jealous King stole the ring from the knight while he was asleep and then demanded it back from the Queen, having thrown it into the Clyde. In desperation she prayed to St. Mungo who told his followers to cast their fishing nets in the river and bring him the first fish that they caught, a salmon with the Queen's ring in its mouth. The tree represents the green hazel twig which Mungo restored to life after his companions had killed it. The bell represents the service bell used in Mungo's church and still in Glasgow until c1700. Mackintosh's tree is highly abstract in its Art Nouveau 'whiplash' spirals untypical of his work. The bird is a modern replacement of the stolen original.

Coat of Arms for the stairwell at Glasgow School of Art (Version 3)

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018. The bell is all that remains.

The symbols which form the Glasgow coat of arms all refer to miracles performed by St. Mungo, the patron saint of the city who is normally represented with these emblems on the coat of arms. They first appeared on the seals of bishops of Glasgow, the fish on the seal of William Wishart in 1270, the bird on the seal of Robert Wishart in 1271. They were used together for the first time on the seal of the Chapter of Glasgow in 1488. The salmon with the ring in its mouth refers to the story of the local Queen who gave her ring to a knight she was in love with, the jealous King stole the ring from the knight while he was asleep and then demanded it back from the Queen, having thrown it into the Clyde. In desperation she prayed to St. Mungo who told his followers to cast their fishing nets in the river and bring him the first fish that they caught, a salmon with the Queen's ring in its mouth. The tree represents the green hazel twig which Mungo restored to life after his companions had killed it. The bell represents the service bell used in Mungo's church and still in Glasgow until c1700. Mackintosh's tree is highly abstract in its Art Nouveau 'whiplash' spirals untypical of his work. The bird is a modern replacement of the stolen original.

Coat of Arms for the stairwell at Glasgow School of Art (Version 4)

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018. The bell is all that remains.

The symbols which form the Glasgow coat of arms all refer to miracles performed by St. Mungo, the patron saint of the city who is normally represented with these emblems on the coat of arms. They first appeared on the seals of bishops of Glasgow, the fish on the seal of William Wishart in 1270, the bird on the seal of Robert Wishart in 1271. They were used together for the first time on the seal of the Chapter of Glasgow in 1488. The salmon with the ring in its mouth refers to the story of the local Queen who gave her ring to a knight she was in love with, the jealous King stole the ring from the knight while he was asleep and then demanded it back from the Queen, having thrown it into the Clyde. In desperation she prayed to St. Mungo who told his followers to cast their fishing nets in the river and bring him the first fish that they caught, a salmon with the Queen's ring in its mouth. The tree represents the green hazel twig which Mungo restored to life after his companions had killed it. The bell represents the service bell used in Mungo's church and still in Glasgow until c1700. Mackintosh's tree is highly abstract in its Art Nouveau 'whiplash' spirals untypical of his work. The bird is a modern replacement of the stolen original.

Coat of Arms for the stairwell at Glasgow School of Art (Version 5)

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018. The bell is all that remains.

The symbols which form the Glasgow coat of arms all refer to miracles performed by St. Mungo, the patron saint of the city who is normally represented with these emblems on the coat of arms. They first appeared on the seals of bishops of Glasgow, the fish on the seal of William Wishart in 1270, the bird on the seal of Robert Wishart in 1271. They were used together for the first time on the seal of the Chapter of Glasgow in 1488. The salmon with the ring in its mouth refers to the story of the local Queen who gave her ring to a knight she was in love with, the jealous King stole the ring from the knight while he was asleep and then demanded it back from the Queen, having thrown it into the Clyde. In desperation she prayed to St. Mungo who told his followers to cast their fishing nets in the river and bring him the first fish that they caught, a salmon with the Queen's ring in its mouth. The tree represents the green hazel twig which Mungo restored to life after his companions had killed it. The bell represents the service bell used in Mungo's church and still in Glasgow until c1700. Mackintosh's tree is highly abstract in its Art Nouveau 'whiplash' spirals untypical of his work. The bird is a modern replacement of the stolen original.

Coat of Arms for the stairwell at Glasgow School of Art (Version 6)

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018. The bell is all that remains.

The symbols which form the Glasgow coat of arms all refer to miracles performed by St. Mungo, the patron saint of the city who is normally represented with these emblems on the coat of arms. They first appeared on the seals of bishops of Glasgow, the fish on the seal of William Wishart in 1270, the bird on the seal of Robert Wishart in 1271. They were used together for the first time on the seal of the Chapter of Glasgow in 1488. The salmon with the ring in its mouth refers to the story of the local Queen who gave her ring to a knight she was in love with, the jealous King stole the ring from the knight while he was asleep and then demanded it back from the Queen, having thrown it into the Clyde. In desperation she prayed to St. Mungo who told his followers to cast their fishing nets in the river and bring him the first fish that they caught, a salmon with the Queen's ring in its mouth. The tree represents the green hazel twig which Mungo restored to life after his companions had killed it. The bell represents the service bell used in Mungo's church and still in Glasgow until c1700. Mackintosh's tree is highly abstract in its Art Nouveau 'whiplash' spirals untypical of his work. The bird is a modern replacement of the stolen original.

Coat of Arms for the stairwell at Glasgow School of Art (Version 7)

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018. The bell is all that remains.

The symbols which form the Glasgow coat of arms all refer to miracles performed by St. Mungo, the patron saint of the city who is normally represented with these emblems on the coat of arms. They first appeared on the seals of bishops of Glasgow, the fish on the seal of William Wishart in 1270, the bird on the seal of Robert Wishart in 1271. They were used together for the first time on the seal of the Chapter of Glasgow in 1488. The salmon with the ring in its mouth refers to the story of the local Queen who gave her ring to a knight she was in love with, the jealous King stole the ring from the knight while he was asleep and then demanded it back from the Queen, having thrown it into the Clyde. In desperation she prayed to St. Mungo who told his followers to cast their fishing nets in the river and bring him the first fish that they caught, a salmon with the Queen's ring in its mouth. The tree represents the green hazel twig which Mungo restored to life after his companions had killed it. The bell represents the service bell used in Mungo's church and still in Glasgow until c1700. Mackintosh's tree is highly abstract in its Art Nouveau 'whiplash' spirals untypical of his work. The bird is a modern replacement of the stolen original.

Coat of Arms for the stairwell at Glasgow School of Art (Version 8)

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018. The bell is all that remains.

The symbols which form the Glasgow coat of arms all refer to miracles performed by St. Mungo, the patron saint of the city who is normally represented with these emblems on the coat of arms. They first appeared on the seals of bishops of Glasgow, the fish on the seal of William Wishart in 1270, the bird on the seal of Robert Wishart in 1271. They were used together for the first time on the seal of the Chapter of Glasgow in 1488. The salmon with the ring in its mouth refers to the story of the local Queen who gave her ring to a knight she was in love with, the jealous King stole the ring from the knight while he was asleep and then demanded it back from the Queen, having thrown it into the Clyde. In desperation she prayed to St. Mungo who told his followers to cast their fishing nets in the river and bring him the first fish that they caught, a salmon with the Queen's ring in its mouth. The tree represents the green hazel twig which Mungo restored to life after his companions had killed it. The bell represents the service bell used in Mungo's church and still in Glasgow until c1700. Mackintosh's tree is highly abstract in its Art Nouveau 'whiplash' spirals untypical of his work. The bird is a modern replacement of the stolen original.

Plaster cast of Apollo Sauroctonos (Lizard Slayer)

  • PC/006
  • Item
  • Mid 19th century-early 20th century
  • Part of Plaster Casts

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018.

Original: This cast is of a 1st - 2nd century AD Roman marble copy of the Praxiteles original (Bronze, attributed by Pliny). It shows a nude adolescent male about to catch a lizard climbing up a tree. The left arm, the right hand and the lizard's head are modern restorations. It could indirectly refer to Apollo's fight against the serpent Python or, if the lizard is an attribute of the god, it could show Apollo in his purifying function, as a destroyer of plagues. Original currently in the collection of the Louvre, Paris, France.

Plaster cast of Apoxyomenos (Vatican Apoxyomenos)

  • PC/002
  • Item
  • Mid 19th century-early 20th century
  • Part of Plaster Casts

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018.

Original: An athlete, caught in the familiar act of scraping sweat and dust from his body with the small curved instrument that the Romans called a strigil. This cast is of the legs of the cast only. Original currently in the collection of the Museo Pio-Clementino in the Vatican, Rome, Italy.

Plaster cast of Augustus of Primaporta

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018.

Original: Statue of Augustus Caesar which was discovered on April 20, 1863, in the Villa of Livia at Prima Porta, near Rome. Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus (23 Sep 63BC-19 Aug AD14) was the first ruler of the Roman Empire, which he ruled alone from January 27BC until his death in AD14. Original currently in the collection of the Braccio Nuovo of the Vatican, Rome, Italy.

Plaster cast of baptismal font

  • PC/214
  • Item
  • Mid 19th century-early 20th century
  • Part of Plaster Casts

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018.

Gilt plaster circular font. Damage sustained when student put water into the cast.

Not available / given

Plaster cast of Borghese Warrior

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018.

Original: Also known as: Discobolus, Fighting Gladiator, Hector, Heros Combattant, Borghese Gladiator. Particularly admired for its truthful rendering of anatomy. A Hellenistic sculpture actually portraying a swordsman, created at Ephesus about 100 BCE. Listed in first catalogue of casts as Greek, in the Louvre and was bought from Brucciani. Original currently in the collection of the Louvre, Paris, France.

Plaster cast of Boy of Subiaco

  • PC/021
  • Item
  • Mid 19th century-early 20th century
  • Part of Plaster Casts

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018.

Original: From the group of Niobe and her children at the Galleria Uffizi, Florence, Italy, originally found in Rome in 1583. Niobe boasted about her 14 children (the Niobids) to Leto, mother to only Artemis and Apollo. Leto demanded her children take revenge upon Niobe's hubris. Using arrows, Artemis killed Niobe's daughters and Apollo killed Niobe's sons. This cast shows one son cowering from the onslaught.

Plaster cast of Canephora (Kanephoros)

  • PC/007
  • Item
  • Mid 19th century-early 20th century
  • Part of Plaster Casts

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018.

Original: Canephora was an honorific office given to unmarried young women in ancient Greece which involved the privilege of leading the procession to sacrifice at festivals.Translated as: "Basket Bearer". Original currently in the collection of the British Museum, London, UK.

Plaster cast of Charioteer of Delphi

  • PC/008
  • Item
  • Mid 19th century-early 20th century
  • Part of Plaster Casts

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018.

Original: The life-size bronze statue of a chariot driver was found in 1896 at the Sanctuary of Apollo in Delphi and is also known as Heniokhos, the rein-holder. The statue was erected at Delphi in 474BC, to commemorate the victory of a chariot team in the Pythean Games, which were held at Delphi every four years in honor of Pythean Apollo. Original currently in the collection of the Delphi Archaeological Museum, Greece.

Plaster cast of Crouching Discobolos

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018.

Original: The Discobolus of Myron is a famous lost Greek bronze original that was completed towards the end of the Severe period, c460-450 BC. It is known through numerous Roman copies, both full-scale ones in marble, such as the first to be recovered, the Palombara Discobolus, or smaller scaled versions in bronze. Bought from Brucciani. Original currently in the collectio of the British Museum, London, UK.

Plaster cast of Dione and Aphrodite (From Hestia, Dione and Aphrodite)

  • PC/017
  • Item
  • Mid 19th century-early 20th century
  • Part of Plaster Casts

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018.

Original: Figures from the east pediment of the Parthenon depicting the birth of Athena. The Acropolis, Athens, Greece, about 438-432 BC. The two figures are thought to be Dione cradling her daughter Aphrodite; they are remarkable for their naturalistic rendering of anatomy blended with a harmonious representation of complex draperies. However, another suggestion is that the two figures on the right are the personification of the Sea (Thalassa) in the lap of the Earth (Gaia). Original currently in the collection of the British Museum, London, UK.

Plaster cast of Germanicus (Marcellus)

  • PC/011B
  • Item
  • Mid 19th century-early 20th century
  • Part of Plaster Casts

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018.

Original: The original scaled Roman statue of c50BC by the sculptor Kleomenes. The Nude male statue, erroneously identified as Germanicus, a member of the family of the Emperor Augustus, probably should be considered a portrait of a member of a wealthy family of the late Republic. Original currently in the collection of the Louvre, Paris, France.

Plaster cast of Germanicus (Marcellus)

  • PC/011A
  • Item
  • Mid 19th century-early 20th century
  • Part of Plaster Casts

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018.

Original: The original scaled Roman statue of c50BC by the sculptor Kleomenes. The Nude male statue, erroneously identified as Germanicus, a member of the family of the Emperor Augustus, probably should be considered a portrait of a member of a wealthy family of the late Republic. Original currently in the collection of the Louvre, Paris, France.

Plaster cast of Giuliano de' Medici

  • PC/039
  • Item
  • Mid 19th century-early 20th century
  • Part of Plaster Casts

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018.

Original: Michelangelo, c1526-1534. Giuliano di Lorenzo de' Medici (12 Mar 1479-17 Mar 1516) was an Italian nobleman, one of three sons of Lorenzo the Magnificent. Original currently in the Medici Chapel in the Church of San Lorenzo, Florence, Italy.

Plaster cast of King and Queen Column (Royal Portal Chartres Cathedral)

  • PC/031
  • Item
  • Mid 19th century-early 20th century
  • Part of Plaster Casts

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018.

Original: Also known as the Porte Royale, the West Portal was carved by 1150. The sculptures and reliefs were modelled on those in the triple west portal at St. Denis and at Chartres Cathedral.

Plaster cast of Laocoon and his Sons

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018. All that remains is a fragment of a hand.

Original: This statue group was found in 1506 on the Esquiline Hill in Rome and immediately identified as the Laocoon described by Pliny the Elder as a masterpiece of the sculptors of Rhodes: Agesander, Athenodoros and Polydorus around 40-30 BC. It shows the Trojan priest Laocoon and his sons Antiphantes and Thymbraeus being strangled by sea serpents. In 1587 Giovanni Battista Armenini's treatise on painting and recommended all students to draw from the casts of the finest statues in Rome- 'the Laocoon, the Hercules, the Apollo, the Great Torso....' of the Belvedere. Listed in first catalogue as Greco-Roman and that the original is located in the Vatican. Original currently in the collection of the Vatican Museums, Rome, Italy.

This item was damaged in the fire in the Mackintosh Building on 23rd May 2014. It underwent conservation and consolidation work in 2016.

Plaster cast of lion and serpent

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018.

Original: Antoine-Louis Barye (Paris, 1795-1875). Original currently in the collection of the Louvre, Paris, France.

Plaster cast of Lorenzo de' Medici

  • PC/040
  • Item
  • Mid 19th century-early 20th century
  • Part of Plaster Casts

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018.

Original: Michelangelo, c1526-1534. Lorenzo de' Medici (01 Jan 1449-09 Apr 1492) was an Italian statesman and de facto ruler of the Florentine Republic during the Italian Renaissance. Original currently in the Medici Chapel in the Church of San Lorenzo, Florence, Italy.

This item was damaged in the fire in the Mackintosh Building on 23rd May 2014. It underwent conservation and consolidation work in 2016.

Plaster cast of Madonna of Bruges (Madonna and Child)

  • PC/041
  • Item
  • Mid 19th century-early 20th century
  • Part of Plaster Casts

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018.

Figure of Mary with the infant Jesus. Original: Michelangelo, 1501-1504. Original currently in the Onze Lieve Vrouwekerk, Bruges, Belgium.

This item was damaged in the fire in the Mackintosh Building on 23rd May 2014. It underwent conservation and consolidation work in 2016.

Plaster cast of Nike of Samothrace (Winged Victory)

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018.

Original: A second century BC marble sculpture of the Greek goddess Nike (Victory). Discovered in 1863, on the island of Samothrace. Thought to be by a discple of Lysippus or by pupils of Scopas. It was created to not only honor the goddess, Nike, but to honor a sea battle. Original currently in the collection of the Louvre, Paris, France.

Plaster cast of Saint George

  • PC/037
  • Item
  • Mid 19th century-early 20th century
  • Part of Plaster Casts

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018.

Original: Donatello, c1416. Was placed in a niche on the north wall of Orsanmichele, Florence, Italy. Original in Museo Nazionale del Bargello, Florence, Italy.

Plaster cast of Teucer

  • PC/054
  • Item
  • Mid 19th century to 20th century
  • Part of Plaster Casts

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018.

Original: Sir Hamo Thornycroft, 1881. The champion Greek archer Teucer was one of the heroes of Homer's story of the Trojan War. Original currently in the collection of Tate Britain, London, UK.

Plaster cast of the Belvedere Apollo (also called Pythian Apollo)

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018.

Original: The Apollo is thought to be a Roman copy of Hadrianic date (120 - 140 BC) of a lost bronze original made between 350 and 325 BC by the Greek sculptor Leochares. Statue depicts the Greek god Apollo, who has just overtaken the serpent Python, the cthonic serpent of Delphi. Apollo has been variously recognized as a god of light and the sun; truth and prophecy; archery; medicine, healing and plague; music, poetry, and the arts; and more. Apollo is the son of Zeus and Leto, and has a twin sister, the chaste huntress Artemis. Listed in first catalogue of casts as Greco-Roman and from the Vatican Museum, and purchased from D. Brucciani. Original currently in the collection of the Vatican Museum, Rome, italy.

Plaster cast of the Dying Slave

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018.

Original: Michelangelo, originally for the tomb of Pope Julius II in 1505, began to carve the Slaves in 1513, as part of a modified project. On the Pope's death, the project changed once again, for financial reasons. Michelangelo donated the Slaves to Roberto Strozzi, who brought them to France. Original currently in the collection of the Louvre, Paris, France.

Plaster cast of the Rebellious Slave

  • PC/042
  • Item
  • Mid 19th century-early 20th century
  • Part of Plaster Casts

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018.

Original: Michelangelo, originally for the tomb of Pope Julius II in 1505, began to carve the Slaves in 1513, as part of a modified project. On the pope's death, the project changed once again, for financial reasons. Michelangelo donated the Slaves to Roberto Strozzi, who brought them to France. Original currently in the collection of the Louvre, Paris, France.

Plaster cast of the Wrestlers

  • PC/027
  • Item
  • Mid 19th century-early 20th century
  • Part of Plaster Casts

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018.

Original: Also known as: Antique Boxers, Grecian Boxers, La Lotta, Lottatori. Roman Wrestlers Roman marble sculpture after a lost Greek original of the third century BCE, discovered near Porta S. Giovanni, Rome. Head and right arm of uppermost figure are 16th century restorations. The two young men are engaged in the sport called Pankration. Original currently in the collection of the Uffizi, Florence, Italy.

Plaster cast of Venus de Milo (Aphrodite of Milos)

  • PC/023B
  • Item
  • Mid 19th century-early 20th century
  • Part of Plaster Casts

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018.

Original: Created at some time between 130 and 100 BC, to revive pre-hellenistic ideas. It is believed to depict Aphrodite (Venus to the Romans) the Greek goddess of love and beauty. Original excavated in 1820 on the Island of Melos. Original currently in the collection of the Louvre, Paris, France.

Plaster cast of Venus de Milo (Aphrodite of Milos)

  • PC/023A
  • Item
  • Mid 19th century-early 20th century
  • Part of Plaster Casts

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018.

Original: Created at some time between 130 and 100 BC, to revive pre-hellenistic ideas. It is believed to depict Aphrodite (Venus to the Romans) the Greek goddess of love and beauty. Original excavated in 1820 on the Island of Melos. Original currently in the collection of the Louvre, Paris, France.

Windsor chair (back-rail spindle) for the Library, Glasgow School of Art, 1910

This item was lost in the fire in The Mackintosh Building at The Glasgow School of Art on 15th June 2018.
This item was assessed for conservation in 2010 as part of the Mackintosh Conservation and Access Project (2006-2010).
This single spindle is from the curved back rail of a Windsor chair, formerly in the library of Glasgow School of Art. Designed for the Library at Glasgow School of Art. A more elegant version of the windsor chairs designed for the Dutch Kitchen at Argyle Street (Billcliffe 1906.49). These chairs proved much too delicate for their original purpose; only eight of approximately forty have survived, and all of these have had to be reinforced. They were replaced in the GSA Library c1950 by the much sturdier chairs originally designed for the Ingram Street Tea Rooms, MC/F/67. The Ingram Street Tea Rooms were purchased by Glasgow Corporation in 1951 for £25,000 and were then rented out as various shops and warehouses.

Mackintosh, Charles Rennie